E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY: Shredded / Broken Serpentine Belt Repair/Inspect Procedure - E90, E9X 335i N54

10-30-2023, 07:58 PM   #67
star335
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 bmw 335I

can someone tell me if this seal is intact or not? thank you in advance
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-23-2023, 08:57 PM   #68
CLEAN13BOOSTED
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW E93 3351

Seal looks fine. No signs of seepage or leak, looks good!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2024, 08:33 PM   #69
udfxrookie
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

Since this thread is still living, I gotta ask... what's the worst that can go... and what would be salvageable?
Mainly asking because I spun a rod bearing and am looking for a new crank and have seen engines for sale with this being the problem. COULD the crank go bad... or the engine spin a bearing? I know the oil pump could be toast, passages, timing chain, bent valves and on and on... but chances of it damaging the crank?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2024, 06:31 PM   #70
DTWinters
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 with Sport Package

Front seal compromised?

Yesterday, I drove home roughly 15 miles from a friend's place. While driving roughly 60 mph I noticed my AC was no longer blowing cold and I got a red battery symbol and "Battery not charging" warning on my 2011 E93 (91,500 miles). About 3 miles later I was on a flyover and noticed that my power steering wasn't working. Two more miles and I was home. The car idled a little rough before I shut it down after a minute.

I drove half a mile to an Advance Auto store and while dude was trying to work his test tool on the alternator which I thought might be bad, I noticed my accessory belt was missing.

Long story short, they didn't have it in stock and I drove home. It was raining hard and my car started freaking out (performing poorly and the dashboard glitching) and basically died as I got home. The battery was super drained. I coasted into my carport. After ordering a new Gates belt off Amazon, I found this thread. I didn't sleep well last night. Today, I pulled the crankshaft pulley off and found some of the shredded belt at the front crank seal (first pic and pile on the left of second pic).

Does this seal look compromised? Very established indy shop in Austin, TX gave an estimate of $580 to replace seal (and look around behind it). Second bid of $1,385 to pull oil pan if that is necessary. I get one free tow per mechanical issue from my insurance, so I want to pick the right shop with appropriate pricing. Just last week my home AC went out so I'm out a bunch of money between these two challenges!

Thanks for helping to set my expectations here.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-02-2024, 09:25 PM   #71
mr_malvo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Sorry to hear. The second picture looks concerning but, the third picture looks alright. If the belt broke through the seal you would have a visible path through the block - I don't see that in your pictures. If during cleanup no belt pieces needed to be pulled from the seal, and no pieces were stuck in between the seal and the block, then seems to me you are ok.

Belt replacement, drive around for a few miles and then monitor the seal area for leaks. Worst case replace the seal but, it doesn't look like the engine ingested belt pieces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTWinters View Post
Yesterday, I drove home roughly 15 miles from a friend's place. While driving roughly 60 mph I noticed my AC was no longer blowing cold and I got a red battery symbol and "Battery not charging" warning on my 2011 E93 (91,500 miles). About 3 miles later I was on a flyover and noticed that my power steering wasn't working. Two more miles and I was home. The car idled a little rough before I shut it down after a minute.

I drove half a mile to an Advance Auto store and while dude was trying to work his test tool on the alternator which I thought might be bad, I noticed my accessory belt was missing.

Long story short, they didn't have it in stock and I drove home. It was raining hard and my car started freaking out (performing poorly and the dashboard glitching) and basically died as I got home. The battery was super drained. I coasted into my carport. After ordering a new Gates belt off Amazon, I found this thread. I didn't sleep well last night. Today, I pulled the crankshaft pulley off and found some of the shredded belt at the front crank seal (first pic and pile on the left of second pic).

Does this seal look compromised? Very established indy shop in Austin, TX gave an estimate of $580 to replace seal (and look around behind it). Second bid of $1,385 to pull oil pan if that is necessary. I get one free tow per mechanical issue from my insurance, so I want to pick the right shop with appropriate pricing. Just last week my home AC went out so I'm out a bunch of money between these two challenges!

Thanks for helping to set my expectations here.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2024, 03:29 PM   #72
DTWinters
Rep

Clogged oil return?

Installed a new H8 AGM Everlast battery (indy wanted $518 total) for $190 and my time. There's a great YouTube video with a pro tip here (
). Got the crankshaft pulley back on (tough to get first bolt threaded!) and installed the new belt.

Car started right up. Sporadically idled a little rough, dropping below 500 rpm and popping up about 800 rpm to catch itself. Drove a few blocks and there weren't any error messages. Pulled over ,opened the oil fill cap, and a little steam/smoke wafted out. Drove home, about a mile total. Opened cap and more steam/smoke wafted out. Engine seemed hot for not much runtime. Looked in cap and I could see metal bottom (of the cylinder head?). Internal gauge stated oil level was right in the middle. I poured roughly a quart in and can still see metal on the bottom including a torx bolt head. The belly pan is off and 20 minutes after the drive no oil has dripped down from the front seal.

Anyone have thoughts on my challenge? Could shredded belt get past the seal and clog the oil pump without wrecking the seal? Do I just need to say a few Hail Marys and drive it around this weekend? I fear having to spend over $1K just to see if there is a lot more damage. I fear spending money needlessly when I'm already going to spend $5,800 to replace my home AC next week. When it rains it pours!

Or, am I being a hypochondriac and the car would be throwing warnings at me if oil weren't circulating properly? I hope so!

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!
Attached Images

Last edited by DTWinters; 05-03-2024 at 04:34 PM.. Reason: Second thoughts
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2024, 04:48 PM   #73
mr_malvo
Private
Rep

Severe oil leaks from a badly damaged front seal would be rather noticeable. A few miles of driving should reveal one. If things look dry from both the radiator side and the bottom of the car, then sounds like you're good to go.

Quote:
Installed a new H8 AGM Everlast battery (indy wanted $518 total) for $190 and my time. There's a great YouTube video with a pro tip here. Got the crankshaft pulley back on (tough to get first bolt threaded!) and installed the new belt.

Car started right up. Sporadically idled a little rough, dropping below 500 rpm and popping up about 800 rpm to catch itself. Drove a few blocks and there weren't any error messages. Pulled over ,opened the oil fill cap, and a little steam/smoke wafted out. Drove home, about a mile total. Opened cap and more steam/smoke wafted out. Engine seemed hot for not much runtime. Looked in cap and I could see metal bottom (of the cylinder head?). Internal gauge stated oil level was right in the middle. I poured roughly a quart in and can still see metal on the bottom including a torx bolt head. The belly pan is off and 20 minutes after the drive no oil has dripped down from the front seal.

Anyone have thoughts on my challenge? Could shredded belt get past the seal and clog the oil pump without wrecking the seal? Do I just need to say a few Hail Marys and drive it around this weekend? I fear having to spend over $1K just to see if there is a lot more damage. I fear spending money needlessly when I'm already going to spend $5,800 to replace my home AC next week. When it rains it pours!

Or, am I being a hypochondriac and the car would be throwing warnings at me if oil weren't circulating properly? I hope so!

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

Last edited by mr_malvo; 05-04-2024 at 09:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2024, 03:11 PM   #74
DTWinters
Rep

Error codes 29E0 and 29E1 after belt replaced

Update:

I have driven 55 miles since removing my crankshaft pulley, cleaning out all the shredded belt, and replacing the belt. This broken belt also killed off my weak battery so that was replaced. I did all the work myself. And no oil has dripped from my car as it sits in my carport after 6 separate trips including 10 min stretches at highway speeds.

The call stalled once 2 miles after the repairs. It started right back up. The "Service Engine Soon" light came on and the BimmerLink app displayed error codes 29E0 and 29E1 as described in the screenshots below. The codes displayed again after I reset them, but not immediately.

These codes never displayed before the belt broke and this repair was completed. Of note, I did remove the mass air flow sensor while removing the air filter housing to create more room to work on the crankshaft pulley.

1. Are these codes after this repair concerning enough that I should stop driving the car?

2. On this second thread (https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...1#post31126181) Efthreeoh opined that I have a vacuum leak. Wouldn't oil seep out of the seal onto the floor when the engine is hot, but not running?

3. Facing a $730 cost (includes $120 in required BMW dealer only sealant stuff!) to replace the front seal, does it make sense to replace the 12 year old mass air flow sensor for $33 to see if that resolves the error code situation? That part can even be returned.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

P.S. Yes, I should not have split the thread to ask about not seeing pooled oil when I look in the filling hole. Seemingly, that was a non issue as the car is running well 99.9% of the time.
Attached Images

Last edited by DTWinters; 05-06-2024 at 03:13 PM.. Reason: Added pics
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2024, 08:09 PM   #75
mr_malvo
Private
Rep

1. I'm not familiar with those codes, so I can't comment. I suggest searching in the forum for those to see what comes up. They seem to be unrelated to the oil system.

2. If a front seal is bad it would leak while the engine is running. A vacuum leak would also be evident when the engine is running, but it's not related to the oil system.

3. A leaking front seal is not good but, it's also not the end of the car. The bigger problem is when pieces of belt are ingested. Based on the previous pictures and comments it doesn't look your car ingested belt.

Quote:
Update:

1. Are these codes after this repair concerning enough that I should stop driving the car?

2. On this second thread (https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...1#post31126181) Efthreeoh opined that I have a vacuum leak. Wouldn't oil seep out of the seal onto the floor when the engine is hot, but not running?

3. Facing a $730 cost (includes $120 in required BMW dealer only sealant stuff!) to replace the front seal, does it make sense to replace the 12 year old mass air flow sensor for $33 to see if that resolves the error code situation? That part can even be returned.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

P.S. Yes, I should not have split the thread to ask about not seeing pooled oil when I look in the filling hole. Seemingly, that was a non issue as the car is running well 99.9% of the time.
Appreciate 0