E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > What version i-Drive does the E90 have?

08-21-2006, 08:34 PM   #1
Bimmerforlife
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

What version i-Drive does the E90 have?

Here is an interesting article about how BMW is now on the 3rd version of the i-Drive on the new upcoming X5. What version does the E90 have?

Link: http://www.technoride.com/article/Mi.../186387_1.aspx

"The BMW iDrive cockpit controller is like the flashing-12 display seen in home electronics: a symbol, correctly or not, of technology run amok. The Bavarian elves at BMW have been hearing cranky-owner complaints for five years. But the iDrive might have easier times ahead, with the arrival in November of the second-generation X5 sports utility vehicle—or sports activity vehicle (SAV), in BMW-speak.

BMW's first official photos of the X5 show a row of eight programmable keys on the center console stack, to assist the iDrive. That means you will be able to program a favorite destination, a phone number, or an audio setting into each button, bypassing iDrive's slide, turn, and press-to-select methodology.

This marks the third version of iDrive. The first, in 2002, had eight general functions that you selected by first sliding the controller in one of the eight compass directions. Version 2, circa 2004, reworked the functions to just four (communication, navigation, entertainment, and climate control). This third variant adds the function buttons, much like programmable PC function keys (they can be programmed, you know, just that no one does anymore) or radio buttons on your car audio system, to the four-way iDrive controller.

The Real iDrive in 2008

A fourth version of the iDrive may appear two years from now, with the replacement of the flagship 7 Series, which started the iDrive uproar in 2002. Sources say that at focus groups held over the winter by BMW in New York and Los Angeles, BMW sought feedback on a system not unlike Audi's MMI (multimedia interface): The driver chooses the basic function by pressing a button near the controller, and then fine-tunes with the MMI controller, which has the same kind of turning knob and press-to-select feature as the iDrive. Mercedes-Benz' new COMAND system on the S-Class works similarly."
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2006, 08:42 PM   #2
hkj
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
version 2

-hkj
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2006, 11:03 PM   #3
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerforlife
BMW's first official photos of the X5 show a row of eight programmable keys on the center console stack, to assist the iDrive. That means you will be able to program a favorite destination, a phone number, or an audio setting into each button, bypassing iDrive's slide, turn, and press-to-select methodology.
So once again, they're admitting that eliminating "normal" controls and stuffing them into the iDrive interface is a mistake. First the climate controls return, now this. Why not just eliminate the stupid thing altogether, or at least turn it into a decent touchscreen nav system, sourced from one of the Japanese mfr's, who all seem to be light years ahead of the europeans when it comes to nav systems?
      09-19-2006, 12:31 AM   #4
nickganga
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
I have to say, the iDrive knob isn't that bad. In fact, after using it for a month, i'm quite happy with it. It's nice to keep my hand resting on the arm rest while being able to control the system.
Appreciate 0