E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Radio briefly shuts off / SOS green light comes on

11-02-2010, 12:44 PM   #1
1997gtx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi | 08 S5 | 02 S4

Radio briefly shuts off / SOS green light comes on

I just recently got my car, and something weird just started happening...

When I first start the car with the radio on, after about 30 seconds, the radio will turn off completely, and a small green light next to the "SOS" button lights up. The light stays on for about 3 seconds ... then turns off, and the radio comes back on just fine.

No large SOS symbol with a line through it on my dash, etc...

I tried pressing the SOS button both when it lights up green for those 3 seconds, and after the light turns off, but nothing happens. I didn't connect to anyone, and no green light came on.

I'm thinking this has something to do with my phone connecting to the car's bluetooth?

Any other ideas?

Thanks~
--Adam
      11-02-2010, 01:39 PM   #2
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
When my iDrive freezes, an SOS symbol with a line through it will show up on my dash and my iDrive screen will freeze. In my case I have narrowed it down to the TCU unit which controls bluetooth and some other features.

To get rid of it, I hold both eject and the volume button down for about 30 seconds until the iDrive restarts it self.

Not the same as your case, but I wouldn't worry about it if it only happened a few times.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2010, 02:22 PM   #3
1997gtx
Lieutenant
Rep

^ Thanks. I've been finding that issue a lot when searching - but it seems to only happen with the iDrive folks.

It doesn't really impact the car at all (as it's just for a few seconds at start-up), just more of an oddity.

Also weird that my SOS button won't worry, either. What if I get in an accident?
      11-02-2010, 02:26 PM   #4
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
You don't get connected to BMW assist if you hold the SOS button?

My TCU doesn't send coordinates to BMW Assist but I still get connected to them.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2010, 02:31 PM   #5
1997gtx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ********* View Post
You don't get connected to BMW assist if you hold the SOS button?

My TCU doesn't send coordinates to BMW Assist but I still get connected to them.
Am I supposed to hold it? I just press the button in for a second and nothing happens. No green light, no anything.

Only time anything happens is when the radio shuts off and the green light on the SOS button lights up.
      11-02-2010, 03:02 PM   #6
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Yea when your using it in a non-emergency situation, you hold it for like 3 seconds or until you get connected to a rep. When you get connected just let them know your just testing it out. Usually they'll convey your coordinates, street you on, and any other relevant info.

FYI, you can also use BMW assist to get directions, info on your location, and other info.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2010, 03:34 PM   #7
1997gtx
Lieutenant
Rep

^ Cool, thanks. Appreciate the info.
      11-02-2010, 06:24 PM   #8
Brocallion
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW/Saddle Brown 335ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1997gtx View Post
I just recently got my car, and something weird just started happening...

When I first start the car with the radio on, after about 30 seconds, the radio will turn off completely, and a small green light next to the "SOS" button lights up. The light stays on for about 3 seconds ... then turns off, and the radio comes back on just fine.

No large SOS symbol with a line through it on my dash, etc...

I tried pressing the SOS button both when it lights up green for those 3 seconds, and after the light turns off, but nothing happens. I didn't connect to anyone, and no green light came on.

I'm thinking this has something to do with my phone connecting to the car's bluetooth?

Any other ideas?

Thanks~
--Adam

The same thing happened to me as well. This is the second 335i. The same problem happens with my previous, 08-335I but it resets itself automatically. It happened like 5-6 times in one year. Eventually it was ok, the problem went away and never came back. My current car is 07-335i. Everything was working fine until last monday, the SOS malfunction light came on and the power went out on the radio and navigation. I've tried to do the reset by pressing and hold both the eject buttons and the mute button together but it doesn't work. So now, my car is at New Century BMW dealership for the fix. Horrible dealership!. They gave me a lot of BS so far and has not fixed my car yet. They are trying to make me pay for the repair when the car is still under the 4 year or fifty thousand miles manufacture warrenty. They are claiming that I modded my car so the warrenty has been voided. I have not done any modding. And the previous owner of the car assure me that he has not done any modification as well. I will post again when I get further details of my car to inform you guys. And sorry for the long story.
      11-02-2010, 07:24 PM   #9
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brocallion View Post
The same thing happened to me as well. This is the second 335i. The same problem happens with my previous, 08-335I but it resets itself automatically. It happened like 5-6 times in one year. Eventually it was ok, the problem went away and never came back. My current car is 07-335i. Everything was working fine until last monday, the SOS malfunction light came on and the power went out on the radio and navigation. I've tried to do the reset by pressing and hold both the eject buttons and the mute button together but it doesn't work. So now, my car is at New Century BMW dealership for the fix. Horrible dealership!. They gave me a lot of BS so far and has not fixed my car yet. They are trying to make me pay for the repair when the car is still under the 4 year or fifty thousand miles manufacture warrenty. They are claiming that I modded my car so the warrenty has been voided. I have not done any modding. And the previous owner of the car assure me that he has not done any modification as well. I will post again when I get further details of my car to inform you guys. And sorry for the long story.
If you haven't modded the car then it was obviously the previous owner. I wouldn't beleive him unless you personally can vouch for his honesty...he lied to make a sale.

Ask the dealer when the warranty was voided....compare that to your purchase date. Also ask them what part of the warranty was voided. IIRC, the dealer cannot void the entire warranty....just the part that was modded. For example if you had a tune, your engine warranty would be void. If you added a subwoofer, your electrical warranty would be void. And in any case, the dealer must present solid evidence that the modification was the sole culprit for a malfunction. Unless they can present this evidence, I don't see how they can deny warranty work.

Also if your the second owner, then they would have had to CPO the car. If the dealer knew the warranty was voided...it wouldn't be CPO. If it was sold to you as a CPO vehicle and they are deny warranty work, you can sue them.

EDIT: Ughhhh so I realized that navigation and it's components are not covered under CPO warranty so I just typed that out for nothing....FML.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 07:22 PM   #10
1997gtx
Lieutenant
Rep

So ... new symptom ... it just started happening about two days ago ... and only does it sometimes. When I turn the car on with the radio on, it's 100% static on every channel, no matter AM or FM ... I can switch over to the CD player, and it plays just fine.

If I turn the radio off and then on, it has no impact. However, if I turn the car off and then on again, it sometimes goes back to normal and sometimes not. In the cases where the static won't go away, I turn the car off for a few minutes and start it again ... and the radio is fine.

I obviously have the feeling this is all related to the radio randomly shutting off and the green SOS light coming on next to the switch.

Any ideas?