E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > iPod Adaptor - dealer wants to charge me for software update?

09-20-2006, 03:43 AM   #1
jhbodle
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
iPod Adaptor - dealer wants to charge me for software update?

I asked to have the new iPod MOST adaptor fitted to my E90 in the UK.

I have brought my E90 to my dealer today to get it fitted to my car, but they want to charge me to update the software to Progman 23. I thought this was covered under warranty?

Does anyone have a link to an official document showing that this should be covered under warranty? I know JSpira has been working closely with BMW on this and says it is covered under warranty, but I need a document to verify this. Thanks

Last edited by jhbodle; 09-20-2006 at 04:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2006, 03:54 PM   #2
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep
Drives: 330i SE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhbodle

I have brought my E90 to my dealer today to get it fitted to my car, but they want to charge me to update the software to Progman 23. I thought this was covered under warranty?

Does anyone have a link to an official document showing that this should be covered under warranty? I know JSpira has been working closely with BMW on this and says it is covered under warranty, but I need a document to verify this. Thanks
Hi Jay.

The boy you need to speak to is cobradac- he puts up all current SIB bulletins- that's how I managed to bend my dealer's arm so far backwards, he dared not charge me for the mp3 software update in January!

However, I think this is getting a little bit silly- you have (or intend) purchased a piece of equipment & have been quoted a price to have the hardware installed & working.
Any software update which is required for the car & it's associated equipment to function correctly, is covered by the manufacturer's warranty without charge.

If the dealer is trying to charge you extra for the software, in order to let the hardware work, then the Ipod interface isn't strictly 'fit for the purpose intended'- under the Sale of Goods Act.

I can't stand dealers 'trying it on' with me, especially when i know they really don't know what they are talking about.

If there is no way you can persuade them that they have already quoted a price & they are now going back on their word, then I'd just mention 'Trading Standards' to them a few times, mention a few other dealers who (may) have told you there was no other charge involved & then, finally, you could just tell them to **** off & say your solicitor will be getting in touch with them!

More seriously Jay, give cobradac a PM & see if there is a new SIB out for Progman 23 installation.

All the best.

Viv

BTW- you will come to UK2 if you get the installation sorted out, won't you?? Please??

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2006, 05:41 PM   #3
JSpira
Freude am Fahren
Austria
Rep
Drives: Fünfer, Dreier, +

Quote:

Correct - but my sources are BMW NA. I would hope that BMW in the UK would have the same policy but they don't always (just look at warranty durations as one example or free maintenance).

Keep us posted. Sorry I am not able to be of more assistance on this.

Jonathan

E90 2006 330xi
E90 2006 325i
E39 2003 530i Sport*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired

Nominated: Most Contributing Member
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2006, 12:32 PM   #4
jhbodle
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
All sorted now.

My car had problems taking Progman 23 so I had to leave it with the dealer for 2 days but it's all installed and working now. The official word from BMW UK is that software updates are chargeable if it doesn't fix a problem with the car. Because of the confusion over this, they waived the fee as a gesture of goodwill, so i'm happy

Love the iPod adaptor but I have one question for JSpira or anyone else who knows the answer: When browsing through the artists (CD2) on the head unit, clicking an artist lists all songs by that artist on the iPod. If you do this on the iPod itself the songs are divided into individual albums but on the BMW system they are all listed in one big list. Is there a reason they didn't use the same folder navigation as on the iPod? With my MP3 CDs, I always used the same layout as the iPod uses:

-Artist
|
-----Album 1
Track 1
Track 2
|
-----Album 2
Track 3
Track 4

But the BMW system takes the songs and does this;

-Artist
-----Track 1
Track 2
Track 3
Track 4
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2006, 12:34 PM   #5
JSpira
Freude am Fahren
Austria
Rep
Drives: Fünfer, Dreier, +

Quote:
All sorted now.

My car had problems taking Progman 23 so I had to leave it with the dealer for 2 days but it's all installed and working now. The official word from BMW UK is that software updates are chargeable if it doesn't fix a problem with the car. Because of the confusion over this, they waived the fee as a gesture of goodwill, so i'm happy

Love the iPod adaptor but I have one question for JSpira or anyone else who knows the answer: When browsing through the artists (CD2) on the head unit, clicking an artist lists all songs by that artist on the iPod. If you do this on the iPod itself the songs are divided into individual albums but on the BMW system they are all listed in one big list. Is there a reason they didn't use the same folder navigation as on the iPod? With my MP3 CDs, I always used the same layout as the iPod uses:

-Artist
|
-----Album 1
Track 1
Track 2
|
-----Album 2
Track 3
Track 4

But the BMW system takes the songs and does this;

-Artist
-----Track 1
Track 2
Track 3
Track 4
I´m aware of this - it´s on my list of stupidities they need to remedy some day.

Jonathan

E90 2006 330xi
E90 2006 325i
E39 2003 530i Sport*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired

Nominated: Most Contributing Member