E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Carbon Fiber Performance Diffuser on E90 Msport

03-09-2020, 04:26 PM   #1
WatchWolf34
Because Racecar
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i 6MT

Carbon Fiber Performance Diffuser on E90 Msport

Installed a performance style carbon fiber diffuser on my MSport rear bumper.

Not going to lie - the quality and fitment of this product was absolute trash. It legitimately feels like it was a test mold. Especially considering that instead of molded tabs that would fit into the factory mounting spot in the middle, they just have a couple of thin, Popsicle stick-sized, pieces of aluminum that I needed to bend down to work. Moreover, there were only two of them despite being 4 other spots that tabs could have been added for a more secure fitment (even after the required trimming).

There were no mounting holes drilled on the bottom for the trim bolts but that's not a huge deal. More importantly, the molding in those areas seemed unfinished and the product on their website shows pre-drilled holes.

I've never once received a decent product from Mod Bargains and I am done trying at this point.

Honestly, I'm at a point where I am just "okay" with the finished result. It looks pretty good from 5 ft away. However, the flaws are obvious from anywhere closer than that. I like it enough to leave it for now until my perfectionism gets the best of me. However, I'd prefer to try my luck with an eBay product before ever going to Mod Bargains again.

I realize carbon fiber rarely fits perfectly but this product took a lot of work just to make it look semi decent. In comparison, my Seibon Carbon front lip fit beautifully without any modification needed.

Attachment 2256281

Lastly, a bit more evidence that I was sent an unfinished product...

Attachment 2256287

The areas with long, red boxes were supposed to be part of the carbon fiber molding as well - at least according to the image on their website of the part. However, what I was sent was two plastic inserts with a carbon fiber finish on the front that seemingly need to be added with double sided 3M tape. Of course, there is no mention of that anywhere and no double sided tape was included. But, what's really bad is that the inserts do not even fit the cutout so my only option was to leave them off - they would not have sat flush for the tape to do it's job. Luckily for me, my car's BSM paint blends very well with the coating so it doesn't look out of place.

The small red boxes are the places where the factory panel mounts to the rear bumper with small tabs. There is no reason that this product shouldn't have tabs in the same place. As it sits this way without the tabs there is a small gap that you can see when standing next to the rear end.

For $400, this product should be WAY better.
      03-09-2020, 05:04 PM   #2
Soravia
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91 Silver xDrive 6MT

For $400, it's going to look like crap soon. Most CF do. surface cracks from rocks, discolor from heat, etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 05:16 PM   #3
WatchWolf34
Because Racecar
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soravia View Post
For $400, it's going to look like crap soon. Most CF do. surface cracks from rocks, discolor from heat, etc.
Oh cool. That's makes it all good then
      03-09-2020, 05:21 PM   #4
Soravia
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchWolf34 View Post
Just pawn it off to someone else unsuspecting.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 05:54 PM   #5
WatchWolf34
Because Racecar
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soravia View Post
Quote:
Just pawn it off to someone else unsuspecting.
Lol that would be cold
      03-09-2020, 08:50 PM   #6
Soravia
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Lol that would be cold
Ppl have to learn. Someone I know bought quality CF hood, gets rock chip cracks that have to be repaired with someone who knows CF. That would have been paint chips on the OE Evo X aluminum hood.
Appreciate 0