E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Engine Codes and Airbag Light

08-20-2019, 07:12 PM   #1
PARANOlD
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Sapphire Black

Engine Codes and Airbag Light

So my build is coming along, got the exhaust installed, just installed the Boost Concepts 450 Walbro fuel pump to support ethanol mix, upgraded the injectors to series 12, did the valve cover and gasket - I'm running the E30 tune the car is running great (aside from some leaky turbo seals).

Airbag light came on and I was getting slow cranks so I installed an AGM battery about 6 months ago and never re-coded it for AGM charging. At first, airbag light went away. For the past 3 months, the airbag light has been on. The first time this happened I simply replaced the battery with this aftermarket, agm 95ah and it went away.

Car has interior LEDs and had a steering wheel airbag recall done. Airbag light was off when I got it back from the dealership after the recall. Things I have tried:

1. Used NCSExpert to re-code for 90ah_agm.
2. INPA said 50% so I maxed out the battery with a 15amp fast charger.
3. Went through the BST steps to find out the wire is missing from the battery area. Probably hacked, but worked before.

The two codes I'm getting are these:

93B0 - Head airbag, left
A66E - Interior lighting or FZD below threshold

I ordered a used FZD from ebay for cheap and I'm going to try swapping mine out and see if anything changes. I really don't want to spend $450 for one of these things from the dealer (part # 61319225537). Starting to wonder if the actual airbag connection is bad, but have the suspicion the LEDs caused this somehow.

That airbag light is the most annoying goddam thing on the console, and it will prevent inspection. As far as I know there's no way to code it out. Any ideas welcome.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 12:58 AM   #2
tmo24
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARANOlD View Post
So my build is coming along, got the exhaust installed, just installed the Boost Concepts 450 Walbro fuel pump to support ethanol mix, upgraded the injectors to series 12, did the valve cover and gasket - I'm running the E30 tune the car is running great (aside from some leaky turbo seals).

Airbag light came on and I was getting slow cranks so I installed an AGM battery about 6 months ago and never re-coded it for AGM charging. At first, airbag light went away. For the past 3 months, the airbag light has been on. The first time this happened I simply replaced the battery with this aftermarket, agm 95ah and it went away.

Car has interior LEDs and had a steering wheel airbag recall done. Airbag light was off when I got it back from the dealership after the recall. Things I have tried:

1. Used NCSExpert to re-code for 90ah_agm.
2. INPA said 50% so I maxed out the battery with a 15amp fast charger.
3. Went through the BST steps to find out the wire is missing from the battery area. Probably hacked, but worked before.

The two codes I'm getting are these:

93B0 - Head airbag, left
A66E - Interior lighting or FZD below threshold

I ordered a used FZD from ebay for cheap and I'm going to try swapping mine out and see if anything changes. I really don't want to spend $450 for one of these things from the dealer (part # 61319225537). Starting to wonder if the actual airbag connection is bad, but have the suspicion the LEDs caused this somehow.

That airbag light is the most annoying goddam thing on the console, and it will prevent inspection. As far as I know there's no way to code it out. Any ideas welcome.
Turn off the car. Unplug the yellow airbag connector under the passenger seat. Plug back in. Clear codes. See what happens. It worked for me with a random airbag light that wouldn't clear. Good luck.

2007 335i Jet Black e90 6MT - Eibachs, magnaflow exhaust, carbon hood, short shift kit, some other random stuff - being sold somewhere sometime soon probably

2010 335i AW e90 6 AT Msport - The GF took this one over... JB4, PE exhaust, Koni yellows/Eibachs, pink badges, fuzzy steering wheel cover ?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 09:26 PM   #3
PARANOlD
Private
Rep

Holy fucking shit that worked. I had just replaced the FZD and recoded it to my car, changed the rear light cluster for the interior lights, and had BOTH of my curtain airbags ripped open only to find out there was some bypass hack in place for those.

I was about to order replacement curtain airbags and start swapping out my aftermarket AGM battery for the stock lead battery.

MY CODES ARE CLEAR, THIS SHOULD BE STEP 1 ON CURTAIN AIRBAG FAULTS FOR BOTH SIDES!

Thanks for the suggestion, now I can continue with my coilover install without worrying about electrical issues!

Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 05:02 PM   #4
PARANOlD
Private
Rep

Airbag fault is back, fml. Tried same procedure, airbag light still there. All of this probably has something to do with the god forsaken aftermarket AGM battery (which I have coded as 90ah_agm btw).

I'll try a full recharge and do the underseat unplug/re-plug/reset procedure again.

Last edited by PARANOlD; 10-16-2019 at 07:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 01:57 PM   #5
PARANOlD
Private
Rep

Ended up replacing the LPFP fuel controller and the light went away spontaneously. Has been gone for months. Last week, got into the car and had a TPMS fault. Cleared that fault, and noticed a Service Due indicator for brake fluid. Airbag light came back on, this thing seems to have no sense of reason. Going to try the unplug/reset procedure again. Was so happy having no codes for a couple months - it was he happiest time of my car's life.
Appreciate 0