E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Hard water spots....

12-08-2009, 01:38 AM   #1
Zero.7
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 340i AW M-Sport

Hard water spots....

Hey everyone. I can't complain too much about the weather in sunny Socal, but recently, we have had some rain (I know, boo hoo...).

Well, I don't mind the rain, BUT here in Socal, it'll rain for a few hours, then suddenly, it gets sunny for an hour or so, then maybe rain again! So, of course, when it's sunny after the rain, my car get these annoying hard water/rain spots. I have BSM, so I have to be so careful as not to induce swirls. So, what do you guys recommend to remove stubborn hard water spots. Thank you so much for any advice/recommendations.

'16 f30 AW 340i M-sport
8-speed Auto
BMW ///M Performance Power and Sound Kit with Carbon Tips / Gloss Black Performance grilles
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 03:17 AM   #2
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

Removal of Water Spotshttp://************/kvgmf3

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 09:32 AM   #3
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Wax/sealant before it rains. Rain in SoCal really shouldn't cause hard water spots. It may look that way because the dirt pooled and dried. Wax/selaant will protect the surface so that when your slightly dusty car gets a few drops, the winds of driving will whisk most of it off before it can dry.

Best regards,
Wede
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 10:07 AM   #4
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGWT View Post

Very nice write up
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 10:20 AM   #5
Zero.7
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Wax/sealant before it rains. Rain in SoCal really shouldn't cause hard water spots. It may look that way because the dirt pooled and dried. Wax/selaant will protect the surface so that when your slightly dusty car gets a few drops, the winds of driving will whisk most of it off before it can dry.

Best regards,
Wede
Maybe "hardwater" wasn't the right word. But yeah, my car had been sealed about 1.5 months ago. I know what you mean about the little "dirt" spots, but when you look really closely at the paint, you can see the outlining borders of these spots! The center is clear, but you can see the edges of these spots. There seem almost to be etched in or something

'16 f30 AW 340i M-sport
8-speed Auto
BMW ///M Performance Power and Sound Kit with Carbon Tips / Gloss Black Performance grilles
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 10:24 AM   #6
Zero.7
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGWT View Post

Wow. Great write up. I will give some of your suggestions a try. I don't have all the necessary equipment/product, but do have similar products. Thanks again

'16 f30 AW 340i M-sport
8-speed Auto
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 10:53 AM   #7
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cni2i View Post
Maybe "hardwater" wasn't the right word. But yeah, my car had been sealed about 1.5 months ago. I know what you mean about the little "dirt" spots, but when you look really closely at the paint, you can see the outlining borders of these spots! The center is clear, but you can see the edges of these spots. There seem almost to be etched in or something
Some of them will etch. That's just how it is for a DD. If you clean regularly and keep your car protected, it keeps this to a minimum, but occasionally, one or two spots will just be a PITA and leave their mark behind.

I take very good care of my paint, yet every six months or so, I have a few water spot marks that need to be polished out, along with the usual mild swirls that you get over time. I've learned to accept it as something beyond my control.
      12-08-2009, 11:33 AM   #8
Zero.7
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK View Post
Some of them will etch. That's just how it is for a DD. If you clean regularly and keep your car protected, it keeps this to a minimum, but occasionally, one or two spots will just be a PITA and leave their mark behind.

I take very good care of my paint, yet every six months or so, I have a few water spot marks that need to be polished out, along with the usual mild swirls that you get over time. I've learned to accept it as something beyond my control.
Thanks for the feedback. It's good to know that you take really good care of your car, yet will still get these marks. I consider myself pretty diligent too when it comes to taking car of my car's exterior. But you're right, somethings are just out of your hands. I will try the 2:1 water:isopropyl combination. Have you tried that before?

'16 f30 AW 340i M-sport
8-speed Auto
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 01:03 PM   #9
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Quote:
I will try the 2:1 water:isopropyl combination. Have you tried that before?
I've used clay, paint cleanser, vinegar, and Scratch-X by hand, and have had varying levels of success. I use IPA as a wipedown when I polish, but haven't tried it on water spots. If you do this, make sure you re-wax or re-seal the spot, because IPA will strip your LSP. Well, I guess all those things will strip the LSP.

In any case, I just don't worry about them so much anymore. I know that's not the greatest answer for a detailing forum. But if you wash often, you should have very few spots that actually etch. When I see water spots, I clean them the best I can and if there is etching left behind (rare, but it happens), then it's pretty much impossible to see except with a bright directional light source, so I'll just take care of it the next polish. When I polish every six months, there's bound to be at least one or two on the trunk, maybe one or two on the hood or roof, too. Since my car is my daily driver, I've come to grips with letting a few things go... but just a few, and only if it isn't visible to anyone except other detailers.
      12-08-2009, 06:28 PM   #10
pander5
Special Forces - Discretion is superior
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe Sapphire Black

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
I had a customer that wanted severe water spots removed from the passenger side. She gets the "sprinkler" side of the driveway at home! I used Zaino ZPC and before buffing spritzed the panels with white distilled vinegar straight. I ran the risk of ZPC and the vinegar not being chemically compatible but it worked like a charm. Obviously I replaced the LSP that was removed by the process.

I also like Zaino All In One chemical cleaner for lighter spotting. Don't be afraid to exert some pressure and slow down your passes.
      12-09-2009, 03:39 AM   #11
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

Quote:
Wow. Great write up. I will give some of your suggestions a try. I don't have all the necessary equipment/product, but do have similar products. Thanks again
Thank you for those kind words. Let me know if I can be of further assistance.
Appreciate 0