E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Which bump stops

05-24-2020, 03:08 AM   #1
Salzamani
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E90 Sport Package

Which bump stops

Guys I’m looking to take off the Bilstein B12 Prokit and go back to my sport package springs with some new Koni Special Actives. I’m just too old for the firm ride. This is just my daily driver it’s mostly on tougher roads and I just think the Koni SA will serve me better.

I see a lot of threads where people install Z4 and M3 bump stops but they are usually with lowering springs I guess. My question is which bump stops would be best for what I’m installing, the Koni SA/Stock sport suspension springs and do I need anything else?

Last edited by Salzamani; 05-24-2020 at 03:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 04:48 PM   #2
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

OEM. BMW engineers designed these as secondary springs.
Appreciate 1
      05-26-2020, 05:15 PM   #3
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

+1

I went back to oe sport springs after 3 different suspensions too but with Koni Sports
grennx3.00
      05-26-2020, 05:21 PM   #4
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salzamani View Post
Guys I’m looking to take off the Bilstein B12 Prokit and go back to my sport package springs with some new Koni Special Actives. I’m just too old for the firm ride. This is just my daily driver it’s mostly on tougher roads and I just think the Koni SA will serve me better.

I see a lot of threads where people install Z4 and M3 bump stops but they are usually with lowering springs I guess. My question is which bump stops would be best for what I’m installing, the Koni SA/Stock sport suspension springs and do I need anything else?
You don't need bump stops.

The b-12 Kit comes with them. In the struts, they are built in. On the shocks, they come with them under the blue dust covers.

If you are looking for stiffer upper/ lower & upper/upper shock mounts, the Monroe version is a very popular option.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 06:37 PM   #5
Salzamani
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post

The b-12 Kit comes with them. In the struts, they are built in. On the shocks, they come with them under the blue dust covers.

If you are looking for stiffer upper/ lower & upper/upper shock mounts, the Monroe version is a very popular option.

Lol! You didn’t read my post ha? I’m not looking for bump stops for the B-12. It’s for the Koni special actives. Sorry! I do that all the time too
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 06:39 PM   #6
Salzamani
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvc 22349a View Post
+1

I went back to oe sport springs after 3 different suspensions too but with Koni Sports
“Koni Sports” ? those are the orange ones right? I think right now so would rather get the most comfortable right possible and the Special Actives are probably going to the softest don’t you think?

Last edited by Salzamani; 05-26-2020 at 11:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 07:48 PM   #7
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Just like we've pm'd, Koni Sport, yellow. If you want them softer than I run.. 1/2 turn from soft in the rear and 1 turn from soft up front. That's just mo after having run both sports and fsd's or whatever they're called now, fsd's were junk, crashed through travel, limited damping over sharp impacts.
      05-26-2020, 11:28 PM   #8
Salzamani
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Just like we've pm'd, Koni Sport, yellow. If you want them softer than I run.. 1/2 turn from soft in the rear and 1 turn from soft up front. That's just mo after having run both sports and fsd's or whatever they're called now, fsd's were junk, crashed through travel, limited damping over sharp impacts.
oh Peter! lol!!! sorry I missed that I was looking on my phone earlier. thanks for your input I do appreciate it.

yeah check this out I am now just looking to make this car more comfortable. the more comfortable the better. I just want to reduce the road noise and make it as soft as possible. These Koni Special Actives are the replacement to the FSD'S and I really hope they have improved them and are not as bad as you're mentioning since they updated them. I'm even tempted to find some decent looking 16" rims and gain a couple inches of rubber over the existing 18's just to make things more comfortable. I think I'm just over it man. It's like I suddenly aged 20 years overnight. I think I know what caused it because I have been home and not working for the last couple months all my driving has been around town and in my opinion these cars suck around town so much weight. Before at least half of my driving was on the freeway where these cars tend to shine more. yeah I looked and considered the Koni Sports too at one time but if the Special Actives are Koni's most comfortable shocks then I think I'll just go with those. I just don't want to bounce anymore. I know about the soft setting on the Sports but from my research the Special Actives are still softer. lets hope they don't crash though because I wouldn't want that either...
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 12:17 AM   #9
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Good luck. 16s won't fit over your brakes but 17s will. Apex makes nice wheels.
      05-27-2020, 12:48 AM   #10
Salzamani
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Good luck. 16s won't fit over your brakes but 17s will. Apex makes nice wheels.

oh I never even considered the breaks as a possible issue. Well I really hope the Koni SA's work out and they meet my expectation. We shall see, time will tell.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 07:40 AM   #11
Impreza98
Private
Rep
Drives: e90 335i and 05 STI

Quote:
oh Peter! lol!!! sorry I missed that I was looking on my phone earlier. thanks for your input I do appreciate it.

yeah check this out I am now just looking to make this car more comfortable. the more comfortable the better. I just want to reduce the road noise and make it as soft as possible. These Koni Special Actives are the replacement to the FSD'S and I really hope they have improved them and are not as bad as you're mentioning since they updated them. I'm even tempted to find some decent looking 16" rims and gain a couple inches of rubber over the existing 18's just to make things more comfortable. I think I'm just over it man. It's like I suddenly aged 20 years overnight. I think I know what caused it because I have been home and not working for the last couple months all my driving has been around town and in my opinion these cars suck around town so much weight. Before at least half of my driving was on the freeway where these cars tend to shine more. yeah I looked and considered the Koni Sports too at one time but if the Special Actives are Koni's most comfortable shocks then I think I'll just go with those. I just don't want to bounce anymore. I know about the soft setting on the Sports but from my research the Special Actives are still softer. lets hope they don't crash though because I wouldn't want that either...
If you decide to go through with the Koni Special Active struts, I recommend that you get the bumpstops mentioned in this thread, https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...mp+stop&page=3 . To summarize the thread, the Special Active struts require more travel and switching to a shorter but stiffer bumpstop allows the strut to do its job. This is the route I went on all four corners and I haven't experienced any crashing. Just my two cents.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 10:21 AM   #12
Salzamani
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impreza99 View Post
If you decide to go through with the Koni Special Active struts, I recommend that you get the bumpstops mentioned in this thread, https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...mp+stop&page=3 . To summarize the thread, the Special Active struts require more travel and switching to a shorter but stiffer bumpstop allows the strut to do its job. This is the route I went on all four corners and I haven't experienced any crashing. Just my two cents.
Ah impreza99 yes yes yes we have chatted before on another thread (Koni Special Active Dampers Anyone?) remember that? You had encouraging words for me that really helped get me started, thank your or that

Hey so I remember that link about the stiffer shorter Speedthane bump stops. I guess the big question about whether I need those with my set up is the big question.

Just to refresh I’m looking to combine stock sport springs with Koni Special Actives.

Well tell me this what springs are you using? Are they lower than the stock sport suspension springs?

Do you still have the Special Actives? If so how are they?

And finally I know there was some confusion about changes to the site where those Speedthane bump stops were purchase. Do you have a link to the exact ones you bought?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 10:51 AM   #13
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep

USE THE OEM SPORT SUSPENSION BUMP STOPS WITH OE SPORT SPRINGS like Harold told you. These threads go sideways way too much!
      05-27-2020, 11:44 AM   #14
Salzamani
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
USE THE OEM SPORT SUSPENSION BUMP STOPS WITH OE SPORT SPRINGS like Harold told you. These threads go sideways way too much!
That’s what I ordered but do you think maybe that’s why you had the crash problem? You tried my setup. Well almost exact setup you ran stock sport springs with FSD’s not Special Actives.

Last edited by Salzamani; 05-27-2020 at 07:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 07:29 PM   #15
Impreza98
Private
Rep
Drives: e90 335i and 05 STI

Quote:
Ah impreza99 yes yes yes we have chatted before on another thread (Koni Special Active Dampers Anyone?) remember that? You had encouraging words for me that really helped get me started, thank your or that

Hey so I remember that link about the stiffer shorter Speedthane bump stops. I guess the big question about whether I need those with my set up is the big question.

Just to refresh I’m looking to combine stock sport springs with Koni Special Actives.

Well tell me this what springs are you using? Are they lower than the stock sport suspension springs?

Do you still have the Special Actives? If so how are they?

And finally I know there was some confusion about changes to the site where those Speedthane bump stops were purchase. Do you have a link to the exact ones you bought?
That's right, I didn't realize that.

I'm currently on the special active and dinan springs which lowers the car to stock m-sport height (have an xi).

I have no complaints so far and have experienced no crashing and this is in Connecticut where roads aren't the greatest. I'm actually surprised how compliant the suspension is when going over pot holes. My previous stock suspension would just crater under the same situation.

I bought the bumpstops from summit. Link as follows: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/iss-310-3018-39

It's been a while since I've looked into suspension but I believe(someone correct me if I'm wrong) xi's have shorter suspension travel then RWD cars. The shorter travel coupled with further reducing travel by lowering an xi and then the fact that special active struts require more travel to dampen correctly leads to crashing. Using shorter bumpers gets some of that travel back. All this might be moot as i just realized you're RWD.

Another option for a compliant ride is to go up in tire wall size. I did that along with suspension refresh.

Last edited by Impreza98; 05-27-2020 at 07:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 08:37 PM   #16
Salzamani
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impreza99 View Post
That's right, I didn't realize that.

I'm currently on the special active and dinan springs which lowers the car to stock m-sport height (have an xi).

I have no complaints so far and have experienced no crashing and this is in Connecticut where roads aren't the greatest. I'm actually surprised how compliant the suspension is when going over pot holes. My previous stock suspension would just crater under the same situation.

I bought the bumpstops from summit. Link as follows: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/iss-310-3018-39

It's been a while since I've looked into suspension but I believe(someone correct me if I'm wrong) xi's have shorter suspension travel then RWD cars. The shorter travel coupled with further reducing travel by lowering an xi and then the fact that special active struts require more travel to dampen correctly leads to crashing. Using shorter bumpers gets some of that travel back. All this might be moot as i just realized you're RWD.

Another option for a compliant ride is to go up in tire wall size. I did that along with suspension refresh.
Yes I believe you are right about the Xi’s coupled with lowering springs have a shorter travel then RWD. I keep forgetting to point out that key peace of information about my car being a RWD thanks for pointing that out.

Yeah I think Harold & 22349 is right that I should be fine with just oem sport bump stops.

You know what your suggestion about considering going up in tire size is a very good one. I will consider that next time around with tires. I do like how the stock sport package wheels look but if I could find a deal on some good looking 17’s plus the extra rubber from the larger tire size would really help soften things up. Lol! I’m such an extremest just a couple months ago I was looking to make my car firmer and now softer. The truth is I’ve always wanted a soft ride I just prefer to not get as much sway/body role in the car. Coming from the comfort of Toyota cars has spoiled me...

Last edited by Salzamani; 05-27-2020 at 08:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 07:37 PM   #17
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
That’s what I ordered but do you think maybe that’s why you had the crash problem? You tried my setup. Well almost exact setup you ran stock sport springs with FSD’s not Special Actives.
No it's the valving that doesn't last and is inconsistent. Hopefully Koni improved them. Let me know after 8000 miles
      06-08-2020, 02:27 PM   #18
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 "325i"

Quote:
No it's the valving that doesn't last and is inconsistent. Hopefully Koni improved them. Let me know after 8000 miles
It seems like you do need stiffer but shorter bumpstops with the actives. Doesn't Matter if it's AWD or Rwd.
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...ight=Bump+stop

I didn't want to risk it and put in the Blue polyurethane ones. 15k+ miles and they still work like a charm. Soft bumpstops won't cut it with these shocks.
Koni special active red, eibach pro-kit springs, Remus exhaust, stage 3 intake manifold,Stage 2 AA tune, BMW Short shift kit. Silicon intake pipe. M3 control arms front, M3 rear. ECS trailing arm with whiteline bushings. Purple powerflex subframe bushings. Yellow power flex upper shock mounts. Single mass flywheel OE weight.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 05:54 PM   #19
Salzamani
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerxq View Post
It seems like you do need stiffer but shorter bumpstops with the actives. Doesn't Matter if it's AWD or Rwd.
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...ight=Bump+stop

I didn't want to risk it and put in the Blue polyurethane ones. 15k+ miles and they still work like a charm. Soft bumpstops won't cut it with these shocks.

The Special Actives have been installed as of 2 days ago. Took the car on a long drive yesterday with 3 people weighing it down. No crashing here at all so far. The ride is more comfortable with the original sport springs back in too. I did change the front strut mounts they are Lemforder which are actually about a good 1/2 inch taller while they are new and that translates to the front sitting 1/2 inch higher. That might be playing a role as well. Those strut mounts will compress after a few hundred miles and should help settle and lower the front back down to normal eventually. The ride is very different with the Special Actives in comparison to the B12 Prokit. The road noise is lower. The rough roads are dampened better and the pot holes and man-holes and less jarring. It’s no Lexus but it feels the way that it is suppose to feel. I’m a bit on the fence about whether an alignment is really necessary. I’m not getting unusual steering pull/drifting. My spring are the original and the only suspension parts that were loosened were the front and rear control arm so that the strut can slide in. They were both tightened back up at ride height so Injust don’t see why the alignment would be affected... if anyone can chime in on some good reasoning please let me know

Last edited by Salzamani; 06-08-2020 at 07:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 07:39 PM   #20
Salzamani
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I’ll keep you posted. So far so good and I’m much happier with just the stock setup of the Sport package Spring with the Koni Special Actives. I haven’t forgotten what you said I will keep a close eye on it and report back. 6 months should be long enough. That would be roughly New Years 2021.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 07:51 PM   #21
tlow98
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Quote:

Aren't the Bilstein B6/8 inverted struts? This means the bump stops are in the base of the yellow strut enclosure.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 08:41 PM   #22
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlow98 View Post
Quote:

Aren't the Bilstein B6/8 inverted struts? This means the bump stops are in the base of the yellow strut enclosure.
Correct
Appreciate 0