E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Question about non-Logic Head Unit

07-27-2008, 09:21 PM   #1
2.3 E30 M3
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi 1988 M3

Question about non-Logic Head Unit

Do the front L/R head unit outputs in a 2006 non-Logic E90 have a full range signal?

I know the HU puts out 4 channels of 5 volt analog signal thanks to bluelake's helpful post. I'd like to run the front L/R from the HU to an Alpine PXE-H650 assuming each channel from the HU is full range. This way the Alpine doesn't have to sum the front and rear channels from the HU.

I figure the HU must be full range on all 4 channels based on the stock amp's 6 channels and the fineprint in bluelake's diagram. I think the amp has an active low pass for the 8" woofers under the seats, and the passive crossover the diagram describes puts a high pass on the tweeters. I think the front channels from the head unit must be full range because the letters on the diagram make it seem like the stock 1", 4", and 8" are on the front channel of the HU, and the rear 4" on the rear channel. When I fade my head unit to the rear the 8" woofers definitely get louder though, which makes me think they are tied to the rear channels of the HU. Will I need to connect all 4 channels from the HU to the Alpine to receive low frequencies in the signal?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-28-2008, 05:33 AM   #2
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.3 E30 M3 View Post
Do the front L/R head unit outputs in a 2006 non-Logic E90 have a full range signal?

I know the HU puts out 4 channels of 5 volt analog signal thanks to bluelake's helpful post. I'd like to run the front L/R from the HU to an Alpine PXE-H650 assuming each channel from the HU is full range. This way the Alpine doesn't have to sum the front and rear channels from the HU.

I figure the HU must be full range on all 4 channels based on the stock amp's 6 channels and the fineprint in bluelake's diagram. I think the amp has an active low pass for the 8" woofers under the seats, and the passive crossover the diagram describes puts a high pass on the tweeters. I think the front channels from the head unit must be full range because the letters on the diagram make it seem like the stock 1", 4", and 8" are on the front channel of the HU, and the rear 4" on the rear channel. When I fade my head unit to the rear the 8" woofers definitely get louder though, which makes me think they are tied to the rear channels of the HU. Will I need to connect all 4 channels from the HU to the Alpine to receive low frequencies in the signal?
Yes... you will need all the 4 output channels of the OEM HU anyway for the Alpine PXE-H650 to do its processing without issues.

Remember: you will lose the steering wheel volume control by using the Alpine PXE-H650. Check for a PAC SWI adapter for the E90, that could help in getting the volume back in the steering wheel as this PXE-H650 module has a wired remote control jack.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2008, 12:50 PM   #3
2.3 E30 M3
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi 1988 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Remember: you will lose the steering wheel volume control by using the Alpine PXE-H650.
Thank you Technic. I've learned a lot from your posts and was going to PM you this question, because you seem very knowledgeable. It's kinda funny you were the one to answer me anyway.

I was assuming the wheel volume was tied to the HU. Are you saying it's tied to the amp, or that you want the wheel volume connected to the H650 to keep the HU volume at a set level for the Imprint? All the bluetooth, track change, etc. will be ok using the H650 without the OEM amp though? I'm assuming using the 4 channels from the HU will be better than the OEM amp outs even though the H650 can take the stock amp's speaker-level outs (I think).

I saw what you are planning for an 09 M3. I'm going to go with the SWS-8 too. Will you get the 2 or 4 ohm? I've heard lower ohms means more power, but less clarity because half the ohms means half the damping. I also heard if your amps damping is >200 you don't need to worry about cutting it in half so lower resistance is better. Do you know anything about this?

I think I'm going to get two JL HD 600/4 which are similar in size to the PDX amps. Will you mount yours in the back left where the stock amp is? Will you run the output from your HU or the stock amp to the DQXS? Any experience with the H650? I think I can set perfect active crossovers for the speakers I want using the H650 and the JLs.

1988 Arctic Silver M3 - Alpine - H&R - Bilstein - Bavarian Chip - K&N - Tri-Flo - M-Sport Wheel/Shifter - AT Italia 17"
2006 TiAg 325xi - Hakkapeliitta RSi - Formula One Ceramic - Premium/Sport/Cold/Sirius - Walnut/Black Dakota - Walnut Wheel/Shifter/E-Brake
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2008, 06:24 AM   #4
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.3 E30 M3 View Post
Thank you Technic. I've learned a lot from your posts and was going to PM you this question, because you seem very knowledgeable. It's kinda funny you were the one to answer me anyway.

1) I was assuming the wheel volume was tied to the HU. Are you saying it's tied to the amp, or that you want the wheel volume connected to the H650 to keep the HU volume at a set level for the Imprint? All the bluetooth, track change, etc. will be ok using the H650 without the OEM amp though? I'm assuming using the 4 channels from the HU will be better than the OEM amp outs even though the H650 can take the stock amp's speaker-level outs (I think).

2) I saw what you are planning for an 09 M3. I'm going to go with the SWS-8 too. Will you get the 2 or 4 ohm? I've heard lower ohms means more power, but less clarity because half the ohms means half the damping. I also heard if your amps damping is >200 you don't need to worry about cutting it in half so lower resistance is better. Do you know anything about this?

3) I think I'm going to get two JL HD 600/4 which are similar in size to the PDX amps. Will you mount yours in the back left where the stock amp is? Will you run the output from your HU or the stock amp to the DQXS? Any experience with the H650? I think I can set perfect active crossovers for the speakers I want using the H650 and the JLs.
1) Because the H650 requires a set volume level from the OEM HU (thus an Alpine remote control for volume) my advice is to check for any PAC SWI adapters for Alpine HU for E9x and try to make it work with the H650 wired remote control capability. At least you will have control of the volume thru the steering wheel instead of using the Alpine remote control. The OEM HU volume still cannot be changed, though.

2) Most probably I will have a proper sub in the trunk so the SWS-8 are going to be used mostly for mid bass, so I'm not too concerned about which SWS-8 version to use (4 or 2 ohms).

3) My plan is always to retain an OEM look when I upgrade the OEM system to aftermarket so most probably will follow some examples here in this forum and get the CD Changer trunk left side trim to cover the amps and the processor.

In the HiFi system (non-Logic7) the best way to add an aftermarket amp/processor is after the OEM HU/Nav and remove the OEM amp, so that's my plan also.

Do a search for this H650 and user's experiences with it in the 'net before you finally decide to buy it. Personally, I don't like at all the idea of losing the volume and that there are not many manual adjustments to the tuning in this processor.
Appreciate 0