E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Trade-in or make my 335d a project car

01-18-2021, 07:41 PM   #1
dieseleagle
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335d

Trade-in or make my 335d a project car

Once upon a time I was the proud owner of a 335d. I still own the car, but my pride has been wounded by a significantly lightened wallet. In 2020 I put about $7k into the vehicle between vacuum lines, injectors, harmonic dampeners, electronics, etc. It needs another few grand to be road worthy.

The car is a 2010 with 123K miles on the OD. I had CBU cleaning done at around 70k miles, the transmission fluid flushed around that too. Swirl flaps have been deleted and blocked off, XHP TCU tune installed, and a Fluidampr harmonic balancer installed when the OEM delightfully exploded 160 miles away from home (that was a jolly fun treat). EGR block-off plates have been installed since the CBU was cleaned. Oil has been changed twice per year since I bought it in early 2016. Injectors 1 and 2 have been replaced within the last two years. The footwell module and junction box are also new.

Injectors 3 and 4 needed to be replaced four months ago though I've managed to drive it minimally since then for fear of the rod bearings, cylinders, or whatever good stuff unbalanced firing effects. Injectors 5 and 6 are OG but should be replaced too. The windshield also needs replacing thanks to North Dakota's love of tar & gravel, as does the blower motor for the AC/heat if not other components as well. In other words, it needs a good dollop of TLC and $$$$$$$.

As a trade-in it's not very valuable (I was offered $1000 for it as-is but an indy mechanic/dealer), and although it still drives fine other than a little rough idle I don't really consider it road worthy. I am going to get a new car regardless. My question is this: how much tangible value is there is just taking it off the road and making my 335d a project car with the intention of repairing, performing all the deletes and mods necessary for the 2.8 JR ECU tune, and selling it afterwards (assuming I am successful and emotionally willing after a few hot laps around town)? Is there a market for tuned 335d's to which I could theoretically make a profit? Or have I gone slightly (or even completely) mad?

I've estimated $2-3k for the parts needed now (assuming I do the work myself) and another $3-4k for the tune/deletes (again assuming I can do the work mostly myself). Generally I'm pretty comfortable working on my own things and have already worked on this car so I do not consider myself 100% out of my element. But it's just a thought and I'm not resistant to trading it in and driving off into the California sunset with my 335d in the rear-view mirror. What do you think? If making it into a project car has some sense to it, is there anyone in Southern California (specifically the SD region) who's done this sort of work themselves?

Many thanks for your time and I give my heartfelt respect for the other 335d drivers among us.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 08:07 PM   #2
maryjane
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d Msport 3 Snail.

Wrecked copart cars routinely sell for 3500-5000. So you can always sell it to a group member.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 09:08 PM   #3
fgpalmer71
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Genesis sedan 3.8 AWD

If we're saying it's worth $1k to you right now, and your willimg to put $7k at the top into it.......to sell it, I'd vote punt. If your attached, and you'd enjoy the investment of time for awhile it makes sense to me. But to flip it? Take that cash and put it towards the new car....or something else. That's what I'd be telling myself.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 10:28 PM   #4
ranthum
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Looking to Buy

$1k is a super low offer. I'd be willing to give you $3k sight unseen, might get up to $5k from somebody else as is. If you want to fix up and sell, keep it stock and toss in used (but good) parts. 2 good used injectors should be like $250 tops, a used blower is like $50. I haven't been following values that closely but you might get $7500 for it fixed up.

If you want to keep it, delete and tune.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 12:19 AM   #5
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

If you had put $7k between injectors, vac lines, electronics and a harmonic damper, you were not doing the work yourself. If you plan to pay someone else to do deletes (you estimated 3-4K) then I would sell the car for the best money you can get. Especially in Cali where having a deleted car would be somewhat a challenge.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 06:58 AM   #6
335dlci
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335d

I do travel to California for my clients...
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 02:28 PM   #7
peteyypab
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Just a few others

PMd
I'm down in SD on a pretty regular basis