E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > E90 Steering issue, Suggestions??

09-06-2017, 03:01 PM   #1
CChalmers35
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw E90 318D

E90 Steering issue, Suggestions??

I'm currently driving a 2011 e90 318d thats just came over the 70000 mile mark. For a few months now Ive been having an issue where the car feels and looks to be driving in a perfectly straight line but the steering wheel is sitting more to the left hand side. when i centre the steering wheel the car drifts off to the right. Since this has started Ive had 4 new tyres fitted with the pressures equalised, A hunter hawk-eye wheel alignment (No proof it was actually carried out), the drivers side wheel bearing replaced (Already showing signs of play after only 9 months), the front discs and pads have recently been replaced and the tracking has been checked twice at different garages since the issue started. It never needed any adjustments both times.

Any other suggestions to what i can try next? Im thinking replace the wheel bearing that should be covered by the purchasing warranty as it is inside 12 months and then try another 4 wheel alignment, avoiding quick fit this time!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 12:23 PM   #2
robthewrench
Captain
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 335i

When they did the alignment, they may not have tried to center the steering wheel. It is possible to align all 4 wheels to factor specs, without the steering wheel being centered.

You might want to try another alignment, but specifically mention the steering wheel needs to be centered.
      09-07-2017, 01:21 PM   #3
CChalmers35
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw E90 318D

Quote:
Originally Posted by robthewrench View Post
When they did the alignment, they may not have tried to center the steering wheel. It is possible to align all 4 wheels to factor specs, without the steering wheel being centered.

You might want to try another alignment, but specifically mention the steering wheel needs to be centered.
If I'm being honest I don't think the alignment was even done. My car seemed to go up on the ramps, the gauges were placed on the wheels and then one of the mechanics hung around the for a while before disappearing. The values on the readout screen in the waiting room also never changed and no before/after printouts were given to me. I would have said something at the time if I knew I was meant to get printouts of the readings.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 10:53 PM   #4
siphor1989
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 m340i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CChalmers35 View Post
If I'm being honest I don't think the alignment was even done. My car seemed to go up on the ramps, the gauges were placed on the wheels and then one of the mechanics hung around the for a while before disappearing. The values on the readout screen in the waiting room also never changed and no before/after printouts were given to me. I would have said something at the time if I knew I was meant to get printouts of the readings.
I would not have paid for the work unless they provided a printout of the before/after alignment specs. I have always been provided a printout in all the times i've gotten an alignment.
Appreciate 0