E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Bimmertech PP82DSP for Hifi system

10-05-2015, 04:19 PM   #89
e90bmw328i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaigoss69 View Post
Now you're talking big bucks. Like I said, a 15 through the ski-hole will be the best bang for your buck, by far.
No. There is certainly no way I can get to Don to work on my car given I am in south. Just wanted to see his work. I read another review raving about his work in diyma on a CTS I think (pictures were missing on that thread).
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 04:33 PM   #90
Wongway
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328i xdrive

Honestly, to keep things relatively simple in an E90, my personal vote is to go with upgraded component set + HiFi or Jehnert woofers under the seats.

Couple it with something like the Helix Match PP82DSP and you'd have the makings of a great sound system.

A subwoofer should be the last thing to worry about.

After all the above is done and you're happy with the sound, THEN consider adding a subwoofer if needed.

All you should be doing with a subwoofer is blending a low end presence to everything that was mentioned. Remember, a subwoofer should ideally be only playing below 80hz to 20hz. (Realistically, below even 80hz... probably more like 45hz to 20hz)

If you're not happy with Component set + midbass woofers, then you're doing something wrong.

That is, of course, my opinion... but I think for most owners, should be the path to start with.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 04:50 PM   #91
Nelson@BimmerTech
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC

Quote:
For mid bass duty the Jehnerts will not be a huge improvement over the HiFi woofers.
i disagree, it will be a huge improvement. i've install a couple of them and my clients and i notice the improvement immediately.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 04:52 PM   #92
Nelson@BimmerTech
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wongway View Post
Honestly, to keep things relatively simple in an E90, my personal vote is to go with upgraded component set + HiFi or Jehnert woofers under the seats.

Couple it with something like the Helix Match PP82DSP and you'd have the makings of a great sound system.

A subwoofer should be the last thing to worry about.

After all the above is done and you're happy with the sound, THEN consider adding a subwoofer if needed.

All you should be doing with a subwoofer is blending a low end presence to everything that was mentioned. Remember, a subwoofer should ideally be only playing below 80hz to 20hz. (Realistically, below even 80hz... probably more like 45hz to 20hz)

If you're not happy with Component set + midbass woofers, then you're doing something wrong.

That is, of course, my opinion... but I think for most owners, should be the path to start with.
+1. You're 100 percent right.
Appreciate 1
      10-05-2015, 07:26 PM   #93
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

I disagree with you guys. In a system where the underseat woofers would be getting 55 W per side, I don't see where there will be a big difference between the OEM hi-fi drivers and the Jehnerts. I have heard both, with aftermarket amplification, and I did not notice a significant difference. There is a difference, yes, but nothing that would make me want to spend $500 extra given the moderate amount of amplification available. The shortcomings of the hi-fi woofers can be partially compensated with properly applied equalization.

If this was a system with 150 W per channel available to each woofer, it would be a different story, and the difference between the two would surely be more noticeable. I myself have over 400 W available per side to each 10 inch MOrel woofer. It sounds great, but even those 10 inch morels (custom vented to the outside of the car) can never replace a trunk subwoofer, never!

Finally, I would like to add that most people who say that they do not need a trunk sub have likely never heard a properly setup and tuned system with a subwoofer, and simply do not know what they are missing.
      10-05-2015, 10:42 PM   #94
6spdcoupe
tends to get irritable
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 F15,18 M550,20 Highlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90bmw328i View Post
No. There is certainly no way I can get to Don to work on my car given I am in south. Just wanted to see his work. I read another review raving about his work in diyma on a CTS I think (pictures were missing on that thread).
Completely understood. I don't think anyone ( I definitely am not! lol) expecting you to go across the country for such a job. I think it is just some solid advice being throw out to ya.

AC Schnitzer/Eibach/M Performance/RaceChip/Compustar/Drone/BimmerTech/FireTV/Helix/Dynaudio/Micro-Precision/Jehnert/Audiomobile
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 10:45 PM   #95
6spdcoupe
tends to get irritable
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I disagree with you guys. In a system where the underseat woofers would be getting 55 W per side, I don't see where there will be a big difference between the OEM hi-fi drivers and the Jehnerts. I have heard both, with aftermarket amplification, and I did not notice a significant difference. There is a difference, yes, but nothing that would make me want to spend $500 extra given the moderate amount of amplification available. The shortcomings of the hi-fi woofers can be partially compensated with properly applied equalization.

If this was a system with 150 W per channel available to each woofer, it would be a different story, and the difference between the two would surely be more noticeable. I myself have over 400 W available per side to each 10 inch MOrel woofer. It sounds great, but even those 10 inch morels (custom vented to the outside of the car) can never replace a trunk subwoofer, never!

Finally, I would like to add that most people who say that they do not need a trunk sub have likely never heard a properly setup and tuned system with a subwoofer, and simply do not know what they are missing.
Then we can all agree to disagree. Those of us that have actually experienced it (literally dozens of times) would remain in our corner.

Before you throw the biased card because I happen to sell them-
I don't own a BMW so they are clearly not in my car.
I Never, Ever attempt to sell or push products on anyone.
This is not just my voice speaking, but that of dozens of clients
both local and afar.

AC Schnitzer/Eibach/M Performance/RaceChip/Compustar/Drone/BimmerTech/FireTV/Helix/Dynaudio/Micro-Precision/Jehnert/Audiomobile
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 10:48 PM   #96
6spdcoupe
tends to get irritable
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrelnik View Post
Now that Don joined I can say he was my installer and did a terrific job with the rear deck. Personally I didn't it was crazy expensive but there is no way the PP82 can power the subs, so you need to add an amp in between the PP82 and the subs.

I drove about 2 hours to Don cause it's tough to find a guy you can trust with this.
Thanks Mike ! You have to admit though- the PP82 did hold it's own fairly well when it was by itself !

Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 10:51 PM   #97
6spdcoupe
tends to get irritable
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyboy View Post
I just wanted to vouch for Dons work. I had them install an IB setup to the rear deck lid of my E90. And they did an awesome job. The rear deck looks better than before after they wrapped it and the sub is barely visible with the trunk open.

Oh and it sounds great.

Just my .02!!
Thanks Danny ! Too bad we can't just make some sort of universal solution and ship them out. lol

Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 11:27 PM   #98
Nelson@BimmerTech
Banned
Rep

Quote:

Were you using your ms8 when you did the comparison or another DSP?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 02:38 AM   #99
Wongway
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328i xdrive

Quote:

I've been around the audio scene here and there throughout the years. I'm no expert, but I've seen and heard my fair share. I'm not exactly saying that people don't need a trunk subwoofer, but by and large, I'm saying that the majority of folk out there really will be fine with a properly done front soundstage with a good midbass down to about 45hz or so.

Yes, I agree with you, there's something sublime about a properly done subwoofer. However, knowing what I've seen from the average_joe_001 out there, given the money involved, plus packaging restraints, I'd be willing to bet that if 20,000hz --->45hz were done right, a good majority of folk out there would stop right there.
edit:
The reality is that a good majority of the population are either ignorant about audio, or aren't willing to spend the money to do it right. Those that are interested in quality audio are really a small fraction of the cars that are bought out there. Most people are frankly just fine with the random Bose or whatever audio the manufacturer deems "HiFi"

The reality (for a lot of folk out there) is that if you do 45hz--->20hz right in our cars, it can potentially cost almost as much as doing 20,000hz--->45hz right. It's simply a matter of return for $$ spent.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 07:23 AM   #100
Dannyboy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90

Quote:
Everytime I come here, you guys pollute my brain into spending more money on my car audio.

I am already resisting the temptation to install Jehnerts in my underseats convincing myself that I will not do it unless I hear something different from what i currently have.

Yeah I know the feeling!!

Oh BTW I have the Jehnert underseats also, and they sound amazing!!...No pressure LOL!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 07:24 AM   #101
Dannyboy
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Do you mind posting some pics of ur trunk sub install? Would love to see what the fuss is all about.
I can do that, however, there isnt much to see. I can post a pic of the speaker and the rear deck.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 07:26 AM   #102
Dannyboy
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson@BimmerTech View Post
i disagree, it will be a huge improvement. i've install a couple of them and my clients and i notice the improvement immediately.
+1
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 07:49 AM   #103
Dannyboy
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdcoupe View Post
Thanks Danny ! Too bad we can't just make some sort of universal solution and ship them out. lol
Yeah!! Have people mail in their rear decks!!! LOL

Hey I have to come out and see you about what we discussed via email a couple weeks ago. I've just been so busy!!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 08:02 AM   #104
6spdcoupe
tends to get irritable
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah!! Have people mail in their rear decks!!! LOL

Hey I have to come out and see you about what we discussed via email a couple weeks ago. I've just been so busy!!
lol yea, that wouldn't get complicated !

Anytime bud, you know we're here.

Appreciate 0
      10-08-2015, 09:08 AM   #105
e90bmw328i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 330i

I need some guidance from you experts out there as to why I my tweeter is crackling. This only happens on the passenger side front door tweeter. It is a Seas Prestige H1396 which is connected using the MBQuart mids and crossover. This crackling noise is down to 3 or 4 songs in my collection and also during phone calls. The phone call crackling is really really obvious. Wonder if there is some settings in the 82DSP tune (F30 BSW tune from Nelson) that can help it go away or is the tweeter blown.

I have played apple music and also songs from MKTO, Renegades, Maroon V, etc. None of them crackle though.

[EDIT]: I played the same songs that crackle in the car using my headphones. I hear the same crackling noise. So its definitely not the speakers in the car. The audio quality is prolly messed up. Although I still need to figure out the reason for phone call crackle.

Last edited by e90bmw328i; 10-08-2015 at 09:53 AM.. Reason: Updated the cracking songs info
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2015, 12:17 PM   #106
Dannyboy
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I need some guidance from you experts out there as to why I my tweeter is crackling. This only happens on the passenger side front door tweeter. It is a Seas Prestige H1396 which is connected using the MBQuart mids and crossover. This crackling noise is down to 3 or 4 songs in my collection and also during phone calls. The phone call crackling is really really obvious. Wonder if there is some settings in the 82DSP tune (F30 BSW tune from Nelson) that can help it go away or is the tweeter blown.

I have played apple music and also songs from MKTO, Renegades, Maroon V, etc. None of them crackle though.

[EDIT]: I played the same songs that crackle in the car using my headphones. I hear the same crackling noise. So its definitely not the speakers in the car. The audio quality is prolly messed up. Although I still need to figure out the reason for phone call crackle.

I'm assuming this is installed in a BMW based on your user name.

I'm having a similar issue, but my crackling is coming from the passenger mid. Its also installed in an E90.

The crackling noise is annoying and comes and goes. I wonder if its an issue with our wiring?

Are you using the factory wires or have you run new speaker wires?

I know the power wire runs on the passenger side, I'm wondering if the factory wiring is run on the same side and if it's picking up noise from there?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2015, 12:34 PM   #107
skrelnik
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Thanks Mike ! You have to admit though- the PP82 did hold it's own fairly well when it was by itself !
I do admit the PP82 powered the subs (275w, I think) well, and you didn't want to upsell other products to me until I listened to the system. A wise man once told me car audio upgrades are addicting, and you were correct. The MA40 amp is great and the subs pound nicely.

Next up is to install the remote control but I'm holding off until I pick up a rear view camera and install both at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2015, 12:47 PM   #108
6spdcoupe
tends to get irritable
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrelnik View Post
I do admit the PP82 powered the subs (275w, I think) well, and you didn't want to upsell other products to me until I listened to the system. A wise man once told me car audio upgrades are addicting, and you were correct. The MA40 amp is great and the subs pound nicely.

Next up is to install the remote control but I'm holding off until I pick up a rear view camera and install both at the same time.
One thing I Absolutely Hate doing is 'upselling'. You know this already though.

I assume (hope) you'll be doing the Bimmertech camera ? We do a Lot of those ! Right Nelson ?

Appreciate 1
      10-08-2015, 12:48 PM   #109
6spdcoupe
tends to get irritable
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm assuming this is installed in a BMW based on your user name.

I'm having a similar issue, but my crackling is coming from the passenger mid. Its also installed in an E90.

The crackling noise is annoying and comes and goes. I wonder if its an issue with our wiring?

Are you using the factory wires or have you run new speaker wires?

I know the power wire runs on the passenger side, I'm wondering if the factory wiring is run on the same side and if it's picking up noise from there?
Shouldn't be a wiring issue, but let's get it checked out Danny !

Appreciate 0
      10-08-2015, 02:00 PM   #110
Dannyboy
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Shouldn't be a wiring issue, but let's get it checked out Danny !
Man this is driving me nuts Don!!! LMAO.

Next weekend works for me. Expect to see my ugly mug next Saturday!!

The thing I'm worried about is not being able to replicate the problem, since it happens intermittently.
Appreciate 0