E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > HID headlight flicker

08-09-2010, 11:50 PM   #1
e90monster_in_OC
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

HID headlight flicker

I just installed HIDs in the headlights and foglights of my 3 series, iand they flicker from time to time. Is there a way to get rid of this? or is this just the type of hids i bought?

Thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 12:18 AM   #2
NiVeDh
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i, '99 E36 M3

Garage List
I think you need resistors.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 07:55 AM   #3
jafza412
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M4 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiVeDh View Post
I think you need resistors.
I think he means capacitors. HID lights draw variable current as opposed to halogens and the capacitors help regulate this flow. The lights flicker and go out after a few seconds because they aren't getting adequate supply.

Either way, you need error cancelers. I ran into this issue too and ordered a set of eBay error cancelers but they didn't work, but they have worked for other people. I ordered a set from JLevi and they are coming in today, I'll update on how that goes.

Current: 2016 M3 | Mineral Grey on Black
Retired: 2010 E92 335xi, 2007 E90 328i, 2010 A4, 2003 E46 325xi

Last edited by jafza412; 08-10-2010 at 10:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 10:05 AM   #4
e90monster_in_OC
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Thanks man, for sure I got a couple codes because I changed 4 bulbs out. I appriciate the help. Where can I purchase capacitors?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 10:29 AM   #5
jafza412
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M4 CS

Here are the ebay ones I got.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HID-K...#ht_5574wt_860

They allowed my lights to stay on but I kept getting errors, here is my post that covers my issues:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=414807

I emailed the guy and told him my problem and he advised changing the polarity for both of them, so I'll try that. Unfortunately my car is in the shop right now getting the Homelink fixed, but I think I'll get it back today and I'll try that suggestion.

Otherwise my JLevi cancelers are coming in today too so I'll update on whether they work.

http://www.jlevistreetwerks.com/p71/...duct_info.html

Current: 2016 M3 | Mineral Grey on Black
Retired: 2010 E92 335xi, 2007 E90 328i, 2010 A4, 2003 E46 325xi
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 10:51 AM   #6
Ocelaris
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Flickering in HIDs with aftermarket HIDs is usually because of cheap electronics... Sorry no offense, but I've seen a lot of kits, and that's generally the case with non-oem components. HID ballasts actually do draw a constant current/voltage once they're warmed up. The ballast's job is to make it constant once the bulb is warmed up.

Ballasts are just inverters, they turn DC 12volts into AC 85volts roughly. They take a sharp square wave and turn it into a nice curvey sine wave. But the way they do it, is to pulse modulate the signal and the frequency depends on the components. Cheaper components means choppier sine waves.

You can try and fix the power and ground, that could be a limiting factor, what gauge power wires are you using? where does the power tap in? What about relays for the signal? Improving the power and ground will give the ballasts the best chance possible of not flickering, but it has been my experience over the years unfortunately that "kits" usually have just shoddier parts... When you have illegal components (which all aftermarket HID kits are), you get distributors who fly under the radar, and quality control is sorely lacking. I wish the DOT would make them legal and subject them to regulation, but as it stands, it's a crap shoot what you get.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 12:58 PM   #7
faz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 x40i, 2018 330i F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocelaris View Post
I wish the DOT would make them legal and subject them to regulation, but as it stands, it's a crap shoot what you get.
Have you ever been in front of a car that has HIDs in its non-projector reflector housing? There is a reason they are illegal, and I personally agree with that reason.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 01:30 PM   #8
cb1111
I ask the questions you're afraid to ask.
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
I wish the DOT would make them legal and subject them to regulation, but as it stands, it's a crap shoot what you get.
There is no prohibition in any DOT regulation that makes aftermarket lighting products illegal as long and they meet all the requirements. Currently, there are no aftermarket headlights that meet the requirements.

These are illegal only because they don't meet the regs. Aside from fining manufacturers and educating the public not to buy this crap, there isn't much DOT can do.

Knock-off handbags and watches are illegal too - that doesn't stop people from buying them.

Quite simply FMVSS 108 forbids the sale, installation or use of non-conforming lighting products. Accordingly, the store that sold them broke the law, the importer broke the law and the OP is driving a car that will fail inspection and he is subject to having the cops stop him, ticket him and having his car towed and impounded until he brings the headlamps up to code - which he can only do by installing OE headlamps, bulbs and ballasts.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 01:40 PM   #9
e90monster_in_OC
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Thats true, lifted trucks with non projector housing is murder to my eyes at night.

But yeah, the kit was pretty cheap so that could be the culprit.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 05:53 PM   #10
ALLEGIANT1
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 BMW 328XI

hid headlight conversion

looking for help.... I have 2008 BMW 328XI with adaptive hid headlights and they are a nightmare. I want to know if anyone has had any success retrofitting aftermarket led headlights?
      08-12-2020, 10:14 AM   #11
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

All of the posts about capacitors or resistors seem to be coming from those unfamiliar with BMW electronics, specifically lighting.

A stock E90 conducts a bulb check on nearly every exterior bulb on the car. It does this by rapidly pulsing and looking for an open circuit - if found, you get a bulb malfunction warning on the dash. It normally pulses very quickly so you can't see any blinking with normal halogen bulbs. When you install HID ballasts and bulbs in your headlights (either OEM BMW HIDs or cheap aftermarket kits) and your car was originally equipped with halogen bulbs, they're going to flicker because the HID ballast can't handle this rapid flickering for the bulb check. The easiest fix isn't to install capacitors or resistors. These bulb checks can easily be coded out with 'standard tools' and a K+DCAN programming cable. Just search this site for FRM bulb check coding. There are tons of resources.

Same goes for LED bulbs that people often swap out for side markers or turn signals or halo rings. If they were originally halogen, unless you code out the bulb checks you're likely to see them flicker and may see bulb error indicators on the dash.

Some headlight kits or LED kits come with "error cancellers" which are usually heavy duty resistors too allow the lower resistance LED bulbs to match the resistance of the bulbs they're replacing. These usually work fine for LEDs, but it's much easier to just code out the bulb checks. I'm not sure how they work for HIDs as I have no experience with that.

Also, please consider your fellow drivers on the road and don't use HID or LED headlights bulbs in a halogen reflector. The E90 is low but there's still a lot of scatter from these mismatched headlight setups. Spend the money and get a proper HID projector headlight, whether that's a OEM BMW headlight set or a custom retrofit, but it's essential you have a HID projector with the proper cutoff.

Last edited by lowrydr310; 08-12-2020 at 10:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 01:57 PM   #12
ewicky
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335xi 4D AT

Quote:
...When you have illegal components (which all aftermarket HID kits are), you get distributors who fly under the radar, and quality control is sorely lacking. I wish the DOT would make them legal and subject them to regulation, but as it stands, it's a crap shoot what you get.
Quote:
Originally Posted by faz View Post
Have you ever been in front of a car that has HIDs in its non-projector reflector housing? There is a reason they are illegal, and I personally agree with that reason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1111 View Post
There is no prohibition in any DOT regulation that makes aftermarket lighting products illegal as long and they meet all the requirements. Currently, there are no aftermarket headlights that meet the requirements.

These are illegal only because they don't meet the regs. Aside from fining manufacturers and educating the public not to buy this crap, there isn't much DOT can do...Quite simply FMVSS 108 forbids the sale, installation or use of non-conforming lighting products. Accordingly, the store that sold them broke the law, the importer broke the law and the OP is driving a car that will fail inspection and he is subject to having the cops stop him, ticket him and having his car towed and impounded until he brings the headlamps up to code - which he can only do by installing OE headlamps, bulbs and ballasts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by e90monster_in_OC View Post
Thats true, lifted trucks with non projector housing is murder to my eyes at night...
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrydr310 View Post
...Also, please consider your fellow drivers on the road and don't use HID or LED headlights bulbs in a halogen reflector. The E90 is low but there's still a lot of scatter from these mismatched headlight setups. Spend the money and get a proper HID projector headlight, whether that's a OEM BMW headlight set or a custom retrofit, but it's essential you have a HID projector with the proper cutoff.
I agree completely. I also think it's interesting how quickly we are to tell people how stupid this illegal shit is, and complain about getting glare from other cars etc.

And yet nobody/fewer seems to jump to these conclusions when people suggest catless downpipes or gutting catalytic converters (apologies if the forum sensors this, but think of the expensive honeycomb structure in the exhaust system that cleans up the emission).

There's a reason it's illegal. There's a reason it throws codes. Am I the only one that hates getting stuck behind an un-catalyzed car and how nauseatingly stinky it is? Am I the only one bothered by the actions of one ricer negating the emissions benefits of thousands of dollars spent by others?

People. Stick to the designs made available by engineers. Rant over.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 04:51 PM   #13
ALLEGIANT1
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 BMW 328XI

Adaptive headlights NOT working

I was looking for a remedy for my HID headlights. Ever since I purchased my 328xi, the adaptive headlights have not worked properly. I cannot control the highbeams from the stalk and there is a flutter if you will on the lights. it appears to be the shutter for the high/low beams itself.
I can seem to find a thread that will help me with this issue. I'm not sure if it's the from or the shutters, ballast, lamps or all of the above.
I've tried to find a plug and play aftermarket led in hopes that it would be a more economical solution.
Any information or guidance would be greatly appreciated.
      08-12-2020, 07:00 PM   #14
309xi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLEGIANT1 View Post
I was looking for a remedy for my HID headlights. Ever since I purchased my 328xi, the adaptive headlights have not worked properly. I cannot control the highbeams from the stalk and there is a flutter if you will on the lights. it appears to be the shutter for the high/low beams itself.
I can seem to find a thread that will help me with this issue. I'm not sure if it's the from or the shutters, ballast, lamps or all of the above.
I've tried to find a plug and play aftermarket led in hopes that it would be a more economical solution.
Any information or guidance would be greatly appreciated.
I mean there's always the eBay headlights for around $300. They're probably pretty hit or miss on condensation, but they come for halogen or xenon equipped cars.
Appreciate 0