E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Unpleasant Renting Experience

08-07-2018, 09:22 PM   #23
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

I didn't read all of that but the answer is simple: "lawyer!"
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 11:31 AM   #24
xander_g
Major
Rep
Drives: G30 M550i

Garage List
Look for your local landlord/tenant legislation, there should be provisions for terminating a lease early.

If you don't want to deal with the hassle, call a lawyer. You would be surprised what kind of issues can be resolved with a simple letter.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 11:03 AM   #25
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
So.

This most recent issue has been going on since Monday with the promise of bringing the issue on up the ladder and a call back from a supervisor that same night or Tuesday morning. I called on Wednesday to see what the deal was and that it is "impossible" to transfer me to a supervisor and that I need to await their call.

Well, I'm getting ready to call for a third time as I have not gotten the slightest response from anyone even with it being marked as "urgent".

So, what does one do if you cannot even make communication? Am I really going to need to have a lawyer write them a letter since I cannot even get a f&$(ing courtesy callback?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 09:01 PM   #26
Db750
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 991S & 2013 M3 CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
So.

This most recent issue has been going on since Monday with the promise of bringing the issue on up the ladder and a call back from a supervisor that same night or Tuesday morning. I called on Wednesday to see what the deal was and that it is "impossible" to transfer me to a supervisor and that I need to await their call.

Well, I'm getting ready to call for a third time as I have not gotten the slightest response from anyone even with it being marked as "urgent".

So, what does one do if you cannot even make communication? Am I really going to need to have a lawyer write them a letter since I cannot even get a f&$(ing courtesy callback?
You need to become very familiar with your local landlord tenant laws. Google your city/state and "landlord tenant act". They are Def in violation of many things knowing your rights (beyond the lease) should help.

Besides water, what about MOLD!!! MOLD = LAWSUIT as a landlord I promise you that is not something we want to mess with.

Finally if they will not rectify situation there are 1. Laws regarding how you must go about withholding rent if you want to have repairs made on your own or 2. Just call code enforcement and they will have to fix it or they will get a lein on their building and you will be able to pretty easily get out of your lease.

Landlord tenant act supersedes anything your lease says.
Appreciate 3
      08-20-2018, 03:34 PM   #27
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
I might try to get them to terminate the lease first. If you go down this path, they will probably say they repaired everything and show repair records, you will say they didn't repair it properly, and so forth... with the government in between. You might get to the end of the lease before it is resolved. If they won't terminate the lease, then sure this is probably a good step to consider.
Squeaky wheel gets the grease; I would do both simultaneously. Neither entities are quick to move and by the time you hit a roadblock with one, at least the other process/paper trail will have already started.

I'm sure that whoever you talk to next will take moving you to a new/non-shitty unit more seriously when you mention that a city inspector is stopping by your current place for a visit.

Also, where are you ultimately trying to build? I know some peeps in Mabelton and on my most recent visit was surprised at how much cheaper homes are, in general, down that way; same/similar homes are twice the cost here in MD as they are in the Atlanta area. Could be an interesting place to move to eventually.
Appreciate 1
RickFLM410879.00