E90Post

ECS BMW

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Custom Fab e90 LCI kidney grills to Pre-lci bumper

08-05-2019, 03:29 PM   #1
kgovan32
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW E91

Custom Fab e90 LCI kidney grills to Pre-lci bumper

I got a question for all the helpful members here.

I recently purchased an M3 rep for my e91 pre lci, and of course after paint and mounting i realized i wish i had done an LCI bumper.

this now raises my question, right below the kidney grills everything should be exactly the same in terms of width at base, etc... shouldn't i be able to cut the kidney grill section off an LCI bumper and i can do some body work to make it fit with the Pre-Lci bumper? then i can get the lci hood.

obviously measurements would have to be exact, but has anyone has experience doing this? i dont see why it wouldnt work...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 04:59 PM   #2
gamesfrager
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Because the level of experience involved, not to mention time; most people would get OEM LCI parts.

You need to do filler, sanding, painting etc, and each stage needs to be perfect otherwise it's going to stare at you every time, and you're going to hate it.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 09:46 PM   #3
kgovan32
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamesfrager View Post
Because the level of experience involved, not to mention time; most people would get OEM LCI parts.

You need to do filler, sanding, painting etc, and each stage needs to be perfect otherwise it's going to stare at you every time, and you're going to hate it.
I actually repaired my rear bumper with filler and I resprayed it. I have experience with body work, that's why I'm thinking it can't be that difficult to do, I just wanna make sure I'm not missing some spec wise
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 12:03 AM   #4
bluewater328
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

What are you starting with? That might be possible, but seems like a LOT of work. LCI bumpers have different undertrays and bolt positions so that's a thing too - or maybe a better reason for your line of thought.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 04:37 PM   #5
kgovan32
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewater328 View Post
What are you starting with? That might be possible, but seems like a LOT of work. LCI bumpers have different undertrays and bolt positions so that's a thing too - or maybe a better reason for your line of thought.
That's why I figured it wouldn't be too hard to mend the two pieces. I have a m3 rep front bumper pre lci and if I find a crashed lci, I could take the hood and top portion of the grill (picture in original post) , and I would have a pre-lci mounted bumper with lci kidney grills and lci hood, I'm just curious if anyone has taken this route? It would obviously be better had I gotten an lci bumper but we are past that so I'm trying to find solutions lol
Appreciate 0