E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Looks like i'm taking the manifold off...

06-24-2018, 04:56 AM   #1
Andy198712
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 E91 325d

Looks like i'm taking the manifold off...

Hi,

I've had my N57 a while now and i scan it on a fairly regular basis to keep on top of things, and recently ive noticed the odd swirl flap error pop up occasionally.
so mental prepped my self for taking the manifold off soon

then yesterday while cruising down the private road at about 100-110 (normally don't but it had been awhile)

after about 5 mins or less of it the car said "engine malfunction - reduced engine power"
and the power died off.... luckily i was just about to come to a slip road and then it didn't show the warning any more and all was fine, no signs at all.

the scan showed swirl flap plausibility again, so i'm guessing this is carbon build up in the manifold, and the sustained higher load was enough to trigger the limp mode.

so the plan is remove the swirl flaps as it s a bit easier, better designed on the N57, clean the manifold and ports as best i can.

maybe a catch tank in the near future too.... i figure oil and soot don't cause an issue on their own, but together they do so take one out the equation.....
also the EGR helps with regens so easier to deal with the oil.

i'll get some pictures ect as its on 79k miles, be interesting to see what its like in there.

should also fit the meth injection setup i've been collecting i guess!

Cheers

Andy
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2018, 09:22 AM   #2
Andy198712
Major
Rep

How does the little valve at the lower back (near bulkhead) come off the intake?

The instructions say release lock and remove but I’m pushing the locks down and can’t move it? Tried it always,

Any tips?

Very weary of removing the vacuum lines as there on small plastic nipples that will most likely snap....
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2018, 06:29 PM   #3
Andy198712
Major
Rep

So you push down on the tab and push the valve from the pipe nipples end, towards the plug end....

Took 10 hours with taking time and chatting......
I lost about an hr on that clip but both my EGR E8 bolts sneered the heads off....
Well one snapped right away and the other rounded (I used the correct socket) so welded on a nut and then it snapped.
I welded on a total of 8 nuts and they kept breaking away taking a little of the stud each time, there wasn’t enough for stud extractors either.
After this I drilled out both, ball ache but once I’d removed the rad fan it gave a lot more space and it’s only one bolt and one easy plug to pull the rad fan.

Anyway, runs fine....
Without the two snapped bolts and faffing on that valve I’d say 5 hours job for the first time doing it is good progress, next time it would be quicker for sure.

Meth will be coming
Appreciate 0