E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > e92 Suspension Knock / Clunk Nightmare

09-20-2020, 06:10 AM   #1
KD_e92
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 330d

Question e92 Suspension Knock / Clunk Nightmare

Hi guys, was wondering if anyone would be able to point me in the right direction.

My 2008 e92 330d has a soft / muted knock that you can feel through the steering wheel (and hear clunking) when going over smaller bumps at low speeds (right side). It isn't there when going over speed bumps head on- it's most noticeable over one of my local potholes where the car is turning left / leaning right - placing weight on the drivers side front wheel. What made me start investigating was a pretty loud, almost metal to metal knocking when pulling up to a roundabout over a washboard surface while braking and turning left at the same time. Figured there was a bushing going, but changing below parts did not resolve it. There is also a slight vibration coming from that same wheel at higher speeds and when braking.

At this stage, I have already replaced (Both sides):

Lemforder Drop Links
TRW Upper Control Arm (With Bushings)
TRW Lower Control Arm (With Bushings)

The anti roll bar bushings look and feel pretty solid.

Is there anything else that could be causing this? I know the shaking wheel either needs balancing or the brake disk replacing, but it's a lower priority over the knocking for me right now - it's driving me nuts. I'm running out of options, and money buying suspension parts that don't need changing yet!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 02:23 AM   #2
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Things it could be:

Rack
Tie rods
Tie rod ends
Steering column
Struts
Something loose

I recently had something that seems similar from your description, which ended up being an under-torqued arb drop link. I'd definitely check the work you've already done.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 01:49 AM   #3
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

i changed my drop links/control arms and radius arms,,clonk and rattle gone,,few months later it was back,,so i left it,,got worse,,then mot came riund,,drop link was shot,,so after 6 months the drop link was goosed,,was febi from autodoc..so check them again
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 05:29 PM   #4
therealdb1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Graphite E93 335i

If the vibration is coming from the same corner I would get that sorted and you might be lucky enough to sort the knock also.

I've had warped discs in the past that have tapped the pads in the caliper when that wheel is under load which could be interpreted as knocking as the caliper is pushed back on the sliding bolts.

The other thing you haven't mentioned is the wheel bearing. Jack the wheel and see if there is any play in that.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 07:30 AM   #5
KD_e92
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
Things it could be:

Rack
Tie rods
Tie rod ends
Steering column
Struts
Something loose

I recently had something that seems similar from your description, which ended up being an under-torqued arb drop link. I'd definitely check the work you've already done.

Thanks for a reply, wasn't expecting to get a response at this stage!

I've went over all the parts replaced, and found nothing still.
Gave up, brought it to a local garage who spent a while tinkering around, found a bushing in the rear going, but nothing in the front (they even said that anything that would typically make noise has been replaced already). It has gotten worse now too, since all the other front components are stiffer I believe. The shop recommended replacing the shocks as the next step, but admitted that they couldn't "feel" anything wrong with them - just a trial and error approach. Reluctant to do this right now as it's a lot of money for something that is a shot in the dark.

Have another appointment this weekend at a different garage, and have bought front anti roll bar bushes too, just in case - as the sound seems to come from underneath the car.

Will post an update once the ARB bushes are changed.

Last edited by KD_e92; 09-24-2020 at 07:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 07:37 AM   #6
KD_e92
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasa bmw View Post
i changed my drop links/control arms and radius arms,,clonk and rattle gone,,few months later it was back,,so i left it,,got worse,,then mot came riund,,drop link was shot,,so after 6 months the drop link was goosed,,was febi from autodoc..so check them again
I'll have another look at the drop links, but I would like to think it's highly unlikely that a new lemforder drop link would be faulty on the same side that an old one was worn (also worth mentioning, the lemforder ones that I removed felt OK too, definitely had another year or two in them).

Appreciate the response though!

Ironically, the control arms came from autodoc too, will try and give them a good stretch to see they're not faulty.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 07:48 AM   #7
KD_e92
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealdb1 View Post
If the vibration is coming from the same corner I would get that sorted and you might be lucky enough to sort the knock also.

I've had warped discs in the past that have tapped the pads in the caliper when that wheel is under load which could be interpreted as knocking as the caliper is pushed back on the sliding bolts.

The other thing you haven't mentioned is the wheel bearing. Jack the wheel and see if there is any play in that.
That's an interesting thought! The disc may be warped, but it's a tricky one as the vibration is intermittent. As in, sometimes there is a noticeable vibration, but more often than not, it brakes smoothly with no vibration depending on angle the car is coming to a stop. I've had warped discs before that literally jerked the steering wheel every time I touched the brake pedal, but it was much more consistent. I'll shop around and see if I can get my hands on a set of discs that won't break the bank - the previous owner bought a full set of OEM callipers and disks from BMW 3ish years ago so it pains to change them so soon.

The wheel bearing is fine (it's silent and there's no movement in the wheel). At this stage I suspect anti roll bar bushes, or something to do with how the shock is fixed. The noise is most noticeable when going over uneven surfaces at low speed that pulls the wheel side to side from underneath - which pointed to the control arms.

I have it on video, so will be posting it to YouTube sometime this week. Its definitely not something you can ignore - it's astonishing the garage couldn't find anything. I'm bringing it to another one this weekend - trying my luck. Will keep you updated on any progress!

Thanks for your input!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 10:19 AM   #8
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Could even be top mounts, I guess...

Good luck, keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 01:49 PM   #9
Chappers 71
Major General
Rep
Drives: Beige G31 40ix m sport

Garage List
Quote:

Yeah it was front top mounts causing my 'clunk' but mine only did it at low speed whilst parking or putting it in the garage.
E34 3.6 M5. E34 525i sport.
VW Jetta Mk2 GTI 16v. 1679cc 1967 resto-cal beetle
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 02:25 AM   #10
KD_e92
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Update.

Replaced:

Front Shocks (Sachs)
Front Top Mounts (Sachs)
Front Springs (Eibach)

Old shocks were completely done, and had some play in one of the top mounts. Was feeling really optimistic before the test drive. Part of the process was removing droplinks and all arms - everything was tight, and I took extra care to double check all connections here on reassembly.

Noise is still there. Good news is, as I was playing around I was able to replicate the sound. With the engine off (wheels on the ground), if I turn the steering wheel to the right, there's some slack (approx 1.5-2cm) until it starts moving the wheels. Once there's 'bite', I get a slight knock. If I hit it with some force, I get the same clunk as I do going over bumps. There's also slack in the other direction, but there's less noise. Once the engine is on, or when the car is lifted, I can't replicate the sound, so it's in the resistance between the steering wheel and the wheels. It's pointing to somewhere in the steering system.

Has anyone experienced this previously? Any pointers to where to check first, as I have 0 experience with the steering rack.

Any input would be great!
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 03:11 AM   #11
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Yes. There's an etorx bolt on the steering column, next to the engine which can work loose. There are a few threads on it. It's also possible that your steering column (or part of it) needs to be replaced - especially if it's the splined version. Try adjusting the steering wheel position, too - fully in (away from you), and see if the knock still exists.
Appreciate 1
KD_e9211.50
      10-06-2020, 12:32 PM   #12
KD_e92
United Kingdom
Rep

So, had another poke around the engine bay today.
Was hoping that the resolution posted here: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...=256125&page=2
would be an easy fix, but it appears I have a different steering joint assy than OP, or am I missing something?

The U joint, circled in green has no play at all. See recording below.

The knocking (and loose steering feel) seems to come from lower. Although, even in the 'free play' area, the steering wheel seems to be moving the wheels. I'll try and get under the car this weekend (again!) to tighten the bolts holding the steering box to the frame in case they're loose.

Looking at worst case scenario, can someone tell me if there's a fool proof way to check what sort of steering system I have? (Hydro / Active / Electric / CO2 Package etc?). RealOEM just lists out all the possible options.

The nightmare continues
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 01:40 PM   #13
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

There's a u joint at the other end of that shaft too, buried up near the firewall. I can't remember if you need to remove the cabin filter tray etc to get to it.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 12:08 PM   #14
Chappers 71
Major General
Rep
Drives: Beige G31 40ix m sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KD_e92 View Post
So, had another poke around the engine bay today.
Was hoping that the resolution posted here: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...=256125&page=2
would be an easy fix, but it appears I have a different steering joint assy than OP, or am I missing something?

The U joint, circled in green has no play at all. See recording below.

The knocking (and loose steering feel) seems to come from lower. Although, even in the 'free play' area, the steering wheel seems to be moving the wheels. I'll try and get under the car this weekend (again!) to tighten the bolts holding the steering box to the frame in case they're loose.

Looking at worst case scenario, can someone tell me if there's a fool proof way to check what sort of steering system I have? (Hydro / Active / Electric / CO2 Package etc?). RealOEM just lists out all the possible options.

The nightmare continues

Our steering joints may well be different, OP's post on the thread U attached would be lhd as those Colonials drive on the wrong side of the road
E34 3.6 M5. E34 525i sport.
VW Jetta Mk2 GTI 16v. 1679cc 1967 resto-cal beetle

Last edited by Chappers 71; 10-07-2020 at 03:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 03:24 PM   #15
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Forgot to add - yes, your steering shaft is different; it's got that bellows section instead of being telescopic...one less thing to go wrong! However the bolt referred to in that guide is the same.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 12:37 PM   #16
KD_e92
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
There's a u joint at the other end of that shaft too, buried up near the firewall. I can't remember if you need to remove the cabin filter tray etc to get to it.
Thanks for your reply!

My adventure.. continues.
I removed the cabin filter and got to the top bolt also. Went over both of them with a torque wrench and got about a quarter turn in both. No change to the symptoms.

I gave the scientific method of wiggling a try, and was surprised by how much play there was somewhere near the steering column. As you can see in the video, the connection between the intermediate shaft and the steering column seems solid, the play looks like its coming from the steering column itself. What baffles me still is that the steering is super sharp, yet it feels like the whole front end is clunking / rattling over uneven surfaces.

Would this much movement be considered normal (to absorb vibrations etc), or have I found my culprit?

(Image attached points to what the video is looking at)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 03:38 PM   #17
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Do you have your steering wheel adjusted all the way out (closer to the driver)? If so, try adjusting it all the way in (away from the driver) and see how the clunk is then.

The coarse spline in your pic above, near the steering column, is what accommodates the steering wheel adjustment. If there's slack between those splines and the mating part of the steering column, it allows the upper UJ to flop around and causes slack in the steering. Mine does it a little, but not enough to fuss about...yet. By adjusting the steering wheel all the way in, you increase the overlap at that spline, and therefore decrease the slack in the system.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 02:26 AM   #18
KD_e92
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Do you have your steering wheel adjusted all the way out (closer to the driver)? If so, try adjusting it all the way in (away from the driver) and see how the clunk is then.

The coarse spline in your pic above, near the steering column, is what accommodates the steering wheel adjustment. If there's slack between those splines and the mating part of the steering column, it allows the upper UJ to flop around and causes slack in the steering. Mine does it a little, but not enough to fuss about...yet. By adjusting the steering wheel all the way in, you increase the overlap at that spline, and therefore decrease the slack in the system.

I've been driving around with the steering wheel all the way out for years now! Gave this a try and pushed it all the way in. Might be placebo, but it seems that the noise is muted, and doesn't happen as often now. Will play around with adjusting it in the coming week and see if that definitely confirms the steering column / coarse spline having slack. Have you by any chance seen a DIY for column removal? There's sources for steering wheel, and power steering box removals but can't seem to find anything for the steering column itself. Would kind of want to tackle it myself if it's not too much of a PITA as I fully expect all of my local garages to ruin my interior trim in the process.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 06:49 AM   #19
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Not seen one, sorry.

Do let us know how it goes, if you do it!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2020, 05:37 AM   #20
fatty5000
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 330D

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD_e92 View Post
I've been driving around with the steering wheel all the way out for years now! Gave this a try and pushed it all the way in. Might be placebo, but it seems that the noise is muted, and doesn't happen as often now. Will play around with adjusting it in the coming week and see if that definitely confirms the steering column / coarse spline having slack. Have you by any chance seen a DIY for column removal? There's sources for steering wheel, and power steering box removals but can't seem to find anything for the steering column itself. Would kind of want to tackle it myself if it's not too much of a PITA as I fully expect all of my local garages to ruin my interior trim in the process.
I reckon mine suffers with this. Muted a bit with the column pushed down, my problem is when the steering wheels down there its not the most comfortable position due to my long legs. I doubt I'll ever be brave enough to strip the column
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 06:53 AM   #21
KD_e92
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatty5000 View Post
I reckon mine suffers with this. Muted a bit with the column pushed down, my problem is when the steering wheels down there its not the most comfortable position due to my long legs. I doubt I'll ever be brave enough to strip the column
Yeah I don't like having the steering wheel all the way in / down in the coupe.

By way of update, I've ordered a used column, was meant to undertake the job this weekend but it looks like it won't get to me in time. Will take it on next week though - will keep you updated!

Here's a DIY which is the only reason I'm considering doing this myself - does not look as complicated as I expected (famous last words - I know).

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=483387

Having replaced EVERYTHING in my front suspension, really hoping this solves it as I'm running out of patience...
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 07:25 AM   #22
fatty5000
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 330D

I've done all mine in march except for the roll bar bushes which I forgot at the time. I have them sat in the boot ready for my man to fit a week Wednesday.

The bushes are noisy as hell in the morning at the moment which in my experience means their knackered. Hopefully that will help!

Yeah keep us posted on the column 👍
Appreciate 0