E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Project 335 Stealth has started

10-05-2007, 08:59 AM   #23
Dr_Dirt
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i 6AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilyB View Post
While you ar right about State PDs, many speed traps are manned by local LEOs, with simple radar speed guns (it provides a significant percentage of the local municipalities’ revenues!)

About lasers, black, preferably matt black, is the worst reflector. On a dark car, LEOs are trained to target the license plates, and if you do not have a license plate, or have a non reflective cover on it, they try to get the headlights. On the 335, the headlights are very tiny.

Reducing the RCS, or rather in that case - your laser reflectivity - enhances your counter-measures.

There are many available – and legal – laser scramblers. The less light your car reflects, the better the scrambler scrambles!

If you have a good working relationship with NY State Police, I might be interested in testing my project against their equipment?
Dark Blues (monaco blue) are also poor reflectors of light.
I actually got a chance to use a police laser gun, and the dark blue and black cars were virtually invisble to the laser gun.
Like you said, I had to aim for the license plate-- very tedious.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2007, 01:10 PM   #24
hov333
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5

subscribed for sure!
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2007, 02:28 PM   #25
Shazmonkee
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Dirt View Post
Dark Blues (monaco blue) are also poor reflectors of light.
I actually got a chance to use a police laser gun, and the dark blue and black cars were virtually invisble to the laser gun.
Like you said, I had to aim for the license plate-- very tedious.
what if the license plate was really really dirty?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2007, 02:58 PM   #26
wesley_willis
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

or what if your state doesnt require license plate (with monaco)? im sure you can still get a reading from the headlights..
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2007, 03:02 PM   #27
Dr_Dirt
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazmonkee View Post
what if the license plate was really really dirty?
You would probably need some kind of IR diffuser over a license plate. Of course the darker the plate the better...
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2007, 06:10 PM   #28
WilyB
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335

Garage List
It has been a long day in Zurich, and a fun evening, so I will post a short answer about license plates.

My angle is purely theoretical. I am not a lawyer and I do not know which solution is legal, or not, in whichever jurisdiction you might be. I advise the readers to inquire in their own countries, states, counties etc. about what is legally doable or not.

There are several ways to reduce the front license plate “signature” (RCS and laser return).

1. Do not mount a license plate.

2. If you are not legally obliged to sport a license plate, do not mount a fake metal plate with the logo of your favorite car manufacturer or your favorite team.

3. If you have to have a license plate:

a. Dip in the mud, bake it in the oven, and mount it back on your car.

b. Cover it with commercially available “anti-laser” coating. (I have not yet tried that product, so I have no opinion whatsoever about its performance. )

c. Cover it with the “Tool booth violator” plate. (Again, I have no clue whether it works or not, but I am sure the LOE will recognize it for what it is and treat you as a toll scoundrel! )

d. Get from the DMW the darkest possible plate available. I’ve seen some pretty dark colored ones from some states. Coat it while new with a coat of matt clear varnish.

e. Get from the many vendors on the internet a plastic 3D license plate replica, with a license plate sized chunk of our RAM behind it.

4. While all of the above it fun, it may not be practical for many reasons. Here is what I would do if you cannot legally drive w/o a front license plate: angle it up. Millions of $$$ of studies say the right angle is fifteen degrees up (this is not a secret: just look at all those stealthy LaFayette frigate in the James Bond movies). Add to those fifteen degrees the angle that a LOE shooting his laser gun from 5’ to a car 200’ away (too tired to compute the angle now) and you will end up with a license plate about 107 degrees from the horizontal.

I’ll test #1 and #4.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2007, 01:55 AM   #29
L8Apex
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 997 turbo

Try this. http://www.bestradardetectors.net/La.../laserveil.htm
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2007, 06:57 AM   #30
Dr_Dirt
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilyB View Post
It has been a long day in Zurich, and a fun evening, so I will post a short answer about license plates.

My angle is purely theoretical. I am not a lawyer and I do not know which solution is legal, or not, in whichever jurisdiction you might be. I advise the readers to inquire in their own countries, states, counties etc. about what is legally doable or not.

There are several ways to reduce the front license plate “signature” (RCS and laser return).

1. Do not mount a license plate.

2. If you are not legally obliged to sport a license plate, do not mount a fake metal plate with the logo of your favorite car manufacturer or your favorite team.

3. If you have to have a license plate:

a. Dip in the mud, bake it in the oven, and mount it back on your car.

b. Cover it with commercially available “anti-laser” coating. (I have not yet tried that product, so I have no opinion whatsoever about its performance. )

c. Cover it with the “Tool booth violator” plate. (Again, I have no clue whether it works or not, but I am sure the LOE will recognize it for what it is and treat you as a toll scoundrel! )

d. Get from the DMW the darkest possible plate available. I’ve seen some pretty dark colored ones from some states. Coat it while new with a coat of matt clear varnish.

e. Get from the many vendors on the internet a plastic 3D license plate replica, with a license plate sized chunk of our RAM behind it.

4. While all of the above it fun, it may not be practical for many reasons. Here is what I would do if you cannot legally drive w/o a front license plate: angle it up. Millions of $$$ of studies say the right angle is fifteen degrees up (this is not a secret: just look at all those stealthy LaFayette frigate in the James Bond movies). Add to those fifteen degrees the angle that a LOE shooting his laser gun from 5’ to a car 200’ away (too tired to compute the angle now) and you will end up with a license plate about 107 degrees from the horizontal.

I’ll test #1 and #4.
I like # 4 & 3b
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 06:37 PM   #31
judec
born to be turbocharged
Slovakia
Rep
Drives: Not a bimmer yet

any updates, guys?

Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 10:00 PM   #32
wesley_willis
Private First Class
Rep

yeah.. this is one of the things im most excited about my car for!!
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2007, 12:27 PM   #33
judec
born to be turbocharged
Slovakia
Rep

Appreciate 0
      11-10-2007, 01:53 PM   #34
Magimac
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 335i sedan

Garage List
2008 335i sedan  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambino View Post
Woo hoo

what about us Europeans? My Valentine 1 set on Euro mode still doesnt pick up 80 percent of the Photo cameras out here so i just removed it.. no point.. I need help.. im sick of getting tickets in the mail for 6kmh over grrr
one word fix: hairspray...
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2007, 02:02 PM   #35
wesley_willis
Private First Class
Rep

surely styling his hair differently won't prevent him from getting another ticket
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2007, 06:53 PM   #36
judec
born to be turbocharged
Slovakia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magimac View Post
one word fix: hairspray...
What?

Confused as a blind lesbian at the fishmarket...

Appreciate 0
      11-11-2007, 01:44 AM   #37
Magimac
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2008 335i sedan  [0.00]
Hairspray your plates -- Licence Plate Readers cannot read sprayed plates. If they use cameras, then buy a polarizing cover...
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2007, 04:47 AM   #38
judec
born to be turbocharged
Slovakia
Rep

well, dont wanna argue but those "camouflage" sprays were qualified as bogus. What would a hair spray make superior over not working specials?

Appreciate 0
      11-11-2007, 11:59 AM   #39
Magimac
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2008 335i sedan  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by judec View Post
well, dont wanna argue but those "camouflage" sprays were qualified as bogus. What would a hair spray make superior over not working specials?
The 'camo' sprays are hairspray -- they make it difficult for most LPR equipment to read plates. Polarizing lenses work better imo -- photo mounts are almost all higher, so they get nothing but glare...
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2007, 01:19 PM   #40
judec
born to be turbocharged
Slovakia
Rep

OK, let's stop the OT (dont wanna say BS) and wait for Willy's follow up.

Appreciate 0
      11-11-2007, 02:52 PM   #41
hotrod2448
grand poobah
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, F10 535i

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
http://www.guysoflidar.com/testing.html
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2007, 04:40 PM   #42
WilyB
Captain
Rep

Garage List
I would like to say sorry for not having posted here in a while. I have been very busy lately and so is the factory, pesky but bill paying customers!

The project is definitively on and I am working on a real life test with a local law enforcement agency.

I shall keep you posted.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2007, 06:32 PM   #43
wesley_willis
Private First Class
Rep

Good luck with work and thanks for the update!! Hope to hear from you soon
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2007, 04:57 PM   #44
WilyB
Captain
Rep

Garage List
First, I’d like to say I am sorry for the delay, but the bill paying pesky customers kind of had some sort of priority!

But it is Xmas’ eve and guess what UPS left on my door? The stealth bra! It is thin, light and look exactly like the BMW factory original bra.

I will take pictures in the coming days.

Now I am looking for a friendly LOE who would like to help testing the bra against K and Ku band radars.

Merry Christmas to you all on e90post and let me know if you may help for the test.
Appreciate 0