E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > N53 odd vibration

10-17-2017, 11:40 AM   #1
Dormermike
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bmw f10

N53 odd vibration

Hi all

I've noticed that if I rev my N53 engine in neutral (it's an auto) it is smooth as you'd expect up to 2500 ish rpm where the whole car shakes (can feel it if the door is open) and that then goes by 2800 rpm and it smooths out again. Latest revision injectors, no codes, no idle misfire, no sooty exhaust. Running great apart from this very narrow slice of shakey RPM.

Any ideas please? I've had lots of straight six engines and never noticed this before. I've had this car two years and couldn't tell you if this is new or not. You'd not notice it in day to day driving unless you were looking for it.

Thanks
Mike
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 08:38 AM   #2
Dormermike
Captain
Rep

This was mistaken for a wheel balance issue by a BMW dealer. Thats how it feels. They had it for a whole day.

Logically looking at the engine it's going to be plugs coil packs or injectors...

Rough running on rheingold shows nothing amiss. The engine does feel like it's firing on 5 cylinders during this RPM. I was testing it on the motorway earlier. It is mostly only on light throttle.

Anyone know how to track down which cylinder is faulty? I could go pulling coil pack plugs but prefer not to do that as it requires holding the revs at 2800 RPM or so.

No codes.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2017, 05:41 AM   #3
frenchi
Lieutenant
France
Rep
Drives: F30 340i M Performance

Got that on two N53 - HPFP ...no codes no errors full power and once Hpfp and low pressure sensor replaced, no more vibration resonance.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2017, 07:07 PM   #4
Dormermike
Captain
Rep

Ugh.. need to get rid of this car

Thanks. The vibration is at 2000 rpm, not higher as I stated. Why does the HPFP cause that?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2017, 03:39 AM   #5
Dormermike
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchi View Post
Got that on two N53 - HPFP ...no codes no errors full power and once Hpfp and low pressure sensor replaced, no more vibration resonance.
How was it diagnosed? I doubt the talented engineers at my local BMW dealer will be able to do anything without the computer codes to guide them...
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2017, 04:19 AM   #6
frenchi
Lieutenant
France
Rep

You can start with coils as these are cheap and easy to replace,but once plugs coils and injectors replaced we got only hpfp left and that solved the problem ...not a single code and car idle was perfect.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2017, 05:04 AM   #7
Dormermike
Captain
Rep

If have the fully comp BMW warranty so I should be covered. My concern is the complete lack of skills at the BMW dealer which means I have to keep going back and forth as they try out new things.

Last edited by Dormermike; 06-06-2020 at 02:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2017, 08:32 AM   #8
bfleming
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Merc, VW, Porsche, Suzuki

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dormermike View Post
Anyone want to buy a f10 530i..
I'm passively looking at F10's at the moment, but my budget will make you cry more than your current running woes do!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 03:47 AM   #9
Dormermike
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Can you elaborate on the symptoms that you saw please? Did it happen only when hot, all the time, etc?

Mine is running great 21mpg on a short (sub 5 mile from cold) trip and no sooty exhaust. Just this annoying random vibration on the motorway at light throttle.. doesn't happen all the time. Sometimes it feels like a misfire (running on 5 cylinders) or not too unlike a propshaft out of balance. Other times just minor like a wheel buckle or balance.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 05:26 AM   #10
frenchi
Lieutenant
France
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dormermike View Post
Can you elaborate on the symptoms that you saw please? Did it happen only when hot, all the time, etc?

Mine is running great 21mpg on a short (sub 5 mile from cold) trip and no sooty exhaust. Just this annoying random vibration on the motorway at light throttle.. doesn't happen all the time. Sometimes it feels like a misfire (running on 5 cylinders) or not too unlike a propshaft out of balance. Other times just minor like a wheel buckle or balance.
It happens on hot engine low rpms 1500-2000 and low throttle and it sounds like a high pressure pipe vibrating. Never happend on full throttle and high Rpms. Was a bit crazy as it doesn't happen all the time..will be perfect for a week and then start vibrating for a day.

One more thing to check - some of these N53 got a vaccum controlled engine mounts and vaccum line or mounts may be damaged !!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 06:32 AM   #11
Dormermike
Captain
Rep

Quote:
It happens on hot engine low rpms 1500-2000 and low throttle and it sounds like a high pressure pipe vibrating. Never happend on full throttle and high Rpms. Was a bit crazy as it doesn't happen all the time..will be perfect for a week and then start vibrating for a day.

One more thing to check - some of these N53 got a vaccum controlled engine mounts and vaccum line or mounts may be damaged !!
Ah thank you. I've had this vibration at higher rpm on the motorway perhaps even 5000 rpm at times. At idle it is only at 2000 rpm. Good call on the mounts. All this started when a BMW dealer changed the front wishbones (it's an F10). I had it in France the week before and cruising for hours at cough cough speeds as smooth as glass.
Appreciate 0