E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Looking to upgrade suspension

08-10-2020, 03:42 PM   #1
e92msport2013
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Looking to upgrade suspension

My 335i e92 msport (2013) is now at 70k miles. The feeling of the car feels like absolute dog shit compared to when I first got the car at 33k miles. The car still handles just fine and being pretty experienced with the car I can still push it to it's limits. But the car just feels like it's floating now and pushing it on technical turns on the canyons just doesn't feel right. It just very mushy to say the least and on hard accelerations in a straight line I feel like there is a delay in acceleration because the car isn't very planted.

My question is, what is recommended to do to solve this issue. I was thinking m3 control arms and the billstein b12 pro kit. I have attached links to the products here and I am a little confused for the control arms. Is the one I listed all I need to swap them out? What other parts would I need to order if I am going to go this route? Or do I not need anything else and I can order these two and I'll be good to go for instal.

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3...ding-m-models/

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-2...nsion-package/
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 07:11 PM   #2
CALWATERBOY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92msport2013 View Post
My 335i e92 msport (2013) is now at 70k miles. The feeling of the car feels like absolute dog shit compared to when I first got the car at 33k miles. The car still handles just fine and being pretty experienced with the car I can still push it to it's limits. But the car just feels like it's floating now and pushing it on technical turns on the canyons just doesn't feel right. It just very mushy to say the least and on hard accelerations in a straight line I feel like there is a delay in acceleration because the car isn't very planted.

Well, DO replace the rear subframe bushings w/M3 bushings to take slop outta the rear - pronounced diff.

And to be planted, increase camber. Lowering'll do that but how low do you go? You want that travel for comfort.

M3 arms up front will do a little but you can have alot if....you install M3 front sway bar....notice I didn't say rear sway....and camber plates. In the rear, M3 camber arms. Hafalook at Ground Control's Street / School Kit. You won't be sorry, installing that bad boy....flat put a smile on yer mug. And let me point out: Ground Control's kit includes linear Eibachs rear and front.

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 08-10-2020 at 07:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 07:16 PM   #3
CALWATERBOY
Major
Rep

If you go with Ground Control's kit, talk to Jay about spring rates - can set you up for any ride quality you like. Seriously.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 02:25 AM   #4
stevesingo
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330i MSport 6MT

Last summer I replaced every bush and bearing on he suspension with stock (OEM Equivalent-Lemforder) and fitted B12 kit.

The car (80k miles) was transformed. You'd be surprised the difference new stock makes.

It is a lot of work (and money) though. It took me 25hrs on a two post lift with all the tools available.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 04:41 AM   #5
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesingo View Post
Last summer I replaced every bush and bearing on he suspension with stock (OEM Equivalent-Lemforder) and fitted B12 kit.

The car (80k miles) was transformed. You'd be surprised the difference new stock makes.

It is a lot of work (and money) though. It took me 25hrs on a two post lift with all the tools available.
Interesting comment and something I've been thinking too. So many on here say 'my car had 100K and I fitted upgraded this, or M3 that, and the car was transformed'. Whereas replacing stock suspension parts after 100K would make any car night and day better...
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 07:00 AM   #6
CALWATERBOY
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil325i View Post
Interesting comment and something I've been thinking too. So many on here say 'my car had 100K and I fitted upgraded this, or M3 that, and the car was transformed'. Whereas replacing stock suspension parts after 100K would make any car night and day better...

Well, here's the thing: Stock suspension has major deficiencies. Fix those for a big leg up from the best stock can be.
Appreciate 1
      08-12-2020, 06:33 AM   #7
stevesingo
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330i MSport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
Well, here's the thing: Stock suspension has major deficiencies. Fix those for a big leg up from the best stock can be.
The best stock can be is new stock. Adding changes to an already deteriorated baseline is masking issues arising from wear and tear.
Appreciate 1
tlow982188.00
      08-12-2020, 11:10 PM   #8
tlow98
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil325i View Post
Doing just the front Koni yellow with all new rubbers and OE bumps stops was an incredible difference. Leaving it on full soft - incredibly smooth, planted, and competent.

But I'd be lying if I didn't want to pull the monoball thrust bushing and install new hydro thrust bushings just to see the difference with new stockers.
Appreciate 1
      08-13-2020, 03:51 PM   #9
CALWATERBOY
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesingo View Post
The best stock can be is new stock. Adding changes to an already deteriorated baseline is masking issues arising from wear and tear.

Whazzat? Wait....replace with better than stock parts. Eliminate worn parts + go way beyond the best stock ever was.

Too bad M division isn't simply the base.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 04:48 PM   #10
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

I have the B12 Prokit on my car and I really like it. It's a little on the firm side....which kind of sucks on rough roads, but overall it's a very nice ride. And the Eibach springs lowered the just just enough to see it's not stock...but it's not slammed.

I'm very happy with it.
Appreciate 0