E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > USB/iPod Retrofit Kit...Why no aftermarket?

04-21-2012, 11:55 AM   #1
soontobe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 xDrive50e M Sport

USB/iPod Retrofit Kit...Why no aftermarket?

What's up guys?

I just picked up an early 07 E90 335i and it has everything except the USB port of course.

I am bummed I can't control my iPod through the iDrive without buying the ridiculously overpriced retrofit kit and was wondering if anyone knows why a third party company hasn't made an aftermarket kit to solve the issue and more than likely drop the price?

I have been researching and reading for house so if for some reason I just didn't stumble upon what I was looking for I'm sorry in advance, and if anyone knows of a cheaper solution please let me know.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2012, 01:27 AM   #2
bimcoding
Rep
Drives: X5

Same situation for me. I didn't want to pay some insane 700+ for retrofit either. Instead I bought the following gadget to stream music from my iphone to aux port, via blackberry remote stereo gateway. Not too bad for $50. Also bought a AC vent iphone holder so not quite the same but next best thing for 50 bucks.

Amazon price went up but if you do a google search for "BlackBerry Remote Stereo Bluetooth Gateway" and then click on shopping, there's one listed for $45ish.

http://www.amazon.com/BlackBerry-Rem.../dp/B00170KUM0
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 12:59 PM   #3
biz77
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by soontobe View Post
What's up guys?

I just picked up an early 07 E90 335i and it has everything except the USB port of course.

I am bummed I can't control my iPod through the iDrive without buying the ridiculously overpriced retrofit kit and was wondering if anyone knows why a third party company hasn't made an aftermarket kit to solve the issue and more than likely drop the price?

I have been researching and reading for house so if for some reason I just didn't stumble upon what I was looking for I'm sorry in advance, and if anyone knows of a cheaper solution please let me know.

Thanks!
http://www.dension.com/product/iPod-...ts/gateway-500
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 09:53 AM   #4
Vigorous
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by biz77 View Post
This seems to be a $450+install option.

I'm also interested in a cheaper solution to play in the I-drive screen like the OP. ....Maybe there isn't one?
2007 Montego Blue 335i Coupe / VRSF Downpipes / ETS Intercooler / Injen Intake / Alufelgen SF-71 Hyperblack / Orion V4 Angel Eyes / Aero Lip / M3 Side Skirts / CSL Trunk / Roof Spoiler / HID 3000k Fogs / Painted Shadowline Trim / Lowering Perches
Appreciate 0