E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Went in for alignment today - does this look ok?

02-12-2020, 07:11 AM   #23
JunkyardDogg
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335is E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnks2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkyardDogg View Post
265/30 to 255/30

I noticed today the left tire pokes out a bit more than the right. I'm gonna take it to a shop that knows what they're doing and get a proper alignment. If it still rubs I'll have to do some fender work.
GL with it. I wouldn't blame the alignment though. On paper it looked fine. First step would be to figure out where it is rubbing.
When I took it back to the shop and they re adjusted it back to the way it was, I got a printout of the before and after. The before was not the same as the after from the original alignment. Is it normal for alignment to change after driving briefly or their machine sensors are messed up? Seems off
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 07:12 AM   #24
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
When I took it back to the shop and they re adjusted it back to the way it was, I got a printout of the before and after. The before was not the same as the after from the original alignment. Is it normal for alignment to change after driving briefly or their machine sensors are messed up? Seems off
post up the sheet. small changes are normal. Big changes would indicate something is loose like bad balljoint, bushings, or they didn't lock the eccentrics in place.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 07:48 AM   #25
JunkyardDogg
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
post up the sheet. small changes are normal. Big changes would indicate something is loose like bad balljoint, bushings, or they didn't lock the eccentrics in place.
Original and follow up
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 08:22 AM   #26
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Original and follow up
looks completely normal... alignment didn't change much at all. values will always float around by a bit... Nothing changed dramatically. Could be the difference between getting aligned the first time at 1/4 tank of gas and then when you rolled in the second time you had 3/4 tank of gas...

You asked them to literally set your alignment back to a really poor setting that is going to eat tires just because you're rubbing? That was a mistake. That rear right toe is way out.

Figure out where it's rubbing.

Last edited by bbnks2; 02-12-2020 at 08:35 AM..
Appreciate 1
      02-12-2020, 08:45 AM   #27
JunkyardDogg
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Original and follow up
looks completely normal... alignment didn't change much at all. values will always float around by a bit... Nothing changed dramatically. Could be the difference between getting aligned the first time at 1/4 tank of gas and then when you rolled in the second time you had 3/4 tank of gas...

You asked them to literally set your alignment back to a really poor setting that is going to eat tires just because you're rubbing? That was a mistake. That rear right toe is way out.

Figure out where it's rubbing.
They pretty much shrugged their shoulders in regards to the rubbing and this was their proposed solution. I didn't wanna keep rubbing and I'm taking my car to another shop tomorrow so a day of driving isn't gonna do much damage. Hopefully they'll be able to align it and address the rubbing as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 11:50 AM   #28
JunkyardDogg
Captain
Rep

Well looks like I'm back to where I was and it still rubs. I think Michelin's are more square of a profile. Gonna need to roll fenders now.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
bbnks21206.50
      02-28-2020, 11:13 PM   #29
Soravia
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91 Silver xDrive 6MT

You should check other things like control arm bushings if only one is rubbing. They are probably giving out more than they should. At 100k miles etc they have used up their lives, especially in city driven cars
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 03:34 PM   #30
JunkyardDogg
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soravia View Post
You should check other things like control arm bushings if only one is rubbing. They are probably giving out more than they should. At 100k miles etc they have used up their lives, especially in city driven cars
I'm pretty sure now that its rubbing on the plastic fender liners. It's happening less often now so maybe it wore off a bit. I've decided to live with it for now.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 05:24 PM   #31
Soravia
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91 Silver xDrive 6MT

You can take a heat gun to liner and push it in a bit to clear so you don't have a hole
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 05:43 PM   #32
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
\The problem with all spacers though is that they alter the position of the contact patch (between the tyre and the road) relative to the king pin axis.
*yawn*

Yet most upgrade to wider wheels with lower offsets, which essentially does the same exact thing, but no one says a peep about king pin axis, scrub radius, or anything of the sort...because at the end of the day they're not chasing 1/10ths of a second on a race track; these are street cars and it doesn't make an appreciable difference either way.

OP is this car new to you or something? Do you not know much about it? Rubbing in the rear with no other change is likely due to worn components...mostly crappy stock struts.

You still on OEM suspension or nah?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 07:12 PM   #33
JunkyardDogg
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
*yawn*

Yet most upgrade to wider wheels with lower offsets, which essentially does the same exact thing, but no one says a peep about king pin axis, scrub radius, or anything of the sort...because at the end of the day they're not chasing 1/10ths of a second on a race track; these are street cars and it doesn't make an appreciable difference either way.

OP is this car new to you or something? Do you not know much about it? Rubbing in the rear with no other change is likely due to worn components...mostly crappy stock struts.

You still on OEM suspension or nah?
I highly doubt it. I'm on a very mild prokit drop with the oem m-sport shocks. In fact the rear barely had any change in ride height. And for the rubbing to start immediately after switching tires points to the tires. It's the fender lining.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 07:12 PM   #34
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
*yawn*
*whatever*

Do what you like.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 01:04 PM   #35
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
I highly doubt it. I'm on a very mild prokit drop with the oem m-sport shocks. In fact the rear barely had any change in ride height. And for the rubbing to start immediately after switching tires points to the tires. It's the fender lining.
Yeah, factory shocks are crap on even stock springs...even worse with lowering springs that have the same spring rate as stock.

Change out your shocks. I went from rubbing on 10mm spacers on stock shocks to zero rub on 20mm spacers after swapping to Bilsteins, all else being equal.

An underdamped crummy suspension has the tendency to do that.
Appreciate 0