E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > KW V3 Question

12-08-2016, 08:37 PM   #1
Amizzi
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335xi

KW V3 Question

Hi All,

Just recently purchased a set of used KW V3's for my 335xi.

Before installing I have sent out the springs yesterday to be powder coated since there was a little bit of surface rust on them and the paint is chipping away in certain places, should have them back tomorrow afternoon.
My question is in regards to the rear height adjustments.
On the front struts the collar has a set screw in order to keep its adjustment, however the rear does not?

I tried calling KW directly but gave up after being on hold for 40 min and I was at work. I have installed suspensions before and there has always been a set screw/s or another collar to lock together so I am a bit confused with this.
Does the adjustment mainly stay in place with the weight of the car? And if this is the case why would they have a set screw on the fronts?
I just wanted to confirm with someone else that may have this set.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!

(Front Strut with set screw to secure adjustment)

(Rear adjustment pedestal)

Also just as an FYI I needed to replace the front bump stops.
Our Canadian dollar isn't the greatest right now and on top of having to wait for new ones I shopped around and managed to find stops from Energy Suspension that fit bang on for $18 for a pair!
Just thought I would share for anyone trying to save a bit of money.
Part# 4.6103G

Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 12:23 AM   #2
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

There is no screw or locking collar on the rear height adjustment on the KWs. It stays in place by friction. Not sure why they do it like that.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 09:45 AM   #3
Fork!TheSpoonWrecker
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d - Monaco Blue Sport

Your rear adjuster would be similar to this https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-2...0e92f30f32e82/ ... You mount it where the current upper mont for your spring is ( you remove the stock one).
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 09:06 PM   #4
Amizzi
Private
Canada
Rep

Thanks for the input guys, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything or that I was nuts.

Unfortunately the link provided above did not work.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2016, 07:48 AM   #5
Fork!TheSpoonWrecker
Private
Canada
Rep

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-1...ies-2006-2012/
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2016, 10:06 AM   #6
matteblue3er
Captain
Rep
Drives: Racecar

As mentioned they are held in place by friction. The rear spring perches will always have load on them, even with the wheels off the ground. However, the fronts can be lowered to the point where the perch does not have load on it when the suspension is fully unloaded. ie when going over an aggressive dip in the road. The front struts also need to rotate with steering input where as the rears do not. My H&Rs are the same way in the rear but use a different perch design, which allows for adjustment from under the camber link.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2016, 10:08 AM   #7
matteblue3er
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fork!TheSpoonWrecker View Post
Your rear adjuster would be similar to this https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-2...0e92f30f32e82/ ... You mount it where the current upper mont for your spring is ( you remove the stock one).
Pretty sure the KW rear perches sit in the OEM lower mount. You don't remove it like you do with H&R perches.

EDIT: The KW perches sit on the top, not bottom.

Last edited by matteblue3er; 12-11-2016 at 02:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2016, 12:13 PM   #8
Amizzi
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteblue3er View Post
As mentioned they are held in place by friction. The rear spring perches will always have load on them, even with the wheels off the ground. However, the fronts can be lowered to the point where the perch does not have load on it when the suspension is fully unloaded. ie when going over an aggressive dip in the road. The front struts also need to rotate with steering input where as the rears do not. My H&Rs are the same way in the rear but use a different perch design, which allows for adjustment from under the camber link.
Thank you for the explanation!
This makes sense now why the fronts have the set screw, never took into consideration that the front assembly rotates!
I still think though it would still have been a good idea to have added some sort of locking mechanism for the rears, like really how much more effort would that have been to add a set screw....... but KW is a respected company making a great product that has worked for years I guess.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2016, 02:15 PM   #9
Fork!TheSpoonWrecker
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteblue3er View Post
Pretty sure the KW rear perches sit in the OEM lower mount. You don't remove it like you do with H&R perches.
nope from pics ive seen online they mount the same way as all the other coilovers for e90
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2016, 02:21 PM   #10
matteblue3er
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fork!TheSpoonWrecker View Post
nope from pics ive seen online they mount the same way as all the other coilovers for e90
Look again. I was wrong about the location but the design is completely different than the H&R perch you linked too. KWs mount the adjustable perch on the top. I HAVE H&R coilovers
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2016, 12:06 PM   #11
Fork!TheSpoonWrecker
Private
Canada
Rep

Thats what i said, on top. " you mount it where the current upper mont for your spring is ( you remove the stock one)." and i ment to link these ones not the ones previously https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-2...0e92f30f32e82/ They mount on top. its listed on the site too. ( i had linked these ones the first time but for some reason i must of cut a part of it out.

Last edited by Fork!TheSpoonWrecker; 12-12-2016 at 12:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2016, 10:21 PM   #12
Amizzi
Private
Canada
Rep

Thank you again guys for the input!
Just picked up my newly powder coated springs and now have all the necessary hardware/components now.
Going to attempt install this weekend .
Appreciate 1
      12-14-2016, 08:46 AM   #13
Camman
What am I doing here?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 328i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amizzi View Post
Call me crazy but aren't the shocks supposed to be extended? They look fully compressed here. Unless KW's are different, this leads me to believe the shocks are blown and need a rebuild.
      12-14-2016, 08:06 PM   #14
Amizzi
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camman View Post
Call me crazy but aren't the shocks supposed to be extended? They look fully compressed here. Unless KW's are different, this leads me to believe the shocks are blown and need a rebuild.
I know gas filled shocks will remain extended but I didn't think fluid filled shocks were necessarily supposed too?

Shocks themselves were bone dry without any visible leaks and there seems to still be a fair amount of resistance when attempting to compress them.

Maybe someone with these particular shocks can confirm?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 03:32 PM   #15
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTECaddict View Post
There is no screw or locking collar on the rear height adjustment on the KWs. It stays in place by friction. Not sure why they do it like that.
Lots of height adjusters are that way. There is no way that adjuster will turn under 500+ lbs of spring tension.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2016, 02:11 PM   #16
Amizzi
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
Lots of height adjusters are that way. There is no way that adjuster will turn under 500+ lbs of spring tension.
Thank you , I was just curious and wanted to confirm the reasoning that's all .
Makes total sense that the load would keep them from moving out of adjustment .
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 11:07 AM   #17
Camman
What am I doing here?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 328i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amizzi View Post
I know gas filled shocks will remain extended but I didn't think fluid filled shocks were necessarily supposed too?

Shocks themselves were bone dry without any visible leaks and there seems to still be a fair amount of resistance when attempting to compress them.

Maybe someone with these particular shocks can confirm?
Ah, well if that's true then I will learn something new today. If it's giving resistance then that's always a good sign.