E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > N47 unpleasant manual gearbox

07-25-2022, 01:50 PM   #1
aleksuks
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 320d xDrive E91

N47 unpleasant manual gearbox

Cut to the chase - I have a 320d xDrive manual touring, and I can't enjoy it. The gearbox is very unpleasant and stiff, difficult to operate. Despite this, the 1st gear doesn't quite get in there sometimes and I have to retry. I have 3 questions for the community:
1. The 5th and 6th gear engage beautifully, and require little persuasion. Are they easier to operate in all manual e90s, or are they the same as every gear, which would tell me the gearbox is definitely on its way out.
2. Does changing the fluid make a difference? should I just refurbish the gearbox? Or get another one with better condition?
3. Are they considered pleasant in general or not? My girlfriend's Audi
A4's manual feels so much more fun, easy, and engaging, I'm starting to want one for myself, and yet I can't believe that BMW provides a much worse driving experience than an Audi, or even a Seat Ibiza
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2022, 10:19 AM   #2
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
A fluid change won't do any harm, but your problems are more likely to be related to the selector bushings. Renew those and I'm confident your change quality will improve.
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0