E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > MHD connect difficulties

06-28-2020, 11:05 AM   #1
x77md
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: golf tsi

Hi all, I ended up cracking the screen somehow on my old Samsung phone I was using for MHD and bought a Lenovo E7 tablet from Argos to replace it. I haven't actually flashed the car since last year as it was running just fine but I thought I'd take the burbles off as it can get annoying.

I bought the tablet, signed into google play & voila the mhd flasher isn't anywhere to be seen on the google play store. When I try to download via the google play link on the mhd site it takes me to the play store but states 'this version is unsuitable with your device' - which I found odd as this tablet was like android 8-Something (new enough), way newer than the Samsung phone. So then after a few searches on google I found that I could download the apk file for mhd flasher and use it that way. So I did so and I downloaded the app, signed in so I could redeem my current licenses.

I then get my cable shack KDCAN cable, connect it to the usb-otg cable and connect up to the tablet so I can restore the licenses through the app. However, it doesn't seem to be connecting with the car.

I have 2 x usb-otg cables and swapped them over thinking one could be shoddy and the other could work but the same thing happens.

I notice the KDCAN turning red when connected to the OBD port but after a while goes dark - this made me think it could be the cable but I wanted to get the opinions of some of you guys who have had anything similar happen.

So I think that it could be one of three issues:

- The tablet is not good enough? (Should have downloaded in google play store from the off)
- The KDCAN cable is faulty
- Both OTG cables are faulty
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 11:43 AM   #2
x77md
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Just to add here. Turns out the tablet may not be OTG compatible and this seems to be the case for a few tablets including 7" & 8" Samsung tablets apparently.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 12:57 PM   #3
Soden82
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
That seems to be right. Also those KDCAN cables can be a bitch. Some days mine never wanted to connect no matter how hard I'd try.

Honestly, spend the $70 on the mhd wireless adapter and save yourself from the headaches
MHD tuned
VRSF Race IC
DCI
ATM exhaust
Appreciate 1
E92only82.00
      06-29-2020, 02:03 PM   #4
x77md
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soden82 View Post
That seems to be right. Also those KDCAN cables can be a bitch. Some days mine never wanted to connect no matter how hard I'd try.

Honestly, spend the $70 on the mhd wireless adapter and save yourself from the headaches
This sounds like a stupid Q and probably is:

With the wireless adapter - could I just use this tablet that doesn't support OTG and connect via Wifi/Bluetooth?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 03:59 PM   #5
Soden82
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by x77md View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soden82 View Post

This sounds like a stupid Q and probably is:

With the wireless adapter - could I just use this tablet that doesn't support OTG and connect via Wifi/Bluetooth?
Absolutely
MHD tuned
VRSF Race IC
DCI
ATM exhaust
Appreciate 1
x77md82.00
      07-01-2020, 06:33 AM   #6
x77md
Second Lieutenant
Rep

In the end I bought a fire tablet to try my luck with the cables & it's working... at £70 it does a pretty decent job & installing play store and restoring licenses was not hard at all!
Appreciate 0