E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Aux In - no audio 2011 with CIC & Combox

08-09-2020, 03:00 PM   #1
harveysduvet
Rep
Drives: E91 330d M-Sport Touring

Garage List
Aux In - no audio 2011 with CIC & Combox

I have a UK spec 2011 E91 with factory fit CIC and Combox. UK spec cars didn't come with USB in the armrest as standard, just a 3.5 mm socket for aux in.

A couple of years ago I retrofitted the combined USB & 3.5 mm socket and coded 6FL to the car. The iPod audio and control worked fine. I've since added 6NR and that works fine via the USB too.

At the time, I don't recall actually testing the Aux in as I didn't intend to use it, but gone to use it today ahead of fitting a carplay box which needs to use it, and my Aux-in isn't working!

It is selectable in the iDrive menu and I can adjust the volume on the screen, but no audio comes out. Have confirmed it isn't the source device or the cable and so it's something car related.

Any ideas? I've done a search, but the only things I can find are where people have retrofitted a combox and the 3.5 mm socket is wired to the CIC instead of the combox. As mentioned, mine has had combox from factory and the wiring for the aux in runs to the combox.

I've been through my coding files and can't see anything obvious - attached for info. I've also tried default coding the CIC and Combox with the 6FL VO with Protool and it made no difference.

Thanks

Jon.
Attached Files
File Type: txt CIC_FSW_PSW.txt (17.0 KB, 29 views)
File Type: txt Combox_FSW_PSW.txt (3.2 KB, 22 views)
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 04:35 PM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

when you program in 6fl the aux port that is active switches
to the combox I believe . I know this is the case with the Mulf 2 hi

https://www.google.com/search?q=comb...bItT9pnGmcA-eM

Last edited by ctuna; 08-09-2020 at 04:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 05:02 PM   #3
harveysduvet
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
when you program in 6fl the aux port that is active switches
to the combox I believe . I know this is the case with the Mulf 2 hi
Thanks - should that make a difference? The aux should already have been routed to the combox on my car as it's a factory fit combox, not a retrofit, so it should all have been going through the combox before adding 6FL anyway.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 08:27 PM   #4
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

Did you beep out the line to the Aux if you have then
you better start talking to the people on the coding and idrive
subforums and looking for the previous successes.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 12:57 PM   #5
harveysduvet
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
Did you beep out the line to the Aux if you have then
you better start talking to the people on the coding and idrive
subforums and looking for the previous successes.
Thanks - will try the forum. Have just had the back of armrest of - partly to checked I'd plugged everything back in and also so I could check whether I'm getting a signal through the aux-in socket. I'm getting one from there to the connector at the back of the armrest so there's no fault there. Will test the continuity from there to the input to the combox when I have time to access the combox in the boot, but I'm not expecting it to be that.

Jon.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 04:47 AM   #6
UK335
Rep
Drives: BMW 335

Hi all I am having this same issue after having an Android Screen fitted to my car E92 LCI with factory Combox. There no sound coming from the AUX. I can hear hissing when I turn the volume switch up Any idea what the problem could be anyone?

Thanks

Last edited by UK335; 11-18-2020 at 03:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 02:47 PM   #7
eku1s
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i M Sport 2011 LCI

Hi Harveysduvet,

Just came across your post - I also have a factory fitted combox but no 6FL or 6NR. I'm looking at doing this shortly.

Couple of questions if I may:
  1. Did you ever sort out your Aux issue? I'm likely to have the same problem I suspect! If not, have you tried just coding the aux input on the head unit just in case it's actually wired to there? Parameter can be found here https://www.e90post.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=12
  2. How did you retrofit 6NR? Is it just coding or are there any additional cabling required? I've read on here talk about another snap in adaptor but then I've also seen conflicting posts suggesting it'll just work on the standard USB port. My CIC is luckily on a firmware version which doesn't require an FSC code for this option.
  3. I have an E92. Where did you buy the USB cable in the UK? BMW only sells the right angled ones which are useless as they don't fit into the combox.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Luke
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 06:19 PM   #8
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

https://*********************/thread...it-guide.2159/

/threads/combox-retrofit-guide.2159/

s p o o l s t r e e t . c o m without the spaces and the part you can read,

I have seen the cables that go to farka connectors for sale on amazon and ebay and
even the pair with the center console aux and usb connector.

Last edited by ctuna; 01-16-2021 at 06:25 PM..
Appreciate 0