E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > 2011 E90 Base Install Plan

05-13-2016, 11:19 PM   #1
hdmark
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G35

2011 E90 Base Install Plan

Good evening all!

I've been browsing the forums for about a week now learning about the base audio system and all of the options for upgrading. I think i have my upgrade path and i wanted to run it by people to see if it makes sense/will actually work.

I do want to add that maintaining the rear speakers is a must. I did a full install in my previous car and played around with just a front soundstage and i didnt like it.

1- I plan to attempt to recode my stereo to HiFi (I have CIC). Going to do some other fun coding stuff while im there

2- Replace front (probably match MS42C, but just realized they are coated paper...) and rear speakers with either 4" components or 2-ways

3- Replace underseats with earthquakes most likely

4- buy all of technics harnesses/speaker adapters

5- buy a 5 amp - a channel per front/rear, bridge the underseats. use technics 4 or 6 channel adapter. (channel would use y splitters on the back two channels after the RCA's)

6- optional- split the underseat set for a set of channels to a mono channel amp too to power a sub or set of subs into a box in the trunk.

im liking this amp but it doesnt have balanced differential inputs. is that necessary? or will it work without and it just will lose some clarity (which most likely wont be noticed unless i have REALLY good speakers)
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500MRVV...-MRV-V500.html.

So does all of this sound good? or am i way off?

Thank you!!!

Last edited by hdmark; 05-13-2016 at 11:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 11:26 PM   #2
GATORB8
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [9.50]
To make up for the small components, you'll have to play the underseats pretty high into the midbass range. If you bridge the underseats, you'll create a mono signal and lose any stereo imaging in that mid-bass range.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2016, 01:39 AM   #3
hdmark
Private First Class
Rep

Ah okay.

Well now im completely lost because this path was going to be around 1000$ w.o the sub.

I could also just go with the alpine upgrade kit for 500 and then toss in a sub for another 500 when i want to.

Coming from a system with 2 rockford 10"s, infinity kappa components and rears, will the alpine sound like garbage? will adding a sub help?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2016, 10:08 AM   #4
GATORB8
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdmark View Post
im liking this amp but it doesnt have balanced differential inputs. is that necessary? or will it work without and it just will lose some clarity (which most likely wont be noticed unless i have REALLY good speakers)
The PAC LP7-2 should be able to convert the differential balanced inputs for about $20 for the two channel, may be a few bucks more for the 4.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2016, 10:14 AM   #5
GATORB8
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [9.50]
Quote:
Ah okay.

Well now im completely lost because this path was going to be around 1000$ w.o the sub.

I could also just go with the alpine upgrade kit for 500 and then toss in a sub for another 500 when i want to.

Coming from a system with 2 rockford 10"s, infinity kappa components and rears, will the alpine sound like garbage? will adding a sub help?
Recoding throws a little wrench in it, but there are a couple options still:

1. One 4 channel amp for Front and Rears, one two channel amp for underseat
2. One 4 channel amp, then find an adjustable crossover and run the front doors and underseats on a single pair of channels (not my favorite idea)
3. Six channel amp
4. One amp in the 4x100 range to run the front doors and underseats active, and a cheap second 2x25 or something to run the rear.
5. One 4 channel, bridge the front an rears on two channels, underseats on two channels (loose fading, not my favorite idea)

If you don't recode, you can just leave the rears on HU power.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2016, 12:04 PM   #6
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

One 4 channel amp won't run the fronts active.

Active means a channel per speaker location you would need
6 as the tweeter is considered a speaker location.
2 tweeter 2 doors 2 floors.
Since the helix 82dsp has 8 channels you could run the fronts
active and still have two channels left for the rears.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2016, 12:09 PM   #7
hdmark
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GATORB8 View Post
Recoding throws a little wrench in it, but there are a couple options still:

1. One 4 channel amp for Front and Rears, one two channel amp for underseat
2. One 4 channel amp, then find an adjustable crossover and run the front doors and underseats on a single pair of channels (not my favorite idea)
3. Six channel amp
4. One amp in the 4x100 range to run the front doors and underseats active, and a cheap second 2x25 or something to run the rear.
5. One 4 channel, bridge the front an rears on two channels, underseats on two channels (loose fading, not my favorite idea)

If you don't recode, you can just leave the rears on HU power.
so ive been looking at this more and im liking option 3 using a JL XD600/6 with potentially Clarion EQS755 to throw in an equalizer. I would split the front channel output from the clarion to the amp for the fronts/underseats, and then grab the rear channel for the rear deck. that would give me 6 powered speakers (not sure what spekaers i would throw in) plus a sub out when im ready to add a second amp for a sub if i ever wanted.

Or option 5. potentially still with the clarion or some equalizer. i dont mind fade too much honestly. and that would let me save 100-200 on the amp that id use towards speakers
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2016, 02:43 PM   #8
GATORB8
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
Active means a channel per speaker location you would need
6 as the tweeter is considered a speaker location.
2 tweeter 2 doors 2 floors.
Since the helix 82dsp has 8 channels you could run the fronts
active and still have two channels left for the rears.
Regarding "option 4"

I meant creating an active xover between the underseat midbass and door set by using the separate amplifier channels and their xovers in lieu of the factory parallel rudimentary passive setup. It wasn't my intention to imply this would give him active control of the xover point between the 4" mids and tweet (full 3-way active front stage). Although, with his base single 4" door woofer this would have given him a 2-way active setup (albeit not a very good one).

The clearer description probably would have been describing the channel configuration i meant to describe.

ctuna has added option 6, an 8 channel amp.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2016, 02:53 PM   #9
GATORB8
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [9.50]
Quote:
so ive been looking at this more and im liking option 3 using a JL XD600/6 with potentially Clarion EQS755 to throw in an equalizer. I would split the front channel output from the clarion to the amp for the fronts/underseats, and then grab the rear channel for the rear deck. that would give me 6 powered speakers (not sure what spekaers i would throw in) plus a sub out when im ready to add a second amp for a sub if i ever wanted.

Or option 5. potentially still with the clarion or some equalizer. i dont mind fade too much honestly. and that would let me save 100-200 on the amp that id use towards speakers
If you recode to hifi, I don't know that I would necessarily add the clarion to the mix. I've always kind of felt that every device you add is a chance for the introduction of noise, if you don't need it, leave it out. The JL is capable of performing all of the crossover work you need (excluding the crossover for your front door mids and tweeters, which would be performed by the component set's passive xover).
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2016, 09:11 PM   #10
hdmark
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GATORB8 View Post
If you recode to hifi, I don't know that I would necessarily add the clarion to the mix. I've always kind of felt that every device you add is a chance for the introduction of noise, if you don't need it, leave it out. The JL is capable of performing all of the crossover work you need (excluding the crossover for your front door mids and tweeters, which would be performed by the component set's passive xover).
Hmm okay. Then ya i think I'm aiming for the jl 6 channel option. There's one on ebay right now for a good price. I guess I have to figure out howhat to code to hifi now lol
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2016, 02:37 PM   #11
Larrye90
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010bmwe90

So a base radio can be recoded to hifi. What does it do ? Do it rase the watt output?

And well a harness where would be a good place to get one. The one that has RCA's coming out ???
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2016, 04:51 PM   #12
GATORB8
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrye90 View Post
So a base radio can be recoded to hifi. What does it do ? Do it rase the watt output?

And well a harness where would be a good place to get one. The one that has RCA's coming out ???
Actually the opposite, it changes the HU speaker level outputs of the base system to RCA/Low Level outputs. The real benefit would be that it bypasses the equalization the base system uses to try to make up for the tweeterless/low power setup.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2016, 05:05 PM   #13
Larrye90
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GATORB8
Quote:

Actually the opposite, it changes the HU speaker level outputs of the base system to RCA/Low Level outputs. The real benefit would be that it bypasses the equalization the base system uses to try to make up for the tweeterless/low power setup.
So since I have a base then I don't need to recode it then right?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2016, 05:07 PM   #14
Larrye90
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrye90
Quote:
Quote:

I still need a harness lol
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2016, 06:27 PM   #15
GATORB8
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [9.50]
Quote:
Quote:
You do not "need" to recode, it is just an option for a cleaner base signal.

If you can't get a hold of technic, you can make your own 2/4 harness and use either an amp with speaker level inputs or an LOC to provide RCAs to an amp.

As far as I can gather, here are the current connectors, they've gotten expensive:
https://www.ecstuning.com/ES2994848/ (x2, This should include the pins)
https://www.ecstuning.com/ES1599429/ (x2, no pins)
https://www.ecstuning.com/ES2538005/ (this should be enough pins for the empty connector above)

Here's the LOC I'm using: http://www.amazon.com/PAC-LP7-2-L-O-...keywords=lp7-2
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2016, 08:19 PM   #16
Larrye90
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You do not "need" to recode, it is just an option for a cleaner base signal.

If you can't get a hold of technic, you can make your own 2/4 harness and use either an amp with speaker level inputs or an LOC to provide RCAs to an amp.

As far as I can gather, here are the current connectors, they've gotten expensive:
https://www.ecstuning.com/ES2994848/ (x2, This should include the pins)
https://www.ecstuning.com/ES1599429/ (x2, no pins)
https://www.ecstuning.com/ES2538005/ (this should be enough pins for the empty connector above)

Here's the LOC I'm using: http://www.amazon.com/PAC-LP7-2-L-O-...keywords=lp7-2
Ok so one option.

6- Amp idk but I'm thinking jk audio

4" and tweeter front
Rear speakers and tweeter
Underseat sws8

Each one in its channel

So that's 6

Run wire from each speaker to the amp .

I really didn't want to run wire from each speaker, work that I wasn't looking forward but I know if I just plug and play after a month or two I'm going to be like why didn't u just take the extra step and do it right . Lol

So I'm going to need 2 RCA's. One for front and one for back. I wonder, can I buy a male and female adapter like a extension . So I can cut that and get the RCA's from their.

Or like the clips for the speaker wire do they sell just the male and female part of the radio harness and then I'll just add the wires to it and make my own.

I'm going to look this up my self too but if anyone knows anything about this stuff lets us know
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2016, 09:42 PM   #17
hdmark
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Ok so one option.

4" and tweeter front
Underseat sws8

Each one in its channel

So that's 6

I really didn't want to run wire from each speaker, work that I wasn't looking forward but I know if I just plug and play after a month or two I'm going to be like why didn't u just take the extra step and do it right . Lol

So I'm going to need 2 RCA's. One for front and one for back. I wonder, can I buy a male and female adapter like a extension . So I can cut that and get the RCA's from their.

Or like the clips for the speaker wire do they sell just the male and female part of the radio harness and then I'll just add the wires to it and make my own.

I'm going to look this up my self too but if anyone knows anything about this stuff lets us know
Thanks
are you saying plug n play isnt the right way to do it?

you do know that the speaker wires are already run through your car and it will make 0 difference whatsoever if you use the current wiring or replace it with your own wires right?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2016, 09:58 PM   #18
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Base system has no wiring to the trunk for amp.

That is one of the reasons the Technic Harness make things
easier. You can find the wiring to the other speaker and splice
or tap into it if you know what your doing.

It is strongly suggested you do something about the bad eq for the
front speakers weather it be a recode, a cleansweep or a dsp.

A recode changes the speaker level outs to low level preamp signals.

The following documentation tells you the basics

http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...1&d=1411521234

Other speaker or amps maybe used depending on taste and budget.

Last edited by ctuna; 05-15-2016 at 10:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2016, 10:55 PM   #19
GATORB8
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [9.50]
Quote:
Ok so one option.

4" and tweeter front
I wouldn't worry about full components for the rear(would require cutting or new trim for the tweets), either leave the rear or do a coax like the vibes.
Quote:
Underseat sws8

Each one in its channel

So that's 6

You will be fine pushing 100wrms through the stock wiring, if you want to confirm bcae has a calculator. Don't waste your time running door speaker wires.

Quote:

2 pairs of RCAs? Depends if you are amping the rears? You shouldn't need a Y adapter in this scenario if that's what you're asking.

Quote:

Thanks
I'm sure they do, repinning and creating a fully wired HU harness would be a PITA, part of why technic is such an asset if he's available. If you're not recoding and don't amp the rears, you don't need to fcuk with the radio harness, just tap the underseats.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2016, 11:08 PM   #20
Larrye90
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Ok so one option.

4" and tweeter front
I wouldn't worry about full components for the rear(would require cutting or new trim for the tweets), either leave the rear or do a coax like the vibes.
Quote:
Underseat sws8

Each one in its channel

So that's 6

You will be fine pushing 100wrms through the stock wiring, if you want to confirm bcae has a calculator. Don't waste your time running door speaker wires.

Quote:

2 pairs of RCAs? Depends if you are a ping the rears? You shouldn't need a Y adapter in this scenario if that's what you're asking.

Quote:

Thanks
I'm sure they do, repinning and creating a fully wired HU harness would be a PITA, part of why technic is such an asset if he's available. If you're not recoding and don't amp the rears, you don't need to fcuk with the radio harness, just tap the underseats.
I was thinking of taping to the Underseat speakers but I read that it's too weak of a signal but I'm guessing it's the same as from the harness .
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2016, 11:38 PM   #21
GATORB8
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [9.50]
Quote:
I was thinking of taping to the Underseat speakers but I read that it's too weak of a signal but I'm guessing it's the same as from the harness .
Grabbing the signal there is fine.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2016, 11:46 PM   #22
Larrye90
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna
That is one of the reasons the Technic Harness make things
easier. You can find the wiring to the other speaker and splice
or tap into it if you know what your doing.

It is strongly suggested you do something about the bad eq for the
front speakers weather it be a recode, a cleansweep or a dsp.

A recode changes the speaker level outs to low level preamp signals.

The following documentation tells you the basics

http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...1&d=1411521234

Other speaker or amps maybe used depending on taste and budget.
Thank u I'm going to read the book
Appreciate 0