E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Steering column fallen through firewall... Cannot get it back in!

06-11-2020, 01:30 PM   #1
zuko
Registered
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

Steering column fallen through firewall... Cannot get it back in!

I'm trying to replace my steering rack on an e90 330i... When removing the old rack I dropped it and it fell out didn't think anything about it...

Trying to get the new rack in I noticed that the column has been pulled through... I think that blue plastic clip should be flush with the firewall? If you see the rod that connects between the rack and the column is about 4 inches off!

I've had a mechanic out today spent 80 quid and nothing.

Managed to hammer it back a bit but I can't get it moving.

Here's the kicker I move out this house at the weekend. This car needs to be gone.

I need to get this column spline back in about 5 inches so the rod can connect the column to the rack... Whats the best way? I've tried pulling on the column spline under the foot well but it won't budge.

Do I need to remove the column and refit?

Can someone help me please! You can see in the picture that the rod that goes between the column and rack is going about 4-5 inches past the rack spline!

Appreciate 0
      06-12-2020, 02:33 AM   #2
autoart
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i e90 M/ 22 X3

stupid question, could it be spring loaded?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 12:01 AM   #3
rbg
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

I had the same problem doing same swap. You can twist it CW CCW and push up the same time. It will get back eventually. IMPORTANT: Take your steering wheel and clock spring assembly of the car, otherwise there is a big chance you will damage it. Happened to me.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 04:15 PM   #4
bestinhouse
Rep
Drives: bmw z3. bmw 328i, bmw x5

Easy fix -

A. Tow to a Pick A Part Yard.
B. sign over the title to the Yard.
C. Let some other dude pull out your steering column, or not, or whatever, who gives a shit?
D. Sleep well tonight.

OK, sorry, that lacked compassion. Sorry this happened to you, there are lots of unexpected chaotic results in BMW repair, and we've all been there... don't let it get you down and keep looking for the answer here and elsewhere

Last edited by bestinhouse; 06-23-2020 at 04:19 PM.. Reason: I was trying to be funny, but it turned out that I was kind of being a dick, and I wanted to apologize.
Appreciate 0