E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Removing e90 plastic trunk panel

04-26-2012, 11:16 PM   #1
BK-Diesel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Removing e90 plastic trunk panel

Im removing the carpet trim in my e90 sedan and found the plastic trunk piece in the center is difficult to get out. I'm certain those plastic rivet things are holding it in, but it appears to take more force than I am comfortable exerting for fear of breaking something.

Is there a trick to get this thing out? Is there something other than the plastic tack pins holding it in?

Thanks

Bk
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 01:42 AM   #2
ericinca
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 335d

I have recently removed this trunk piece (and then put it back in). There are four pins and two screws at the top (under plastic covers) holding this trunk piece in place.

Yes, the pins are quite difficult to get out, but it's possible. The pins are quite strong, and I did not break any during removal. I used a notched plastic trim removal tool that you'd use for removing door panels to minimize scratching on the plastic. Repeated prying to loosen the pin a little each time and then finally as soon as the pin is far out enough, some significant force will get it out, like pulling a tooth (not that I've done it myself).

On the other hand, once they're out and you want to put them back in, it's relatively easy to do.

I haven't had to try this, but applying some synthetic lubricant before prying seems like it would also help.

BTW, I found that you could pull the carpet out without having to remove this center piece, but to reinstall the carpet, you would have to remove the center piece to properly align everything.

Happy pulling!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 04:11 AM   #3
deepsrd
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i LCI

I recently did it..
3. Remove plastic trunk edge liner.
Tool used : Flathead screwdriver & Philips screwdriver.
There are four plastic rivets and two philips screws holding this in place.
The rivets are easy to remove, but are very tight. Use the flathead screwdriver to ease the rivet off the edges, working around it. It will pop out eventually. If it has come out too much that the flathead cant do the job, use pliers (slim arm one) to yank it out.
The two screws and under two oval plastic caps u can see from the top. use a thin plastic tool, or a thin flathead to pop it out. It comes off very easily without much resistance. Remove the screws underneath. Now pull this trim into the trunk from its bottom, and gently nudge it off the boot liner on the top. Done!.

See this post, I have attached a document which will help you do it properly. (with pics)
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=680645
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 09:01 AM   #4
john__y
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330xi

I realize this is an older thread and the question has been answered, but wanted to give my thoughts on doing this on an older e90.

The are indeed like rivets. I used two nylon prying tools on opposite sides, slowly lifting the top tab from the lower base. When it's all the way up, they will noticebly seperate from the body.

I was happy that all 8 came out unbroken and no scratches or bends. This was on my 2006 330xi, so the tabs are 14 years old, but they hadn't turned brittle at all.

Putting them back in was as interesting. Make sure the top is extended from the base. Reseat them into the body by pushing on the base, not the top, otherwise the rivet will expand and it won't go in. In other words don't try to push them in with your thumb, instead use a prying tool or flat screw driver on the base.

Cheers
Appreciate 0