E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Quick couple wastegate questions

07-12-2019, 02:07 PM   #1
masterstone
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is

Quick couple wastegate questions

Hey guys,

New 335is owner here and being DIY saavy I had a few questions.

1. What mileage (generally) would these begin to fail at? I've noticed some fail early but the majority seem to be somewhere near 100,000 miles or so.

2. My car is a 2011, since this was a known issue in the lifecycle was there anything possibly done different to the later years to alleviate the problems?

Attached photo from the top of my engine, absolutely zero rattle or movement and fairly new looking (88,000KM, services at BMW new until 72,000km)

Am I lucky at this point, or am I well ahead of the expected fail date?

With the 100,000km service items coming up I want to budget and plan for whatever I may need to do. I also had a scare with a light rattle, but it comes from the backside of the car, phew
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 02:25 PM   #2
Jklad
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

I wouldnt use the term fail, but the stock wastegates arms can fall out of spec within 30-60k miles and cause rattle. It's not a big deal that they are rattling, as long as they seal and boost up well the rattles can stay for another 50- 70k Miles. Usually, it's the rear turbo that will rattle since it's exposed to more heat, and it can easily be adjusted from the top back into spec, quiet just like new. The front turbo is a bitch to get to but there's another adjustment from the top you can do by way of shims. This is due to the rod and nut design of the wastegate actuator arm. Aftermarket turbos have the same issue and can rattle, though it might take a little longer to get to that point.

Often though folks think the rattle is due to the wastegate or arm, but it's actually due to a vaccuum line leak elsewhere, so always check and replace your lines first before messing with the arms.

Since yours is a 2011 is, you would have the updated actuator arm with a bigger rod arm vs what the originals came with. I'd say the rods are good for 150k, the flapper as well, but depends on many factors. If you remember that these turbos were installed on tens of thousands of vehicles that shared these turbos, they last a long time well past 100k Miles in most cases.
      07-12-2019, 06:00 PM   #3
masterstone
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jklad View Post
I wouldnt use the term fail, but the stock wastegates arms can fall out of spec within 30-60k miles and cause rattle. It's not a big deal that they are rattling, as long as they seal and boost up well the rattles can stay for another 50- 70k Miles. Usually, it's the rear turbo that will rattle since it's exposed to more heat, and it can easily be adjusted from the top back into spec, quiet just like new. The front turbo is a bitch to get to but there's another adjustment from the top you can do by way of shims. This is due to the rod and nut design of the wastegate actuator arm. Aftermarket turbos have the same issue and can rattle, though it might take a little longer to get to that point.

Often though folks think the rattle is due to the wastegate or arm, but it's actually due to a vaccuum line leak elsewhere, so always check and replace your lines first before messing with the arms.

Since yours is a 2011 is, you would have the updated actuator arm with a bigger rod arm vs what the originals came with. I'd say the rods are good for 150k, the flapper as well, but depends on many factors. If you remember that these turbos were installed on tens of thousands of vehicles that shared these turbos, they last a long time well past 100k Miles in most cases.
Nice, I appreciate the concise reply. Firstly that's a relief.

Follow up question, I've heard about the shim idea, would it be advantageous to do this right away to avoid potential problems?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 11:59 PM   #4
Jklad
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterstone View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jklad View Post

Nice, I appreciate the concise reply. Firstly that's a relief.

Follow up question, I've heard about the shim idea, would it be advantageous to do this right away to avoid potential problems?
No, I wouldn't make any adjustments until or unless it falls out of spec. You would not be preventing anything by inserting shims when they were not needed.