E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Best suspension mods while keeping stock RFTs?

02-10-2011, 01:10 PM   #1
rs_philly
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi Monaco Blue

Best suspension mods while keeping stock RFTs?

I have searched and read through a *lot* of posts on springs (H&R, Eibach) and coilovers (KW V1, v3, TC Kline etc) for 335xi's, and they all seem to recommend getting rid of runflats to preserve ride quality. I would like to keep my runflats (I know the ride is harsh with RFTs but I don't want to give up the safety of the RFTs, or any trunk room for a spare).

I am looking for suspension mods - springs, or coilovers that retain, or improve upon, stock ride quality, while improving handling to rival or come close to my previous bmws (330zhp, 540 sport), or a 335i with ZSP and stock RFTs. Any thoughts would be much appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 03:36 PM   #2
henry418
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Honestly, any aftermarket set up will probably ruin your ride when you have RFTs. As far as I know, the softest set up is Eibachs + Bilstein Sport shocks (the only shocks available for x-drive people). This won't be too harsh + improved handling.

As for coilovers, there's AST, H&R, and KW v1s and v3s... personally wouldn't get H&R coilovers. I guess you could get KW v3s and put it on the softest setting. Although I'm pretty sure any of these coilovers will kill your ride with runflats. Just ditch the RFTs
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 08:40 PM   #3
stratplaya06
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335xi-SOLD 5.0 Miata

My car is livable with the runflats and v3's, and I have them set to KW recommended settings and also have m3 subframe bushings.

With that said, livable and good are two different things. I am going to wear these runflats out over this winter but the car will never see runflats again. AAA and the BMW mobility kit on non-rft > runcraps.

| PROcede Rev3 | Vishnu Meth | DCI | BMW Perf. Exhaust | AR Coated/Catless | CP-E FMIC | Quaife |
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 09:32 AM   #4
rs_philly
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi Monaco Blue

thanks for the quick responses guys. It looks like the eiback/billstein is a better option with the RFTs. If I go with this option, does it limit my ability to do more suspension mods in the future e.g. sway bars?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 12:18 PM   #5
henry418
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs_philly View Post
thanks for the quick responses guys. It looks like the eiback/billstein is a better option with the RFTs. If I go with this option, does it limit my ability to do more suspension mods in the future e.g. sway bars?
Nope.

They're both, in the end, springs + shocks. Just that coilovers are matched springs + shocks.
Appreciate 0