E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > tire pressure sensor module - 2011 328 X Drive

11-14-2019, 07:07 AM   #1
chriscpmtmp
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

tire pressure sensor module - 2011 328 X Drive

I had to replace the tire pressure sensor module on my 2011 328 X Drive.

I borrowed a used one that worked without programming. But I need to return that one.

The replacements all seem to need programming.

Is it reasonable to expect that if I load BMW tools, and use a K DCAN cable, this is doable? I’m pretty good at computers, but I haven’t done programming in the car before. I read the instructions on the tricks to load BMW tools on a win10 computer. I'm confident I can do that easily. This car has an ECU tune, So I don’t want to lose that.

Any tips, trick or hints would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 03:55 AM   #2
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscpmtmp View Post
I had to replace the tire pressure sensor module on my 2011 328 X Drive.

I borrowed a used one that worked without programming. But I need to return that one.

The replacements all seem to need programming.

Is it reasonable to expect that if I load BMW tools, and use a K DCAN cable, this is doable? I’m pretty good at computers, but I haven’t done programming in the car before. I read the instructions on the tricks to load BMW tools on a win10 computer. I'm confident I can do that easily. This car has an ECU tune, So I don’t want to lose that.

Any tips, trick or hints would be appreciated.
You can buy them preprogrammed. Apex, for one sells them and at quite a fair price. Then just reset your TPM from your BC Stalk and you're good.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 11:15 AM   #3
SG_E90
DaZuc
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone

Yes, it's 100% doable via BMW Standard Tools.

You may just have to learn the basics of writing vin to a module, and default coding it using NCS Expert.

If you're looking for someone who does it professionally I advise reaching out to Code My Euro, they offer the service remotely at a much better rate than most others.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 07:28 AM   #4
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3

Nothing in BMW standard tools has access to the TPMS sensors - you cannot program or code them that way. Obviously, there is no CANbus connection to them and there is no mechanism installed in the E90 chassis for bidirectional communication with them.

If they aren't active when you receive them either they are the wrong sensors or they need programming/activation with special equipment. If you weren't aware, the frequency at which TPMS sensor operate was changed around the time that LCI models were introduced so the sensors for earlier models will not work on later models and visa versa.

Perhaps the simplest way of dealing with this problem is to disable TPMS by unplugging the TPMS module and coding to restore the FTM system used in European E90 models. This uses the ABS to detect small changes in wheel rotational speed induced by changes in diameter that accompany air loss. You can easily implement with NCSExpert because the software is already built in. This is a popular option for folks like me who have different sets of wheels for different purposes (i.e. warm weather, cold weather, tracking etc).

Last edited by dpaul; 11-17-2019 at 07:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 04:33 AM   #5
chriscpmtmp
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewater328 View Post
You can buy them preprogrammed. Apex, for one sells them and at quite a fair price. Then just reset your TPM from your BC Stalk and you're good.
What is apex? I googled and see a place that sell wheels.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 04:39 AM   #6
chriscpmtmp
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpaul View Post
Nothing in BMW standard tools has access to the TPMS sensors - you cannot program or code them that way. Obviously, there is no CANbus connection to them and there is no mechanism installed in the E90 chassis for bidirectional communication with them.

If they aren't active when you receive them either they are the wrong sensors or they need programming/activation with special equipment. If you weren't aware, the frequency at which TPMS sensor operate was changed around the time that LCI models were introduced so the sensors for earlier models will not work on later models and visa versa.

Perhaps the simplest way of dealing with this problem is to disable TPMS by unplugging the TPMS module and coding to restore the FTM system used in European E90 models. This uses the ABS to detect small changes in wheel rotational speed induced by changes in diameter that accompany air loss. You can easily implement with NCSExpert because the software is already built in. This is a popular option for folks like me who have different sets of wheels for different purposes (i.e. warm weather, cold weather, tracking etc).
Interesting.

The sensor is the exact same model number. I do have 2 sets of wheels for this one (and my other e90 too). Switching wheels was never a problem.

I figured I'd learn a bit about programming these things instead of just the spend $$ method. It seems like it is way to complicated though.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 10:08 AM   #7
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscpmtmp View Post
Quote:
What is apex? I googled and see a place that sell wheels.
https://www.apexraceparts.com/access...nd-valves.html
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 07:43 AM   #8
chriscpmtmp
Private
Rep

Quote:
I'm using the wrong word then. I'm talking about the piece on the car that reads the sensor on the tires. It needs programming.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 07:46 AM   #9
chriscpmtmp
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG_E90 View Post
Yes, it's 100% doable via BMW Standard Tools.

You may just have to learn the basics of writing vin to a module, and default coding it using NCS Expert.

If you're looking for someone who does it professionally I advise reaching out to Code My Euro, they offer the service remotely at a much better rate than most others.
I took a couple shots at installing Standard tools. The files are huge. I gave up, but might try one more time. I'd like to have these going since I have two e90s.

Can you elaborate on the writing the vin process a bit?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 09:44 AM   #10
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...ontrol/XfD8NFD

From
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/

It can't be that difficult to install a new sensor or tire shops could never
stay in business. Assuming the system is working.

Standard Tools is not that big
Ista D is about 20 to 50 gig
both are well worth having.
If you don't have a fast Internet download it will take
a long time to download even though ista D is compressed.
I think it took me three day when I had a 25 meg connection
now I have 300 gig so less than an hour and that was for ista D
compressed.

If you have a Juice Box you need to put it in map zero before programming
this bypasses the interference between the tune and diagnostics and makes it look like a non modified car.
some of the other tunes have a similar function. Others with MHD claim it
doesn't interfere.
consult your tune manufacturer to see what's up.
I don't think 328 tunes interfere but I really don't know.

http://blog.obd2shop.co.uk/bmw-e9x-r...d-d-can-cable/

You shouldn't need to rewrite Vin's according to the above.

Last edited by ctuna; 11-27-2019 at 10:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 10:36 AM   #11
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...ontrol/XfD8NFD

From
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/

It can't be that difficult to install a new sensor or tire shops could never
stay in business. Assuming the system is working.

Standard Tools is not that big
Ista D is about 20 to 50 gig
both are well worth having.
If you don't have a fast Internet download it will take
a long time to download even though ista D is compressed.
I think it took me three day when I had a 25 meg connection
now I have 300 gig so less than an hour and that was for ista D
compressed.

If you have a Juice Box you need to put it in map zero before programming
this bypasses the interference between the tune and diagnostics and makes it look like a non modified car.
some of the other tunes have a similar function. Others with MHD claim it
doesn't interfere.
consult your tune manufacturer to see what's up.
I don't think 328 tunes interfere but I really don't know.

http://blog.obd2shop.co.uk/bmw-e9x-r...d-d-can-cable/
It's easy as pie to install a new sensor. But it has to be activated by the manufacturer or by the use of specialized equipment. ISTA or INPA cannot do that.

Of course, the system needs to be initialized once tire pressures are set. But that is performed in the car without the need for INPA or ISTA

EDIT: Also, MHD does not interfere with any use of INPA or ISTA. Only "piggyback" module tunes like the JB4 will interfere.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 11:07 AM   #12
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

what do the tire shops have to get new sensors to work.
somehow this has to be simpler than you have to have special
equipment.
How can Tire Rack sell you new sensors to they activate before
shipping.

Also the OP is talking about the receiver for the signals.

guess you are right.

Last edited by ctuna; 11-27-2019 at 12:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 04:38 PM   #13
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Not sure what you're asking

The receiver doesn't need additional programming - it's already coded and in any case, the only choices are EU vs US

Last edited by dpaul; 11-27-2019 at 04:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 05:22 PM   #14
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

Not asking but verified the coding the sensors aspect.

As mentioned in the videos there can be programming for
the modules or they can self pair after driving.

The question is there any programming needed for the receiver
module that the OP says doesn't work when he swaps in a new
one yet did work when he swapped one in from another car.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 08:35 PM   #15
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Just went back to the first post - I guess that I misread it although at this point, I'm not sure what he actually meant.

The OP wrote that he replaced the tire pressure sensor MODULE (the RDC module inside the car) but I only read tire pressure SENSOR (the things inside the wheels). Some how my brain finessed the module part.

Yes, if you replace the module (the part in the car), you need to issue an SG_RESET from NCSExpert for the new module to be recognized.

So maybe we are talking about different things?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 10:18 AM   #16
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

I think he is talking about the radio receiver for the tire sensor signals
that is underneath the car?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 11:47 AM   #17
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

In the OPs vehicle (if it really is a MY 2011 335d), there are only 5 parts to the whole system - the four sensors that are inside the four wheels and the module containing electronics, which BMW calls "control unit" and is recognized by standard tools software as RDCLC. The control unit has an antenna inside it. It receives signals from the sensors, processes them, and interfaces to the rest of the car via CANBUS.

The control unit can be in various locations but in the OPs vehicle is probably mounted on the frame rail between the rear differential and the muffler i.e. under the car, exposed to the elements.

This arrangement is quite different than the system on earlier cars which has a control unit inside the car near the rear passenger-side wheel well, 4 separate "transmitters" (one at each wheel well) inside the plastic liner and 4 sensors (one inside each wheel).
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 12:09 PM   #18
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

If he had one that works that he swapped in and the new ones he
buys don't work don't work does that mean that as you suggested the
sg reset will cause it to read the module?

1)Should the module need any programming at all or a sg reset?
2)Is the module he is buying the same as the ones he has been
swapping.
3)Where if anywhere is the ID for the wheel sensor stored.
In the receiver module or elsewhere.

According to the tis if a tire sensor is replaced it looks like all you have to do
is drive the car to get it to pair.

Last edited by ctuna; 11-28-2019 at 12:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 02:41 PM   #19
sdbmwcoding
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Sounds like OP installed the RDC module, not the sensors. Yes that needs programming, I'm surprised your used one worked without programming. Assuming all your sensors are ok, you'll need to run SG_RESET on the tpms module in ncs expert.

OP install standard tools from bimmergeeks.net/downloads and install datens for e89. Its a very easy quick install. Go into programs and uninstall the current version of standard tools you have so it does not interfere with the new install.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 04:36 PM   #20
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd********* View Post
Sounds like OP installed the RDC module, not the sensors. Yes that needs programming, I'm surprised your used one worked without programming. Assuming all your sensors are ok, you'll need to run SG_RESET on the tpms module in ncs expert.

OP install standard tools from bimmergeeks.net/downloads and install datens for e89. Its a very easy quick install. Go into programs and uninstall the current version of standard tools you have so it does not interfere with the new install.
+1
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 09:29 AM   #21
chriscpmtmp
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpaul View Post
In the OPs vehicle (if it really is a MY 2011 335d), there are only 5 parts to the whole system - the four sensors that are inside the four wheels and the module containing electronics, which BMW calls "control unit" and is recognized by standard tools software as RDCLC. The control unit has an antenna inside it. It receives signals from the sensors, processes them, and interfaces to the rest of the car via CANBUS.

The control unit can be in various locations but in the OPs vehicle is probably mounted on the frame rail between the rear differential and the muffler i.e. under the car, exposed to the elements.

This arrangement is quite different than the system on earlier cars which has a control unit inside the car near the rear passenger-side wheel well, 4 separate "transmitters" (one at each wheel well) inside the plastic liner and 4 sensors (one inside each wheel).
This sounds right. I have two e90s. A 335d and a 328 Xdrive. Both 2011. I'm workind on the xdrive. They are overall similar, but some things are different. This descriptions sounds like it is the same for the 328.

Technically the 328 is now my buddy's car. I ran it for 4 years, then sold it to him. Almost immediately after the sale it had an issue. On the bad module, it messes up the whole bus. You start with a TPS error, then you get an ABS error, then you get a warning to stop driving the car. The whole dash flashes.

The used one I borrowed fixes everything. I would have just paid for that one, but the person I borrowed it from wanted it back. He seems to know about this stuff, and said it didn't need programming. After swapping in 3 other modules, it sure needs programming. I left the last one in the car. It gives an error, but not the really bad stuff.

I've swapped this thing 8 or so times. I'm confident I can beat anyone's time at this point. Like 2 minutes to get it out. After taking of the wheel, you really only need to take off a couple of the screws on the splash gaurd, then bend it a bit to get access.

My instant notifications for this post are not working. Spam or something. So I check and there is nothing new. Then I forget, then go back and there are a bunch of posts. I appreciate the discussion for sure! I'm listening to it all.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 09:34 AM   #22
chriscpmtmp
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd********* View Post

This is just what I'm after. My original try on the install got stuck when I didn't have the dadaens. I have that now. The second try failed when I tried to install to a partition other than C. The folders got mixed up.

I think I'm goind to try using backup computer and just go to C again. Then I think I can just point to the dataens on D. I like to keep C clean so I can make an image of the OS that has a reasonable size.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0