E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Best temperature for drag racing event?

04-07-2010, 01:32 PM   #1
JewelofTexas
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Just learning...

Best temperature for drag racing event?

I would like some guidance on what the best outside air temperature would be for a drag racing event.

Background: I have heard "cooler" is better, and I think it has something to do with the engine having more power at cooler temperatures. I am not sure why it WOULD, but I have heard that.

I would think that tires would get WORSE traction in cooler weather, which would affect the launch, and therefore the time.

So the question is: What is the optimal temperature to utilize all the power of the engine while also maximizing the traction of the tires? For the sake of this discussion, let's just assume we are not talking an xi of any type is involved.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 02:11 PM   #2
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

If I had to guess? -297°F. That's right before oxygen become liquified and is at its densest stage.

The reason why cooler temperature is better for drag racing is because ambient air is DENSER and therefore for each fix volume of air the engine can potentially process, there's more OXYGEN and therefore more power generated per cycle. Temperature doesn't affect grip since typically at a drag strip, you do a burn-out in the water-box to warm up the tires.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 04:41 PM   #3
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

also, low humidity > high humidity
Appreciate 0