E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Money $hifting need help

04-17-2012, 01:25 PM   #89
bimmerboy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

looks like that money shifting is gonna cost you money lol

sorry i had to.

good luck!
      04-17-2012, 02:25 PM   #90
ppatel223
Banned
Rep
Drives: F10 I3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by phazen23 View Post
(Generally speaking, not directed at anyone in particular)

It amazes me just how many people are just one decision away from being a criminal and don't think anything of it.

I don't care who you are, committing fraud to save yourself money (and apparently not even a lot of money relative to the cost of the vehicle we drive) is incredibly stupid, and affects us all. To those of you who get away with it, don't you think it costs the rest of us money too? The dealer and BMW don't get money out of thin air to cover warranty replacements you know. They make it back by raising service and vehicle pricing. Maybe that's why BMW service labor is so expensive.

And that's not even mentioning the actual immorality of it all.

F*ck all of you who even thought of telling the OP to try warrantying it. F*ck all of you with giant, barbed, un-lubed, searing hot exhaust pipes.
I agree with you, being honest is the best you can do, but we live in different world today, so being honest is same price, getting fucked with the same hot exhaust pipes. It is never ending battle among human race.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 03:56 PM   #91
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

There is a reason they call it a "money shift".
I'm not going to lecture anyone on proper shifting technique.
A money shift gets soured in the DME and from what I know, short of killing the DME they *WILL* be able to read the over rev.

It truly does suck but what should anyone but the OP pay for his mistake?

I've never had a money shift. I will say I do like paddle shifters and steptronic. The only thing better is DCT.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 04:05 PM   #92
335 oClock
MOE
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC2000 View Post
Why should BMW cover your mistake? Its unfortunate that it happened, but you already said it was your fault so now own up to it and cover it on your dime.
people like you make me mad. why would you support multi billion dollar companies over broke people that just need help and could find a way around it?

OP. make insurance or BMW pay for it. Nice shift.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 04:10 PM   #93
nikitino25
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i

ebay engine

Man that ebay engine looks like a sweet deal; would be nice to have that thing lying around as a spare engine or totally trick it out or something. Might be good option for OP....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeme521 View Post
Don't feel like reading everyones comments so I am sure you have been informed of this already. The reason you car had oil spilling out of it is because you ripped one of your connecting rods from one of the pistons and inserted through the oil pan and onto the pavement about 1/4 mile from where you stopped on the side of the road. Just get one of these and everything will be just fine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-N54-N54B...ht_6375wt_1348
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 04:31 PM   #94
JamesM3M5
Some dude
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Damn, that eBay engine looks like a great deal! Only downside is the 1/2009+ 6-bolt flywheel, but I doubt that makes too big of a deal.

A failure like that usually claims the ENTIRE engine - from what the OP described, I would bet real money that there is a hole in the block AND at least one or more cylinders is trashed from pistons hitting valves, breaking them off, dropping into the still rotating bottom end, and literally trashing the entire insides of multiple cylinders. There is no rebuilding of that engine, I guarantee that. You may be able to salvage certain parts off the engine such as VANOS valves, sensors, etc, but the complete block and cylinder head, and possibly cams and crank are damaged from that kind of over-rev. 2nd gear at 80+ MPH for more any amount of time is going to cost big money.

And yeah, where is the OP?!?
      04-17-2012, 04:48 PM   #95
Dickson
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 m3 | ZCP | mineral white

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335 oClock View Post
people like you make me mad. why would you support multi billion dollar companies over broke people that just need help and could find a way around it?

Please tell me you are trolling.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 04:49 PM   #96
LOLrance
The Law.
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:

People like you make me mad. How old are you? Why don't you man up and realize you made a mistake and deal with it instead of trying scam your insurance or BMW for your fuck up.

I don't care if its a multi billion dollar company or a small mom and pop shop, you screwed up, deal with it. If hes broke and can't afford to fix it, he probably shouldn't be owning this car in the first place.

/rant.
      04-17-2012, 04:57 PM   #97
rader1
Banned
Rep
Drives: Cobb Stage 2+ 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesM3M5 View Post
And yeah, where is the OP?!?
Maybe he was trolling or maybe he realised that a 5 page long discussion on e90post(literally the first google search result for "BMW message board") of how he missed a shift and blew his engine was a bad idea. We may never know...
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 05:03 PM   #98
mundo74
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianthegreat
Quote:
Originally Posted by mundo74 View Post
It's called and automatic or dct transmission. I drive a manual so don't get me wrong, but I noticed that a lot of us look down on autos saying not for the true enthusiast. Well in this case it would not have happened.
It's ok, you're not a true enthusiast
Yeah I'm getting soft.
      04-17-2012, 05:06 PM   #99
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by l4wr3nc3 View Post
People like you make me mad. How old are you? Why don't you man up and realize you made a mistake and deal with it instead of trying scam your insurance or BMW for your fuck up.

I don't care if its a multi billion dollar company or a small mom and pop shop, you screwed up, deal with it. If hes broke and can't afford to fix it, he probably shouldn't be owning this car in the first place.

/rant.
I agree with the guy you quoted.

If I paid for every mistake I've ever made, the world would be unbalanced because I sure as hell have paid for mistakes that others have made too. With that in mind, if I can get a multi-national corp like BMW to pay for some of mine, I don't feel aggrieved when I have to pay for someone else's.

Like it or don't like it, who gives a fuck? This is the world we live in, your heightened morality index isn't going to change it so I'm just going to roll with it.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 05:17 PM   #100
LOLrance
The Law.
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post

If I paid for every mistake I've ever made, the world would be unbalanced because I sure as hell have paid for mistakes that others have made too. With that in mind, if I can get a multi-national corp like BMW to pay for some of mine, I don't feel aggrieved when I have to pay for someone else's.

Like it or don't like it, who gives a fuck? This is the world we live in, your heightened morality index isn't going to change it so I'm just going to roll with it.
You're right. Integrity, who needs it. Shits overrated.
      04-17-2012, 05:27 PM   #101
AU335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i E92

damn OP, i've been in a small scale situation like this before with my old car... the dealer tried saying I needed to replace the entire motor as well when all I did was warp a head gasket!!! fucking robbery! so you know what I did? I found an inside man to tell them the radiator was leaking and what do ya know... The dealer all of a sudden said it could be fixed without a replacement motor when it was on their dime now... so OP do what you can to make this situation better... because in all honesty no one out there is a saint and everyone is out there for themselves... if you've never made an immoral decision in your life, then go ahead and bash everyone saying to do the immoral... but I highly doubt that's the case here...

edit: I do however firmly believe in Karma and try to keep mine in the green... but the dealer tried to fuck me over, so I returned the favor.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 05:28 PM   #102
Syndicategt
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Take a sledge hammer to your oil pan and say you hit a man cover or something (I've given 4 great very immoral ideas...lets see some mroe)
2008 BMW 335i e90 - Sold - Rob Beck Turbos / PROcede V5 / Aquamist HFS-4 / AR Downpipes / AE Exhaust / ER Comp FMIC / ER CP / TiAL BOV / Custom Intake / RPI Scoops / Quaife LSD / Swift-Koni Coilovers / DSS HS / Morr VS8.2 Sig Black / Michelin PSS / P3 Boost Guage / M3 body / M3 steering wheel / Adam's Rotors / Hawk HPS / SS lines /
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 05:37 PM   #103
phazen23
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post

You (and the others lacking morality in this thread) have it backwards bro. Your lack of morality brings the average down, CAUSING the world we live in. We shouldn't lower our morality level because the world is a tough place. It's a tough place BECAUSE of the people lacking morals. If some of you would change your attitude, the world wouldn't be as tough a place to live in.

It's nice that you don't get aggravated when you have to pay like $200/hr to BMW, but your apathy affects those of us who think BMW shouldn't charge lawyer wages for mechanical work (and don't get me started on lawyers).

P.S. to all: Sorry for my searing hot barbed exhaust pipe up the rectum comment. It was said hastily, and I wasn't nearly as worked up as it sounded.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 05:37 PM   #104
Bimmer100_
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 G80 M3 6SPD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndicategt View Post
Take a sledge hammer to your oil pan and say you hit a man cover or something (I've given 4 great very immoral ideas...lets see some mroe)
      04-17-2012, 06:09 PM   #105
FazerBoy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

I ride motorcycles and most of the large sports bikes are now fitted with 'slipper' clutches which will not allow the equivalent of a money shift.

The consequences of changing down to a gear too low for the actual road speed on a motorcycle can be life-threatening as the rear wheel will lock up, and a slipper clutch disengages the drive in a situation like this.

I don't have much technical or engineering knowledge and so I don't know whether this type of solution could be used in a car.

Jack
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 06:18 PM   #106
ianthegreat
Colonel
Rep
Drives: n54

Quote:
Originally Posted by FazerBoy View Post
I ride motorcycles and most of the large sports bikes are now fitted with 'slipper' clutches which will not allow the equivalent of a money shift.

The consequences of changing down to a gear too low for the actual road speed on a motorcycle can be life-threatening as the rear wheel will lock up, and a slipper clutch disengages the drive in a situation like this.

I don't have much technical or engineering knowledge and so I don't know whether this type of solution could be used in a car.

Jack
Yea, we used to lock our dirt bike tires up all the time when shifting down to quick.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 06:33 PM   #107
USC2000
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M Sport

Quote:

Because those multibillion dollar companies pass those costs onto the consumer, which is you and me by jacking up the cost of the car. So in the end we do end up paying for his mistake. But go ahead and believe in your mind that BMW is really covering this out of their pocket.
      04-17-2012, 06:38 PM   #108
AU335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by phazen23 View Post
You (and the others lacking morality in this thread) have it backwards bro. Your lack of morality brings the average down, CAUSING the world we live in. We shouldn't lower our morality level because the world is a tough place. It's a tough place BECAUSE of the people lacking morals. If some of you would change your attitude, the world wouldn't be as tough a place to live in.

It's nice that you don't get aggravated when you have to pay like $200/hr to BMW, but your apathy affects those of us who think BMW shouldn't charge lawyer wages for mechanical work (and don't get me started on lawyers).

P.S. to all: Sorry for my searing hot barbed exhaust pipe up the rectum comment. It was said hastily, and I wasn't nearly as worked up as it sounded.

To all the people who are bashing the "immoral"... you must be really naive to believe the Dealer wouldn't fuck you over in a heartbeat when presented the opportunity...

what about all the people who know nothing of the mechanics of a car and have to take the word of the dealership to have a repair made... getting ass-raped for simple repairs is not an uncommon practice in this business and I'm willing to bet it happens ALOT more often than people trying to scam the dealership. Sure, you can say the dealer makes up for it with their "goodwill" (which I actually rarely ever even hear about) but a few goodwills doesn't make up for the unimaginable amount of highway robberies they've committed on their customers... oh and simply because "they drive a BMW and can afford it" is just plain horse shit if you ask me...

Let's not forget these are the same dealers that not too long ago tried to refuse HPFP replacements and voided warranties because of a tune or DCI installed... Sorry, but if dealers can get away with taking advantage of people, why can't it be the other way around? Like I said, not everyone out there is a saint...
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 07:05 PM   #109
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

lol at some of the responses in this thread. Typical young society, wanting everything for free. Not owning up to their own mistakes. More handouts.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 07:16 PM   #110
phazen23
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU335i View Post
To all the people who are bashing the "immoral"... you must be really naive to believe the Dealer wouldn't fuck you over in a heartbeat when presented the opportunity...

what about all the people who know nothing of the mechanics of a car and have to take the word of the dealership to have a repair made... getting ass-raped for simple repairs is not an uncommon practice in this business and I'm willing to bet it happens ALOT more often than people trying to scam the dealership. Sure, you can say the dealer makes up for it with their "goodwill" (which I actually rarely ever even hear about) but a few goodwills doesn't make up for the unimaginable amount of highway robberies they've committed on their customers... oh and simply because "they drive a BMW and can afford it" is just plain horse shit if you ask me...

Let's not forget these are the same dealers that not too long ago tried to refuse HPFP replacements and voided warranties because of a tune or DCI installed... Sorry, but if dealers can get away with taking advantage of people, why can't it be the other way around? Like I said, not everyone out there is a saint...
Not all dealers screw their customers over, just the ones that are as immoral as some in this thread. In a way, you're actually supporting my point. Despite my pessimistic vew of BMW and their overcharging, I'm sure more of them then not try to do the right thing. They just end up having to rape us all come invoice time so that they can cover the costs of the jerks who game the system.

Don't think for a second that because my morals are strong that I somehow think i live in some utopia where everyone farts flowers. I'm not trying to say we all should be goody two shoes and go all stepford wives. I'm saying this world is going to hell in a hand basket because of attitudes just like yours.

In any case, my point (at least in this post) is that the solution to handle immoral individuals or companies is not to to beat them by becoming immoral or more immoral. Beat them by not being immoral, and taking responsibility for ones actions. It doesn't protect you from attempts of immorality against you, but it certainly helps the good side in the "immorality battle".
Appreciate 0