E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > iPhone 4 cradles - Part Numbers

08-16-2011, 03:28 PM   #67
mercury26
Lord of the Rings
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 Audi SQ5,05 BMW 330i ZHP

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsd107 View Post
So my MUSIC cradle just arrived (for 6NF 6FL 2009 E90), and works fine.

Interestingly, the MUSIC cradle that I received does NOT have a fan built into it (the MEDIA adapter does have a fan). I thought that was the whole point of the recall - i.e. to add a fan to avoid overheating.

Regardless, I do prefer not having fan noise. BUT, my iPhone 4 gets HOT while used in the MUSIC cradle. While waiting the twelve freaking months for BMW to actually release the iPhone4 cradle, I've been using my iPhone 4 in the center console with the BMW iphone cable, and noticed that it does get warmer than my iPhone 3G did in it's music cradle.

However, the iPhone 4 in the MUSIC cradle does get hotter than if it is just sitting in the center console connected via BMW's cable. The phone never gets as hot in any other usage scenario than it does while in the MUSIC cradle.

I don't know if it's so hot that it will damage the iPhone. But it makes me wonder what was the whole point of the part recall. And why does the MEDIA adapter get a fan, while the MUSIC adapter does not get a fan.

I have the same adapter and find my iPhone4 gets VERY, VERY hot. I also am concerned about damaging the iPhone or worse causing a fire in my car. Apple has had fire concerns with other devices that sell, in regards to the charging mechanism. I have the ver2.0 Music adapter, so wondering if their is a newer version or if we have to live with dangerously hot iPhones.

Thanks,

Chuck
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2011, 03:49 PM   #68
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:

I had previously received the MEDIA adapter by mistake, and it would not work in my car.

Interestingly, the MUSIC cradle that I received does NOT have a fan built into it (the MEDIA adapter does have a fan). I thought that was the whole point of the recall - i.e. to add a fan to avoid overheating.

Regardless, I do prefer not having fan noise. BUT, my iPhone 4 gets HOT while used in the MUSIC cradle. While waiting the twelve freaking months for BMW to actually release the iPhone4 cradle, I've been using my iPhone 4 in the center console with the BMW iphone cable, and noticed that it does get warmer than my iPhone 3G did in it's music cradle.

However, the iPhone 4 in the MUSIC cradle does get hotter than if it is just sitting in the center console connected via BMW's cable. The phone never gets as hot in any other usage scenario than it does while in the MUSIC cradle.

I don't know if it's so hot that it will damage the iPhone. But it makes me wonder what was the whole point of the part recall. And why does the MEDIA adapter get a fan, while the MUSIC adapter does not get a fan.
I imagine the reason the MEDIA cradle got special treatment fan-wise is because it's the only one that enables video decoding on the phone, which is much more processor-intensive and therefore more heat-generating than music decoding or cell data.

That said, yes the iPhone 4 does indeed get very hot in that cradle, much hotter than anywhere else I've used it, and even when video isn't being used. In fact one time when I was getting into my car after it'd been sitting in 106-degree weather (in a parking garage, at least!) after a few minutes my iPhone powered off and showed an excessive temperature warning on the display -- and that's in the MEDIA cradle just doing Pandora!! Personally I think that means a fan should be standard across all cradles (not that it works particularly well even when it's there), but hey business is business I guess.

I don't mind the fan. You don't hear it at all with the armrest down, although when I first plugged my phone in while the armrest was still up and heard a buzzing I thought something was wrong with my stereo!

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2011, 06:47 PM   #69
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

Quote:

I had previously received the MEDIA adapter by mistake, and it would not work in my car.

A little confused, but at this point I'm just happy to FINALLY have the stinkin adapter. The snapin adapters are a really cool feature to me. But after using the iPhone 3G adapter for the 18 months I had that phone, it was annoying to go for half of the iPhone 4's life span (i.e. contract life of 2 years) before I could get my hands on the adapter.

BMW really has to get their $hit together on the next iPhone and NOT have it take 12 months to get the adapter out. For the iPhone 3G, the phone was released in July, the very first 6NF cars were being built in Sept (arriving in the US in Nov), and the 6NF-compatible iPhone 3G snapin adapter was available in Dec. That is still long, but at least understandable (as the non-6NF version was available a month or two prior). But 12 months is completely unacceptable....
Can you post a pic of your new music cradle? I have the original "recalled" iPhone 4 music cradle. Be interested in seeing if it's any different to the new one ! I've being using v1 of the cradle for 4 or 5 months and although the phone get warm ... Never had any issues to report.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 11:40 AM   #70
kreeshtan
United_States
Rep
Drives: Arctic blue 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [10.00]
oOOoo i gotta get me one of those
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 01:47 PM   #71
bredi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335d

Does the iPhone 4 Media cradle output all the iPhone to the iDrive? So that contacts, safari, other apps also work? Or just the iPod music "app"?

Also, people have mentioned it takes over the whole screen, so you can't use the split screen for NAV. Is this true?

If so, I would assume that if you go to NAV, it then cuts out the iPhone music?
Not allowing you to use Nav and listen to the iPhone?
2000' 328ci MT TIAG/Blk/Alum | 1986' 325es MT | 1981' 528i MT
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 01:54 PM   #72
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bredi View Post
Does the iPhone 4 Media cradle output all the iPhone to the iDrive? So that contacts, safari, other apps also work? Or just the iPod music "app"?

Also, people have mentioned it takes over the whole screen, so you can't use the split screen for NAV. Is this true?

If so, I would assume that if you go to NAV, it then cuts out the iPhone music?
Not allowing you to use Nav and listen to the iPhone?

It only outputs the iPod app and video playback. It is not a display mirroring solution.

It does indeed take up the whole screen while it's active, even if split screen is enabled. However, you only need to have it active to change songs and such. You can enter it, choose your song, and then switch elsewhere and the music will continue to play.

In all honesty unless you want to use Genius Mixes or show it off as a cool novelty feature, there's no reason to use iPod Out over iDrive's native iPod interface.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 02:59 PM   #73
bredi
Private First Class
Rep

Agreed. If it output the whole display, then I'd order it. $200+ just isn't worth it for just and ipod interface that is already quite good. I'm glad it still plays the music. I read elsewhere that it cut it out. My apple cable works just fine.

$99 sure!

thanks for the clarification.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 04:01 PM   #74
Jobu
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 911 Carrera S

Garage List
2006 911 Carrera S  [0.00]
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
2003 530i  [0.00]
Benefit of BMW Apps using (expensive) Media Cradle

I don't have the Media cradle yet, since I'm waiting for the iPhone 5/4S release. But, I did order BMW Apps, so I'm ready. The benefit for me is being able to stream music (web radio, hopefully spotify), and facebook updates on the screen. I suppose better control of the iPhone music would be good too, as the current interface (using the USB cable) makes it a pain to find music thats not in a playlist.
2003 E39 530i - Auto - Black Sapphire on Black
Gone: 2001 325Ci - 5MT- TopazBlue/Black Trackday Count: 10
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 04:16 PM   #75
bredi
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobu View Post
I don't have the Media cradle yet, since I'm waiting for the iPhone 5/4S release. But, I did order BMW Apps, so I'm ready. The benefit for me is being able to stream music (web radio, hopefully spotify), and facebook updates on the screen. I suppose better control of the iPhone music would be good too, as the current interface (using the USB cable) makes it a pain to find music thats not in a playlist.
yeah, it definitely is nice. If it were $99 I'd buy it. But I also am waiting for the iPhone 5. That would be over $450 in snap-in adapters!

I just got my car, but I think if you use the Apple White USB cable you still get that... I'll check later.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 12:15 PM   #76
Ackrite
The Wizard
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 335i xDrive M-Sport

Sorry to resurrect an old thread...but figured better than starting a new one.

For those with the Media Snap-in Adapters with a fan...is the fan powered on at all times when the iPhone is docked? Or only, as I'm being told by my stealership's parts department, when the phone reaches a certain temperature and "calls for it"?

From previous comments in this thread it sounds like the fan should be easily heard when the armrest is open...which I do not hear. I'm basically wondering if I have a faulty Media Snap-in (this is my second one) or if I'm just not noticing it because the fan is only periodically on?

Much thanks all!
'00 e46 323i *retired*
'84 e23 733i *retired*

Last edited by Ackrite; 04-30-2012 at 08:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 06:36 AM   #77
energy
Malaysia
Rep
Drives: bmw e90 325i LCI

Hi experts,
Need advice.
I have a 2009 e90 325i msports in Malaysia.
I have retrofitted combox, currently have Bluetooth and USB options.
I want full media capability with iphone4 snapin adapter.
I think I need a cable to connect baseplate to combox. I will order baseplate (84109243209) and 4 chanbel hsc usb cable with blue connector (61119202749)
Which iPhone 4s media snapin adapter should I buy?

84212 218 392 or 84212 219 392?

Please advice.

Regards,
Energy
Appreciate 0