E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Changed Water Pump, Now Code 2E83 + Overheating

03-30-2017, 09:51 AM   #1
AJ@ECSMotorsports
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Changed Water Pump, Now Code 2E83 + Overheating

Hey guys

My 2nd water pump developed a crack, go figure...

Replaced it with a used pump this time, as I dont intend to keep this E92 335i much longer. Just passed 90K miles this weekend!

Anyhow, so before, was just losing coolant, filled it with water everyday since no need to waste coolant until its fixed.

Got the used pump yesterday, installed it. Drove to work this morning and it goes into overheating mode, every time! I did the bleed procedure, let it finish, and the pump seemed to run just fine and sounded solid I think.

I checked it with the JB4 real quick, and found 2e83 code for low power to coolant pump or something along those lines. I cleared it like the good boy that I am, and drove it for maybe 3 miles until it overheated yet again

I am stuck and not sure what the issue can be. It is topped off with coolant/water mix, and no low coolant light thus far.

Any help is much appreciated as always!

Thanks guys

Last edited by AJ@ECSMotorsports; 03-30-2017 at 11:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2017, 12:14 AM   #2
dfwbimmer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i cabriolet

Did you ever get this figured out?
09 E93 335i | Platinum Bronze | FBO AR Design RaceKittyDP: Stepped FMIC:ER CP: Turbosmart Kompact DVs | 4Bar| MMP Sil Inlets | Custom dual K&N Intake | NGK Iridium 5992 | BMS OCC | RB PCV | Fuel-It S2 LPFP | JB4G5: MHD S2 93, SPXXX E60 OMG Map | Alpina B3 | MFactory 3.46 LSD | 135locktop Dif. Lockdown | Koni FSD | Custom Exhaust: 2nd HiPerfKitty+ 2nd o2 relo+ xbrace+ race muffs+twin 4"TiTips | Custom Coding | Super Cool Wife
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 06:56 AM   #3
Pietroz4DXB
Registered
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: BMW E86 Z4 3.0si

How did you sorted? In my experience the presence of air pockets can be the reason of such reading. If you have the chance, check the compression of the cylinders or even better run a pressure leak test. Sometimes BMW engines suffer of a cracked head gasket and limited amount of gas is blowing into the coolant system, generating air pockets. Same as any small hairline crack is on the expansion tank. good luck
Appreciate 0