E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Hesitation @ low RPM

12-10-2016, 10:47 PM   #45
Snoball M3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i MB Sedan/11.5 ZCP M3

Garage List
BM  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdavis42 View Post
Could be the fuel regulator or fuel pump.
Thats what I'm thinking but I think if it was that it would've stalled during normal driving, but then I found out that my 328 has the N51 and I read they come with a 15 year or 150,000 mile warranty on emission related problems so Monday I'll find out if I'm qualified cause I hear some dealerships don't accept that, bit if they do I'll let you guys know what it could be and maybe fix our problem lol.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2016, 04:44 PM   #46
tdavis42
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 328i ZSP AT

Garage List
2008 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSKY65 View Post
Thats what I'm thinking but I think if it was that it would've stalled during normal driving, but then I found out that my 328 has the N51 and I read they come with a 15 year or 150,000 mile warranty on emission related problems so Monday I'll find out if I'm qualified cause I hear some dealerships don't accept that, bit if they do I'll let you guys know what it could be and maybe fix our problem lol.
I had my regulator crack and start sloshing gas out of the top and it still drove. It just had a strong smell of gas.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 12:41 AM   #47
Snoball M3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
BM  [0.00]
Just got the car back, told me my DME needed an update and possibly replace the MAF sensor, that the DME codes dont set off lights to go off, but they quoted me 430 to update so if anyone else having issues might want to check that out...
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2017, 07:45 PM   #48
DaanBMW
Captain
Romania
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSKY65 View Post
Just got the car back, told me my DME needed an update and possibly replace the MAF sensor, that the DME codes dont set off lights to go off, but they quoted me 430 to update so if anyone else having issues might want to check that out...
So did you go ahead with it or not ? If you did, did it solve it ?
. BMW Perf: v2 springs + v1 dampers. Valeo SMFW+clutch. 034 MotorSport engine mounts
. Short Shifter + Turner PU bearing + ZHP M weighted shift knob. CDV delete
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 03:17 AM   #49
Snoball M3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
BM  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaanBMW View Post
So did you go ahead with it or not ? If you did, did it solve it ?
Not yet but I knew that wasn't the only problem so I took it to another indy and it also ended up being a damaged crankcase vent valve diaphragm causing an improper air to fuel ratio so I'd have to get my valve cover replaced that I and haven't been able too yet also my oil filter cap wasn't tight enough which was part of the idle too. Does anyone know if valve cover replacement is covered by the SULEV warranty?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 08:56 AM   #50
ZeroSum
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 328i/MR2

Had a similar issue until I changed my Vanos.
      02-10-2017, 10:30 AM   #51
DaanBMW
Captain
Romania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroSum View Post
changed vanos solenoids, camshaft sensors, vvt motor, maf, vanos check valves. result: no improvement.
. BMW Perf: v2 springs + v1 dampers. Valeo SMFW+clutch. 034 MotorSport engine mounts
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 07:14 PM   #52
dstrickland
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 06 325I

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroSum View Post
changed vanos solenoids, camshaft sensors, vvt motor, maf, vanos check valves. result: no improvement.
What kind of hesitation is it? Like a rumble almost like a misfire when you take off?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 10:13 PM   #53
DaanBMW
Captain
Romania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstrickland View Post
What kind of hesitation is it? Like a rumble almost like a misfire when you take off?
imagine you step on the gas pedal to take off. you can imagine that what happens is the rpms go continually up until you feel the engine is revving so high that you should shift to 2nd. so basically the graph would be a continuously rising curve rpm = f(time).

mine would basically be a v. v. brief rpm rise, then a dip - a bog down, feels like a hesitation as it I suddenly took my foot off the gas but I didn't - after which the rpms finally continue the rise expected by the order via the gas pedal. so curve would be a Z shape: up - down - up again.

rumble ? not sure i'd call it that, it is a severe and short dip in rpms that if it would last would kill the engine (it never does).

misfire ? likely not, as a misfire would likely getting more pronounced at high loads/speeds, which never happen.

idling is steady, no dips, no chasing.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2017, 06:53 AM   #54
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
imagine you step on the gas pedal to take off. you can imagine that what happens is the rpms go continually up until you feel the engine is revving so high that you should shift to 2nd. so basically the graph would be a continuously rising curve rpm = f(time).

mine would basically be a v. v. brief rpm rise, then a dip - a bog down, feels like a hesitation as it I suddenly took my foot off the gas but I didn't - after which the rpms finally continue the rise expected by the order via the gas pedal. so curve would be a Z shape: up - down - up again.

rumble ? not sure i'd call it that, it is a severe and short dip in rpms that if it would last would kill the engine (it never does).

misfire ? likely not, as a misfire would likely getting more pronounced at high loads/speeds, which never happen.

If it's a stumble from a stop or low speed right after gunning it I would guess it's the DTC or DSC kicking in.

Mine did the same thing until I changed tires. Dstickland also had the same experience. I thought it was strange to not get lights on the dash.

Even with sticker tires you have to manage your traction / foot or the car will do it for you.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2017, 01:53 PM   #55
DaanBMW
Captain
Romania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjahl View Post
If it's a stumble from a stop or low speed right after gunning it I would guess it's the DTC or DSC kicking in.

Mine did the same thing until I changed tires. Dstickland also had the same experience. I thought it was strange to not get lights on the dash.

Even with sticker tires you have to manage your traction / foot or the car will do it for you.
i actually turn off the 1st stage DSC usually (it screws up the LSD), so no it can't be that. and I'm taking off pretty slow / feathering it when it happens (or I guess it is felt more). it also does it w/ 2 sets of tires+wheels, 18" summers + 17" all weathers

Last edited by DaanBMW; 02-12-2017 at 11:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2017, 10:00 AM   #56
frenchi
Lieutenant
France
Rep
Drives: F30 340i M Performance

Quote:
i actually turn off the 1st stage DSC usually (it screws up the LSD), so no it can't be that. and I'm taking off pretty slow / feathering it when it happens (or I guess it is felt more). it also does it w/ 2 sets of tires+wheels, 18" summers + 17" all weathers
Replace your both precat oxygen sensors even if you don't have a Cel you will be surprised
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2017, 11:02 AM   #57
DaanBMW
Captain
Romania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchi View Post
Replace your both precat oxygen sensors even if you don't have a Cel you will be surprised
Can you elaborate on your experience with doing this (symptoms you had fixed) ? As you can imagine after changing lots of parts that were supposed to fix it based all sorts of online threads, I'm a bit leery to try anything without some solid basis.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 09:44 AM   #58
whinojosa
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i (6sp)

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Daan,

I'm having a similar experience in my 325i.

I finally received a code as the car went into limp mode. The code indicated a bad CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR. I have the new part in hand and am going to swap out sometime this week.

I'll post back with acceleration hiccup results.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 10:28 AM   #59
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Quote:

Oddly enough, mine is doing this too, and only below 4000rpm.

Changed valvecover, vanos solenoids, sparkplugs, valvetronic sensor, and I have a AIT (but might use my MAF again, and changed the manifold pressure sensor.

I'm a a loss.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 05:51 PM   #60
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Can you elaborate on your experience with doing this (symptoms you had fixed) ? As you can imagine after changing lots of parts that were supposed to fix it based all sorts of online threads, I'm a bit leery to try anything without some solid basis.
Let me know what you find.

What else could it be - throttle positioning sensor? Fuel pump? Vacuum leak? O2 sensors?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 06:30 PM   #61
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Fuck, it may be the clutch slipping already. I JUST had it replaced.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 06:32 PM   #62
rjahl
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post
Fuck, it may be the clutch slipping already. I JUST had it replaced.
DTC and DSC?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 06:49 PM   #63
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
DTC and DSC?
I had the DTC off. I'm at a loss here, I don't know what else I can do.

I'm reading threads and they say its the CDV and I should toss it out....
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 06:57 PM   #64
rjahl
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post
Quote:
DTC and DSC?
I had the DTC off. I'm at a loss here, I don't know what else I can do.

I'm reading threads and they say its the CDV and I should toss it out....
Try pulling through a higher gear at slow speed. If it develops good torque and pulls evenly, I would think the problem lies with the DSC.

You can't turn off the DSC completely. The nanny police don't believe you can handle it.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 07:32 PM   #65
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

[QUOTE=rjahl;21336031]Try pulling through a higher gear at slow speed. If it develops good torque and pulls evenly, I would think the problem lies with the DSC.

You can't turn off the DSC completely. The nanny police don't believe you can handle it.[/QUOTE}

Basically, it's acting like the clutch is slipping. The Engine speed keeps going while the cars speed accelerates at normal pace. It's odd.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 07:48 PM   #66
justpete
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 328i '19 M6

Garage List
2019 BMW M6  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i  [9.00]
[QUOTE=TheAxiom;21336145]
Quote:
Try pulling through a higher gear at slow speed. If it develops good torque and pulls evenly, I would think the problem lies with the DSC.

You can't turn off the DSC completely. The nanny police don't believe you can handle it.[/QUOTE}

Basically, it's acting like the clutch is slipping. The Engine speed keeps going while the cars speed accelerates at normal pace. It's odd.
Sounds like they didn't bleed the clutch cylinder.
2011 E90 328i 6MT, BMW Aero, CF hood/boot, PI+CAI+RM+3IM+BPC, SS+CI528+ThermoTec+SS#1+2XBurns, AKG 75D eng/trans, Al/Delrin diff/RS, CM 850, UCP, CAE, AKG DSSR, DiffsOnline 3.91 30/90 LSD+BW cooler, C&R, Setrab, Accusump, AST 3-way+Swift, Aurora PR+BW spherical, Vorshlag CPs, M3 brace+UR bar, ARC-8 18x8.5, 255 R1R, RB/CSL rotors+cooling, 135i calipers, RS29, RT700, Safecraft, OMP HTE-R+804F+QD Superquadro, 6pt cage+FIA, Braille, RT DL1Mk3
Appreciate 0