E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > I-Drive Navigation Retrofit!

06-26-2008, 03:20 AM   #177
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90, 335i

Little things I've learned

Okay...so I'm a little anxious...scratch that....eager to put the dash in and get this DIY done. I was thinking of a few things that I have not conveyed lately....

-In a message from C_boy...he says he couldn't find the CID connector in the harness when he swapped his dash. This may be a region thing. There is only one dash harness sold for idrive/non-idrive cars...I'm still convinced it'll be there on USA/UK cars. I'll let you all know in a week or two. Could be another harness altogether. Either way, its a very simple and short four wire harness to the JBE.

-Since creating a new vehicle order for the navigation, I reinstalled my old(original) professional radio just so I could put my car back together and drive it around. Amazingly, it still works. This may go back to my original thinking the the RAD2 or CCC holds the MOST registration file and once that it built...it works. Of special note, I no longer have access to the menus in the instrument cluster to change DRL, door unlock options, etc...those are only available (now) on the idrive screen. Likely due to VO change.

-The vehicle order is stored in the CAS (car access) and FRM (footwell lighting) modules. It has to be written to both and then the car must sleep (to reboot or whatever) to take effect. A charger/battery booster MUST be connected at all times to keep car/module voltage at proper levels or horrible things will happen. FYI.

-The E90 (and pretty much all new Beemers) are incredible engineering feats! After spending many, many hours perusing wiring diagrams, etc.... I've concluded that this car is built to incredible standards. I do have basis for comparison, as I was (at one time, not long ago) a Chrysler/Jeep Mastertech - BMW's are so far above in engineering and so well thought out in design and function. The more I learn, the more I am impressed. Bravo BMW!

-The K-can bus can be "tapped." I've said this before, but for testing, I hooked up the i-drive controller AND cid to the k-can bus connections on the back of the main radio connector. It all works. My intention was never to hook it up here full time (although it works and could be done for simplicity.) Keep in mind that once the vehicle order changes and the car "knows" you have navigation, the car is "looking" for the CID and i-drive controller bus, power, and ground wires to be hooked to the JBE. Yeah, it still works without being hooked there, but of course, the super smart BMW kicks several (invisible without a tool) codes regarding open circuits for the controller and CID. It knows that they are missing (at least where they are supposed to be hooked up) - very smart and well set up for troubleshooting. This is also the key to a transparent retrofit - if the vehicle order is changed and i-drive installed, you MUST hook all items to their "stock" locations or the car won't be happy. Again - it'll all work, but a tech/dealer will be able to see a few codes for open circuits. My goal is a "transparent" retrofit with zero errors. There's even a code kicked if the fan on the back of the CCC quits (I know, cause I didn't hook it up and it kicked a code.)

-Satnav/i-drive is very distracting! When I got it all working the other night, I nearly crashed veering off the highway several times while playing with it while driving around. Cool gizmo! I'm sure it'll be no big deal in a few months, but I love gadgets and gizmos and I love this car - it makes it that much more of a cool car to drive. The time and money spent has been well worth the journey (and I'm not done yet!)
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 09:18 PM   #178
purplewidow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335

here is an interesting tidbit..my idrive ever since i got it had a small piece of black tape comming down in a rainbow style just a lil bit... it looked like it was supposed to be there.. i took it to the dealer and said cut that tape off please.. they informed me bmw would NOT let them do it and if i took over the operation myself i would lose the warranty on that system.. being one of the most expensive parts on the car i declined and said for them to take over.. they filed a PUMA case with BMWAG. bmw said to replace the unit!!!! hahahah for a piece of tape no less.. only thing that sucks is 29.2 has to be installed on the car but since i have the dinan tune i am not worried about the power loss as that code is rewritten once the tune is put back on!!

but i cannot believe they are replacing the screen b/c of the tape.. but there was no way around it.. i think i have an appointment tomorrow so i am gonna just bring her in whether i do or don't have one.

my question is aren't you at all worried about the ramifications and resale value as i was told if a bmw regional tech sees this and they are told you are SCREWED!!!!

i LOVE how you never gave up but damn i don't understand how this was worth the money you spent to do this in anyway..but that was for you to decide and you did..but if i ever in my life heard that the car i was looking at had a idrive retrofit i would NEVER buy that car..and i highly doubt another person would either.

and i have never near crashed b/c i was too focused on idrive i find my peripheral takes over which is much more sensitive anyways and the idrive placement rocks for messing around with it and watching the road.

Again Good luck bro i am so impressed i just can't believe you actually did it.. i am shocked!!!! you better keep her for a long long time!!!!! Congrats!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 11:05 PM   #179
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Well, the reason I almost crashed is because the CID was on the passenger floor and I was leaning around, staring at it. I don't have the luxury of having it mounted in the dash...yet.

I am not worried about resale - 1) I don't plan to sell it. I will keep this car for a long time..I really love it. If I blow up the motor...I'll fix it. 2) By the time I sell it, the prospective buyer will be not spending a lot of money, and I'm sure they'll love the i-drive as part of the package. I'm also not worried since I'm not doing anything that BMW hasn't done. In actuality, I will be running four wires (or eight if the CID wiring isn't there) to the OEM locations. This is NOT a major modification. The biggest deal is changing the dash...and that is done anytime the passenger airbag blows up or theres are problem with the heater/air conditioner box/parts. The Vehicle Order is something that is changed naturally and is just software.

I suppose if a regional tech saw it, they would not be pleased. However, I'm not trying to fraud any warranty out of BMW, and as well, I will hold myself responsible for any related malfunctions. However, this should not void a warranty for any unrelated systems. And nothing is permanent - I could always un-retrofit it if I saw the need (although its a helluva lot of work.)

BTW - if they are replacing the CID screen, they don't have to recode or reprogram the car. It will work out of the box.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2008, 03:30 AM   #180
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplewidow View Post
my question is aren't you at all worried about the ramifications and resale value as i was told if a bmw regional tech sees this and they are told you are SCREWED!!!!

i LOVE how you never gave up but damn i don't understand how this was worth the money you spent to do this in anyway..but that was for you to decide and you did..but if i ever in my life heard that the car i was looking at had a idrive retrofit i would NEVER buy that car..and i highly doubt another person would either.
That's a load of old cock in my humble opinion, I am not saying it will not put you off, but it won't put many off.

I have been retrofitting nav systems for years, loads of Audis and they have all been bought, couple of E46's and an E39. Some have gone back to main dealers too.

I think you will find that there will be an offical retrofit that comes out, there is now one for the X3, Z4 etc. etc.
As long as you explain to the customer is was retrofitted then I can't see a problem myself.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2008, 02:49 AM   #181
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

djdaveyg - did you ever find out about the connection for the cooling hose? Supposedly all my parts are here, EXCEPT for the cooling hose and fan harness (which I could make if I had to) - those two remaining parts are on order from the e90 homeland.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2008, 02:01 PM   #182
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I have the same picture in the business-to-pro nav retrofit. It looks as if there is a hose we remove that is connected to (O), then install the new cooling hose (1) and secure it to the existing remaining hose (2), and attach it to the car at point (3).

Is that any clearer? LOL. I haven't been in there, nor do I have the new hose to look at, so I'm not sure what I'm looking at. My guess is that it blows cool air onto the CCC fan.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2008, 03:52 PM   #183
djdaveyg
Rep
Drives: e90 318d

Guys,

I cant see any of the photos that c boy is posting, is this just me? Could you send them to me?

I hooked up the pro system agian in the car as i didnt get much time to test it before, and didnt have a gps antenna or nav dvd. I do now.

The 3rd party GPS antenna seems to work fine, i drove around the block and all worked ok and it directed me back home.

My CCC is already programmed for ipod and park distance, all that i need. Its coded for logic 7 as i have no audio output and there are eq settings in the menu.

Its a real shame becuse logic 7 is all that is stopping me from just changing the unit over without chaging the VO.

I know its crazy but if my car ever goes in for warranty work i will change it back to normal so im not worried about coding it to the car permanently, i just want to get the CCC to stereo audio output.

So the car is booked in on thursday, not sure how successful it will be. i know it wont be an instant fix as the file from the car has to be modded off site at the manufacturer of the system that talks to the car.

My other option is to find a donor car with navigation already installed. pop my CCC in and get it programmed. If anyone here in the UK has a car available to do this the give me a pm.

Booster,

I was going to change the dash today , but i will wait until i have the unit coded and all working. I dont know any more about the cooling hose at this time. I think my CCC has a later version of Progman as i get no haptic feeback on the knob, but the know its self has clicks as it turns. I also checked the idrive knob in the showroom, (brand new car) and it had 1 button, with clicks, exactly the sam as mine.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2008, 07:24 PM   #184
cas
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: CV

copy and paste the url. hes "hotlinking"
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2008, 10:47 PM   #185
c_boy
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booster4075 View Post
I have the same picture in the business-to-pro nav retrofit. It looks as if there is a hose we remove that is connected to (O), then install the new cooling hose (1) and secure it to the existing remaining hose (2), and attach it to the car at point (3).

Is that any clearer? LOL. I haven't been in there, nor do I have the new hose to look at, so I'm not sure what I'm looking at. My guess is that it blows cool air onto the CCC fan.

when I removed the dash,I have not found the location for the cooling hose.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 02:51 PM   #186
peteullo
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-MC-G View Post
I'm scared by the fact that you actually thought there was an Idrive knob tucked under the center console somewhere not being used and that you looked for it...
I believe he said I-Drive "Connector". I don't think anyone here is that dumb to think options are hidden underneath parts of the cars.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 08:36 AM   #187
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

Wow, I am still in shock over this and looking at the photos of the dash all ripped into pieces. I think for everyone who does this retrofit, it is because they see this as a hobby and they enjoy this type of challenge.

At first I thought you all were nuts, but then I realized what a rush you could get if you achieved such huge obsticles. But also this is no more different then modding except it alot more work and uncertainty (just my opinion since I have never done anything at this magnitude).

kudos to you all. and sorry to pump the thread without providing any technical knowledges to this project
      07-06-2008, 02:21 AM   #188
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Retrofit update

Well, I am in final stages of making this happen! I have a new dashboard in my possession (my wife's not excited about the giant box in the living room-LOL), and three parts are still on order. All the little stuff (I could think of) is here.

I got delayed in this project as I ripped everything out of my garage and epoxied, flaked, and clear-coated the floor. (big project, but looks awesome - perfect place for the e90 to "relax"!)

Regardless, I plan to start/complete the retrofit next weekend. I will be taking pictures and notes to memorialize for everyone that is here keeping track of progress. (I am still trying to procure the correct CCC and controller for my car, but will install the ones I have for the time being for 90% functionality.)
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2008, 04:00 AM   #189
Bacano
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 320D

Exclamation question

hi
can you tell me if i can try the board monitor alone?
i try the ccc and i-drive and monitor like you and the monitor is not work when i touch the i-drive it's works i have sound but the monitor nothing.
thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2008, 09:14 AM   #190
djdaveyg
Rep
Drives: e90 318d

Just an update from me,

My car went to the garage on wednesday to have the VO changed via the autologic system.

Autologic could not talk to the car at first but after a firmware update it was able to.

Just my luck that this week there is only 1 software guy at autologic so they were unable to make the changes there and then.

I hope to here something this week, they sound quite confident that they can do it, so agian i will keep you updated.

Bacano,

Are you connnecting the power + wire to the correct connection on your existing plug. I had a similar problem at first then I noticed that i connected to the wrong power + source. My screen would only come on every 30 seconds for about 3 seconds, nothing to do with the idrive controller though.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2008, 09:53 AM   #191
Bacano
Switzerland
Rep

Exclamation question

yes i put in plug x14272 in pin 37 like was in the wds.
but i try in other 30 g .
i know that is just the ccc is in 30 g-f that is conect when you open the door for fast conect but the i-drive and monitor is conect when you push the i-drive or put un cd .
thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2008, 03:28 PM   #192
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacano View Post
yes i put in plug x14272 in pin 37 like was in the wds.
but i try in other 30 g .
i know that is just the ccc is in 30 g-f that is conect when you open the door for fast conect but the i-drive and monitor is conect when you push the i-drive or put un cd .
thanks
I have found if the CID-monitor has no K-can bus connection the display will not turn on, even though the CCC/i-drive is operating.

It looks like you have it correct - Power comes from pin 37 of x14272. I don't know how critical the ground connection is (it shouldn't be) but it is supposed to be hooked to pin 27 of x14272. Just make sure your two bus wires are hooked up properly or the CID won't "wake up." I know this is obvious, but you do have the LVDS cable hooked up also, right?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 12:55 PM   #193
Bacano
Switzerland
Rep

Exclamation question

yes i make all conection like the wds i even take the k-can of ccc in pin 9 and 11 for high and low but the monitor nothing .
just one thing the ccc is ece zone and monitor are japan made you think is the reason for they don't match.
thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2008, 02:28 AM   #194
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
yes i make all conection like the wds i even take the k-can of ccc in pin 9 and 11 for high and low but the monitor nothing .
just one thing the ccc is ece zone and monitor are japan made you think is the reason for they don't match.
thanks
Bacano - are you saying that your CID monitor is from a Japan-e90 or that its was "made in japan"? I think my CID was made in Hungary.

In looking at the WDS, there are significant differences in the wiring from Japanese e90's, as they have digital television video modules and a completely different nav system altogether. That being said, I don't see much (if any) differences in the wiring to the CID from the CCC. I think you need to compare part numbers from your CID and see if its the same as ECE or US parts or look up the parts in a catalog to see if the CID for Japan is different. It wouldn't surprise me if it was different (different refresh rate, etc...) The CCC sends all video data to it and that data may be quite different from ECE/US models.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2008, 12:41 PM   #195
Bacano
Switzerland
Rep

Exclamation question

for the x14272 you have allready the wires in position 30 and 11 for k-can high and low or you put the wires for cid in there to take from jbe.
i think is the cid from japan is not compatible with ece norms maby is codes.
i dont see wy is dont work the cid maby is broken.
i have tested whit the k-can from radio and i-drive but nothing happens.i have sound but not monitor......
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2008, 01:19 AM   #196
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
for the x14272 you have allready the wires in position 30 and 11 for k-can high and low or you put the wires for cid in there to take from jbe.
i think is the cid from japan is not compatible with ece norms maby is codes.
i dont see wy is dont work the cid maby is broken.
i have tested whit the k-can from radio and i-drive but nothing happens.i have sound but not monitor......
Bacano - I have not yet hooked it up to x14272....we still are not sure if the CID connector is hiding in the dash and if the wiring is already present and hooked up to the JBE. (I am assuming it is, since there is only one dash harness for US cars.) C_boy told us it was not there on his car (I'm not sure where he is from.) If the wiring is not there, x14272 is where I plan to hook it up, per the WDS. For testing purposes, just tap the k-can bus connections at the back of the radio/CCC ...that has worked perfectly for me (up to this point) - its not a long-term hookup solution but it actually works.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2008, 09:16 AM   #197
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

With the new iDrive coming this retrofit project kind of becomes a moot point, doesn't it?

I think that all this retrofit effort will be much worthy of the new iDrive than for the "old".
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2008, 10:31 AM   #198
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

Once the system is in and you have got used to writing vehicle orders using the Autologic system adding the new nav will be a piece of cake I reckon, so still worth doing.
Appreciate 0