E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > All COBB Tuning AccessPORT Flash for N54 335i Discussion Here

08-12-2013, 12:04 AM   #8141
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg4734 View Post
Ok, thanks. I think changing plugs will fix the timing corrections, though if that doesn't help i'm not sure what to do next. I have the tune off the car currently since I'm going to try and get plugs under BMW maintenance, but I'll try and get a better log this week if I need to go to an indy shop.

How do I go about fixing the overboost? Is it worth fixing? I had this happen before in another log before I downloaded ATR, and I'm not sure what to change on the map to prevent overboosting.
Your corrections were minor (-3 or less) and only in two cylinders. It's not really too much to worry about. It might be caused by the throttle closure or be adapation based. I find whenever I flash a new map and don't go WOT a few times, timing corrections will show up.

As far as fixing the overboost (which was minor) you are going to want to massage your "WGDC Base" table as a starting point. Multiply your table by .9 to scale it down 10%. If throttle closures still show up go ahead and log "MAF requested WGDC" and "Boost Setpoint Factor", post it up here, and we can go from there.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 07:59 AM   #8142
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Company View Post
@135Pats, do you have any logs with LPFP pressure? If you don't mind I'd like to compare yours to mine.
Yea I log it on every ethanol log I pull. Actually I think I posted up a really recent log on the previous page of this thread, that log is pretty clean. Generally speaking I see LPFP PSI dip to the low 50s approaching peak boost, but it holds up well enough and HPFP PSI doesn’t get dragged down too badly. This is with E30 and pump as the only fuel, meth hasn’t been installed yet while I figure out SS lines. Ultimate goal on stock turbos is E40 + Meth; until we get more definitive long-term testing on high E85 concentrations I’m a bit hesitant to run E50+. Not to mention the 6AT puts a practical cap on the type of torque I can run midrange once meth comes into the equation.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 09:07 AM   #8143
mg4734
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i M-Sport Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Company
Quote:
Ok, thanks. I think changing plugs will fix the timing corrections, though if that doesn't help i'm not sure what to do next. I have the tune off the car currently since I'm going to try and get plugs under BMW maintenance, but I'll try and get a better log this week if I need to go to an indy shop.

How do I go about fixing the overboost? Is it worth fixing? I had this happen before in another log before I downloaded ATR, and I'm not sure what to change on the map to prevent overboosting.
Your corrections were minor (-3 or less) and only in two cylinders. It's not really too much to worry about. It might be caused by the throttle closure or be adapation based. I find whenever I flash a new map and don't go WOT a few times, timing corrections will show up.

As far as fixing the overboost (which was minor) you are going to want to massage your "WGDC Base" table as a starting point. Multiply your table by .9 to scale it down 10%. If throttle closures still show up go ahead and log "MAF requested WGDC" and "Boost Setpoint Factor", post it up here, and we can go from there.
Ok, thanks! I'll get on ATR and take a log once I'm done trying to get the dealership to do some maintenance before my warranty goes up. Hoping for plugs and walnut blasting
2009 E92 335i M-Sport - MHD Stage One - BMW Performance Exhaust - BMS Oil Catch Can - CDV Delete - K&N Panel Filter - Arc Angel H8 bulbs - Gloss Black Kidney Grills - Painted Reflectors - VRSF Charge Pipe
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 10:02 AM   #8144
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats View Post
Yea I log it on every ethanol log I pull. Actually I think I posted up a really recent log on the previous page of this thread, that log is pretty clean. Generally speaking I see LPFP PSI dip to the low 50s approaching peak boost, but it holds up well enough and HPFP PSI doesn’t get dragged down too badly. This is with E30 and pump as the only fuel, meth hasn’t been installed yet while I figure out SS lines. Ultimate goal on stock turbos is E40 + Meth; until we get more definitive long-term testing on high E85 concentrations I’m a bit hesitant to run E50+. Not to mention the 6AT puts a practical cap on the type of torque I can run midrange once meth comes into the equation.
Thanks Pat.

Quote:
Ok, thanks! I'll get on ATR and take a log once I'm done trying to get the dealership to do some maintenance before my warranty goes up. Hoping for plugs and walnut blasting
Sounds good.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 10:10 AM   #8145
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep

No problem. Let me know if there’s anything concerning you see in the log, or if there’s other context on my end that would be helpful for whatever you’re trying to look into. I’m always trying to learn more.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 01:48 PM   #8146
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
No problem. Let me know if there’s anything concerning you see in the log, or if there’s other context on my end that would be helpful for whatever you’re trying to look into. I’m always trying to learn more.
Your HP and LP look very similar to mine, but the problem is i'm running 93 when this happens. Trims are lower than yours with a scalar of 1.000, but that's expected. Do you throw any fuel codes? The only one I'm getting is 2AAF. AFR's are on point as are yours. Your log looks pretty good.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 02:39 PM   #8147
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Company View Post
Your HP and LP look very similar to mine, but the problem is i'm running 93 when this happens. Trims are lower than yours with a scalar of 1.000, but that's expected. Do you throw any fuel codes? The only one I'm getting is 2AAF. AFR's are on point as are yours. Your log looks pretty good.
Hm….I can look over some older pump gas logs I have from the winter, but IIRC I wasn’t logging trim or fuel PSI since it didn’t seem necessary. Every now and then the car will throw P2AAF, and it’s also thrown P29E-something fuel mixture related. But that’s rare, and I’ve had a grand total of 1 misfire/limp mode since switching to the E30 map about 5 months ago. I was pretty happy with that particular log, it’s def one of the cleanest one’s my motor has produced.

I guess I’d just say that if you’re good on AFR, and good on trim…I wouldn’t worry too much about pump PSI. Could just be your stock pumps getting a bit tired, my LPFP is probably in the later stages of its life. So long as HPFP PSI isn’t tanking and the car is at a healthy AFR, it would seem things are more or less OK on the fuel delivery front, no?

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 02:59 PM   #8148
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I guess I’d just say that if you’re good on AFR, and good on trim…I wouldn’t worry too much about pump PSI. Could just be your stock pumps getting a bit tired, my LPFP is probably in the later stages of its life. So long as HPFP PSI isn’t tanking and the car is at a healthy AFR, it would seem things are more or less OK on the fuel delivery front, no?
That's what it is most likely. It's just suprising considering my car has 24,000 miles and I don't use ethanol. I guess I'll start looking into Walbro's as I was going to do it anyway.

Correct, the only issue is LP dropping. HP, trims and AFR are all fine.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 06:51 PM   #8149
jaykayelemenohpee
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Morris View Post
You may need to pressure test yourself to be sure, but if he's right then I think that just leaves bypass valves or vacuum system controlling the wastegates. Yeah, at 5000-6000ft I normally hit 17-18psi momentarily with the Stage1+ OTS map when I first get full boost.
So that leaves boost solenoids and getting a new cp combo. Are there any DIYs out there for boost solenoids?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 07:54 PM   #8150
Carl Morris
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykayelemenohpee View Post
So that leaves boost solenoids and getting a new cp combo. Are there any DIYs out there for boost solenoids?
Not that I'm aware of, but they're probably fine. It's the vacuum hoses to/from the reservoirs that feed the WGAs that you want to check out from what I've heard.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 09:05 PM   #8151
jaykayelemenohpee
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Not that I'm aware of, but they're probably fine. It's the vacuum hoses to/from the reservoirs that feed the WGAs that you want to check out from what I've heard.
Is it as simple as looking at the wastegate, finding the vac hose, and tracing it back and just replacing the hose? I'm just so far away from any real help that I want to be sure before I start digging around.

Anybody have part numbers or an auto zone equivalent or the hose measurements before I go digging?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 09:54 PM   #8152
USCTROJANSFIGHTON
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car. Vrooom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwarren View Post
running higher boost is going to show your weak points . you def have a problem if you cant run 11 psi . could be diverter valves ,piping ,or vac lines or a bad boost solenoid even hard to say .I would start by buying some vac line and just replace it all its cheap and a great place to start.
also bad timing corrections in that first log .what fuel are you running to get those stock ?
I'll start taking a close look this weekend. In the meantime, I'll keep it on Stage 0.

I was running nevada 91 ACN fuel....
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 10:33 AM   #8153
Carl Morris
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6MT

Quote:
Is it as simple as looking at the wastegate, finding the vac hose, and tracing it back and just replacing the hose?
I'm hoping someone who has done it will chime in, but it's all the hoses connected to the vacuum canisters in the front passenger side of the engine bay. They say that the ones that cross over the front of the motor (that supply manifold vacuum to the canisters) tend to be likely to leak as the years go by.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 03:27 AM   #8154
johmei
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 M3 ZCP

Garage List
Quote:
I'm hoping someone who has done it will chime in, but it's all the hoses connected to the vacuum canisters in the front passenger side of the engine bay. They say that the ones that cross over the front of the motor (that supply manifold vacuum to the canisters) tend to be likely to leak as the years go by.
The lines are cheap so get yourself something like 12 feet of silicon tubing and just change them all out. You will have to take the canisters out to reach some of the hoses and the engine cover to change the two under there (you could put new ones on the outside, leaving the old under the cover, just to try if it helps). Also remember the lines from your diverter valves to throttle body. Be careful not to break any connections as they are plastic and some lines tend to be stuck on there. I used a pick to loosen some of them as I pulled on the line.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 08:33 AM   #8155
napeHbNYC
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e60 550i RWD 6MT

These codes keep coming back even under granny style driving. I checked the position of the O2 sensors and black ones are on the front pipe, grey-on the rear. Running stg 2+ agr. Codes are: 2098
2c32
2c6b
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 10:21 AM   #8156
jaykayelemenohpee
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johmei View Post
The lines are cheap so get yourself something like 12 feet of silicon tubing and just change them all out. You will have to take the canisters out to reach some of the hoses and the engine cover to change the two under there (you could put new ones on the outside, leaving the old under the cover, just to try if it helps). Also remember the lines from your diverter valves to throttle body. Be careful not to break any connections as they are plastic and some lines tend to be stuck on there. I used a pick to loosen some of them as I pulled on the line.
Do you know the specific hose diameters?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 11:17 AM   #8157
momo786
Premium, Sport, Navi, Comfort, Cold, Step, & More
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335I Coupe

Need help with codes

Running stage 1 aggressive with afe intake. These are the codes that were triggered:
P0302
P29f3
P29ce

Can anyone help me with what they are? Any help is much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 11:25 AM   #8158
johmei
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 M3 ZCP

Garage List
Quote:
Do you know the specific hose diameters?
OT but I used 4mm (5/32") silicone lines I had already with zip ties and vacuum hose clamps.. OEM is 3.5mmX1.8mm.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 12:58 PM   #8159
jaykayelemenohpee
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johmei View Post
OT but I used 4mm (5/32") silicone lines I had already with zip ties and vacuum hose clamps.. OEM is 3.5mmX1.8mm.
Thank you. I'll pick some up next time I'm in town. Hopefully that'll fix the problem.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 02:40 PM   #8160
VNeBLOB42
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14' GMC Terrain SLT-2

Garage List
007 335i E92  [7.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by momo786 View Post
Running stage 1 aggressive with afe intake. These are the codes that were triggered:
P0302
P29f3
P29ce

Can anyone help me with what they are? Any help is much appreciated.
29F3 fuel pressure sensor, electrical

29CE misfirings, cylinder 2

not sure what the top one is. clear this with cobb and see if they come back. If the this tune triggered this misfire, then you should go through the misfiring steps.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=631829

SOLD:: PTF Pro eTune by Dzenno / COBB S1+ E50
Alpina B3 Flash / ETS FMIC / ER CP / CPE DCI
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 02:42 PM   #8161
JStang
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: FDB M3 CS

For the love of God please ship me my V3. I am so impatient.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 03:23 PM   #8162
napeHbNYC
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e60 550i RWD 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by napeHbNYC View Post
These codes keep coming back even under granny style driving. I checked the position of the O2 sensors and black ones are on the front pipe, grey-on the rear. Running stg 2+ agr. Codes are: 2098
2c32
2c6b
Anyone?
Appreciate 0