E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > How many ground straps in the car?

09-24-2020, 08:16 AM   #1
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 "325i"

How many ground straps in the car?

How many ground straps are in the car? One in the engine bay, possibly 2 underneath. And I found one under rear passenger wheelwell that was severely corroded, probably in the worst condition out of all of them.

Are they all the same part number? I'll probably be replacing 3 out of 4.

Am I missing any?
https://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...ound_Strap.htm
Koni special active red, eibach pro-kit springs, Remus exhaust, stage 3 intake manifold,Stage 2 AA tune, BMW Short shift kit. Silicon intake pipe. M3 control arms front, M3 rear. ECS trailing arm with whiteline bushings. Purple powerflex subframe bushings. Yellow power flex upper shock mounts. Single mass flywheel OE weight.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 03:12 PM   #2
AoS810
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 N51, 2011 E91 N52

I've only seen two, 1 close to the exhaust manifold, and 1 by the driver side engine mount.

Where is the other one underneath the car? I wasn't aware of one by the rear passenger wheelwell.
Appreciate 1
donut_boi997.50
      09-24-2020, 09:13 PM   #3
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AoS810 View Post
I've only seen two, 1 close to the exhaust manifold, and 1 by the driver side engine mount.

Where is the other one underneath the car? I wasn't aware of one by the rear passenger wheelwell.
There's supposedly one further down near the exhaust but I don't know all the models have it, haven't seen it on mine. And there's one passenger rear underneath the lining. You'll have to take the wheel off. Mine was becoming severely oxidized and this was 2 years ago. Probably should of done it then.

Do you remember how long the one by the drivers side engine mount is? Do you think a 15" aftermarket one would work or a 20"+?
Koni special active red, eibach pro-kit springs, Remus exhaust, stage 3 intake manifold,Stage 2 AA tune, BMW Short shift kit. Silicon intake pipe. M3 control arms front, M3 rear. ECS trailing arm with whiteline bushings. Purple powerflex subframe bushings. Yellow power flex upper shock mounts. Single mass flywheel OE weight.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 11:00 PM   #4
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I actually can't find any picture or mention of passenger rear ground strap that is in the wheel well.

I know it's there though. I saw it with my own two eyes. Looked more corroded then the drives side engine one.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 06:58 PM   #5
AoS810
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 N51, 2011 E91 N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerxq View Post
Do you remember how long the one by the drivers side engine mount is? Do you think a 15" aftermarket one would work or a 20"+?
I actually replaced the one by the engine mount with this and it worked perfectly. I believe I got the 1ft 5/16" ring terminal. I just did an oil change and had a chance to check the ground strap and it was still in like new condition (i.e. the copper was not oxidized, still a nice shiny copper although I am in SoCal so ymmv), and the rubber wrap showed no signs of wear and does not rub against the frame at all. I'm not sure if 0 gauge is necessary but I'm an idiot and enjoy overkill.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...OHXF24LJ&psc=1
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 03:56 PM   #6
6Inarowmakesitgo!
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

I added one for the coil packs. So there is one for front three and one for the rear three. Then the large one on the drivers engine mount to frame. This one is very important.
      09-26-2020, 10:37 PM   #7
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6Inarowmakesitgo! View Post
I added one for the coil packs. So there is one for front three and one for the rear three. Then the large one on the drivers engine mount to frame. This one is very important.
The coil pack one is the one behind the coolant reservoir?
Rear 3? Where are the locations?

Last edited by gunnerxq; 09-26-2020 at 10:45 PM..
Appreciate 0