E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Traction Control comes on uphill after replacing wheels

10-24-2015, 10:25 AM   #1
2aroundtheworld
Rep
Drives: BMW 2006 E90 330xi

Traction Control comes on uphill after replacing wheels

So here is the story....we have a 2006 E90 330xi. 145000 miles. Been as reliable as a Toyota Camry. Sport/Premium/Nav Package

A few weeks ago I replaced the factory 17" wheels with staggered 18" BWM wheels. Tires are 225/40R18 and 255/35R18.

I did a bunch of research and I concluded that I should be okay with staggered wheels on a X as long as the diameter was the same (which it is within 0.4%). But I may have been wrong...

Now since I put the wheels, we have been having issues with the traction control coming on at higher speed (>40 mph) going uphill. I know this is strange, but it is mostly happening going uphill or under strong acceleration.

In addition to that, we have also had the tire pressure monitor lights coming on sporadically. 2006 do not have tire pressure monitor sensors.but use wheel rotation differential.

I tried different tire pressure combination but that does not seem to help.

One more thing - the tires are Continental Contitech and came with the wheels. I am unable to find the dates on them so I don't know how old/fresh they are. Threads are almost new. I live in CA.

Has anyone had that issue before? Any idea what could be reason? Could the 0.4% difference enough to cause this?

Thank you

Christian

Last edited by 2aroundtheworld; 10-24-2015 at 12:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2015, 03:23 PM   #2
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2aroundtheworld View Post
A few weeks ago I replaced the factory 17" wheels with staggered 18" BWM wheels. Tires are 225/40R18 and 255/35R18.

I did a bunch of research and I concluded that I should be okay with staggered wheels on a X as long as the diameter was the same (which it is within 0.4%). But I may have been wrong...

Now since I put the wheels, we have been having issues with the traction control coming on at higher speed (>40 mph) going uphill. I know this is strange, but it is mostly happening going uphill or under strong acceleration.

In addition to that, we have also had the tire pressure monitor lights coming on sporadically. 2006 do not have tire pressure monitor sensors.but use wheel rotation differential.
One more thing - the tires are Continental Contitech and came with the wheels. I am unable to find the dates on them so I don't know how old/fresh they are. Threads are almost new. I live in CA.
Those tire sizes should be good.

Since the tire pressure warning is ties to the ABS wheel speed sensors, and you're having TCS issues, I'd say you have a problem with one or more wheel speed sensors. Have someone check them individually, or buy a new one and start swapping it in at different corners.
Appreciate 0