E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Is Liqui Moly as special as people make it sound?

12-30-2020, 05:43 AM   #1
daniel35d
Who reads these?
Rep
Drives: '10 E91 325d

Is Liqui Moly as special as people make it sound?

Hey look! It's everyones favorite subject, OIL!

I keep seeing people praising Liqui Moly oil on various forums/FB groups, so I got a little curious, is it really that great?

I've tried Castrol Edge, BMW TwinPower Turbo and Gulf oil in these M57 engines (325d and 335d), and I can't say I've noticed any particular big differences in oil consumption or noise. All of them were 5W-30 oils, and both cars had DPF deleted.

From what I've understood, I don't have to run LL04 oil since I have DPF delete and run fairly short oil change intervals.

But are there any quality differences between LL01 and LL04 oils?

Been thinking about going up to 5W-40 this time, and have multiple options for LQM.

LQM Top Tec 4100 which is LL04
LQM Leichtlauf High Tech which is LL01

Mileage of the car is 112k miles and I usually change oil around 6200-6800 miles.

I'm sure most of this is non-sense rambling and not important for me, but it would be nice to get some opinions on it either way lol.
      12-30-2020, 08:55 AM   #2
Nyc Dito
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel35d View Post
Hey look! It's everyones favorite subject, OIL!

I keep seeing people praising Liqui Moly oil on various forums/FB groups, so I got a little curious, is it really that great?
Yeaaaars ago no one knew what LM was or who they were, only a few. I would suggest it to people and no one wanted that "no name" oil. Really it was ignorance, since LM has been around for a while.

LM went hard in marketing and promoting to the end consumer. I can say that I've seen their rise in popularity mainly because of the channels they used here in the US to get their name known, and it worked.

LM is a good oil and they have a nice line of additives, many of which I've used and tried with good results.

The only issue I found was that LM would burn off. I sell oil in drums to specialty shops and they started using FUCHS oil. Fuchs would have less or no burn off, which equals less top off's for the shops. I think that a lot of people wait a long time to do an oil service, so those guys are getting topped off more than those who change oil at every 5k miles.

my 0.02 ....
daniel35d234.00
      12-30-2020, 11:17 AM   #3
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

It's a good oil but it's not all it's hyped up to be, IMO. Most modern oils are very good and just have slightly different additive packages. If you like it, go right ahead and use it. But don't think it's better than every other oil on the market.
Appreciate 2
Nyc Dito112.50
daniel35d234.00
      12-30-2020, 11:31 AM   #4
Chapperss
I only ride park
Rep
Drives: e93 335i Msport FBO 2+

Not 100% scinetific but i do enjoy this guys testing - spolier ( Moly lost to Amazon basics )

Appreciate 1
daniel35d234.00
      12-30-2020, 12:36 PM   #5
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

What I really want to know is how it compares to like auto store quality oil, like the one I use Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40.

I don't doubt Liquy moly it's a great oil but how much percentage improvement vs what you usually get on sale at local parts store?
Appreciate 1
daniel35d234.00
      12-30-2020, 01:25 PM   #6
Nyc Dito
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 35d

There's a site where you can read all about oils, I think a "oil guy" named Bob runs it. I've spent too much time looking at the debates about oil there, tons of info though. But being that its also a forum, you get good and bad info as well...
daniel35d234.00
Gregrobin578.00
      12-31-2020, 07:31 AM   #7
Owen81
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d, 17/22 TDI

Nope. Oil is oil, use quality synthetic and change it often.
Appreciate 2
daniel35d234.00
RED-d27.00
      12-31-2020, 12:09 PM   #8
daniel35d
Who reads these?
Rep
Drives: '10 E91 325d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyc Dito View Post
Yeaaaars ago no one knew what LM was or who they were, only a few. I would suggest it to people and no one wanted that "no name" oil. Really it was ignorance, since LM has been around for a while.

LM went hard in marketing and promoting to the end consumer. I can say that I've seen their rise in popularity mainly because of the channels they used here in the US to get their name known, and it worked.

LM is a good oil and they have a nice line of additives, many of which I've used and tried with good results.

The only issue I found was that LM would burn off. I sell oil in drums to specialty shops and they started using FUCHS oil. Fuchs would have less or no burn off, which equals less top off's for the shops. I think that a lot of people wait a long time to do an oil service, so those guys are getting topped off more than those who change oil at every 5k miles.

my 0.02 ....
Yeah I read something on a different forum that they went all in with marketing in the US, and apparently that left a bad impression with some people lol.

I'm in Europe so I don't know if they did that here, or if we even get the same oil "quality" you guys do.

Not sure if I understand the last bit. You mean cars running LM oil had increased oil consumption?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyzee125 View Post
It's a good oil but it's not all it's hyped up to be, IMO. Most modern oils are very good and just have slightly different additive packages. If you like it, go right ahead and use it. But don't think it's better than every other oil on the market.
I haven't tried it yet, was thinking of maybe giving it a go in 5W-40 since people were talking so positively about it lol. Currently I'm using a Gulf 5W-30 oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapperss View Post
Not 100% scinetific but i do enjoy this guys testing - spolier ( Moly lost to Amazon basics )

Yeah I've seen some various types of "testing" of oil, and not everyone seem to take it seriously, so who knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
What I really want to know is how it compares to like auto store quality oil, like the one I use Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40.

I don't doubt Liquy moly it's a great oil but how much percentage improvement vs what you usually get on sale at local parts store?
The difference probably isn't that huge really, but who knows? My knowledge about oil isn't very big so I'm obviously in no position to say anything lmao.

I can get Castrol and other decent brands from local part stores too, but I can usually save some money by ordering online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyc Dito View Post
There's a site where you can read all about oils, I think a "oil guy" named Bob runs it. I've spent too much time looking at the debates about oil there, tons of info though. But being that its also a forum, you get good and bad info as well...
Yeah I actually took a look in that forum the other day. There was alot of talk and terms used there that I didn't understand at all, so it's pretty clear that it's meant for people with special interest in oil haha.

Also got the impression that many of them were pretty biased towards certain brands too, regardless of others maybe being better. But that's to be expected with pretty much anything. Brand loyalty etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen81 View Post
Nope. Oil is oil, use quality synthetic and change it often.
If I specifically have to use quality synthetic, is oil really just oil then? jk

Yeah I do use good oil and as mentioned in the OP I tend to change it before 7000 miles.