E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Anyone use Harbor Freight brake bleeder?

08-19-2019, 01:42 PM   #23
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvturbo View Post
I have that as well and honestly hate it. It's the same fitting for a VW in case anyone is curious.

IMO, the hose is way too long and you're literally introducing air into the reservoir than anything.

The other day, I replaced the brake pads on my 330i and decided to use it (I do have the Motive bleeder BTW). All you see is tiny air bubbles being pushed through. Stopped using it and went with the old technique of having someone press the brake pedal while I bled the fluid at the wheel hub.
I'm trying to help here ...

There ALWAYS is air in the reservoir. The brake system is open to the atmosphere. If it wasn't, as the pads wear, a vacuum would form in the system and it would lock up (vacuum lock). The cap has a tiny hole in the top, that is a vent to allow atmospheric pressure equalize the brake system. This is why the fluid needs to be flushed periodically because the fluid in the open reservoir attracts moisture (water vapor) from the air.

While the pressure bleeder looks like it is forcing air into the reservoir, it really isn't. Untrapped air always flows to the highest part of the system. Air is lighter (less molecular weight) than brake fluid, so you can't push the air past the fluid and into the brake system only until there is no more fluid left in the reservoir.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 01:46 AM   #24
Kenneykickin
///Kenney
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i / 06 330xi

How do you guys clean you’re motiv bleeder? I don’t have de natured alcohol on hand. Brake fluid is very water soluble. Think a water hose down would be alright?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 02:14 AM   #25
Kenneykickin
///Kenney
United_States
Rep

Also I can’t get my motiv to get higher than 7 psi. I tried it before I filled it up with fluid. And it takes quite abit of lumps. Doesn’t sound like it’s leaking?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 12:06 PM   #26
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneykickin View Post
How do you guys clean you’re motiv bleeder? I don’t have de natured alcohol on hand. Brake fluid is very water soluble. Think a water hose down would be alright?
the point of the alcohol is to remove the water so it doesn't get funky inside. also so it's dry and doesn't load up your brand new fluid with water the next time you use it. Clean it with water, get some alcohol and clean it soon.
it will be fine for a day or two.
you can get denatured alcohol at any small town hardware store or paint place. it's a common solvent. You could probably get it at a walmart sold as camp fuel.

Quote:
Also I can’t get my motiv to get higher than 7 psi. I tried it before I filled it up with fluid. And it takes quite abit of lumps. Doesn’t sound like it’s leaking?
it has no shut off for the hose. unless it's attached to a master cylinder it will not build pressure.
I'm surprised you even got it to 7. I'm impressed.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 03:13 PM   #27
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I wipe mine out with a blue shop towel. Then swish some denatured alcohol around in it. Then pump some of the alcohol out through the hose. Then I blow dry everything with shop air.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 03:15 PM   #28
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Is it connected to the brake reservoir?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 11:04 AM   #29
Kenneykickin
///Kenney
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsjames View Post
the point of the alcohol is to remove the water so it doesn't get funky inside. also so it's dry and doesn't load up your brand new fluid with water the next time you use it. Clean it with water, get some alcohol and clean it soon.
it will be fine for a day or two.
you can get denatured alcohol at any small town hardware store or paint place. it's a common solvent. You could probably get it at a walmart sold as camp fuel.

it has no shut off for the hose. unless it's attached to a master cylinder it will not build pressure.
I'm surprised you even got it to 7. I'm impressed.
Lol. I had it connected to resovior but with no fluid and could only get it to pump to 7. Re tightened hose connections and was good to go. Did my flush around 12-15 psi consistently. Only got 1 full motiv catch bottle full tho from all 4 corners. Pedal is hard.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 11:51 AM   #30
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

that sounds about right.

I do a full flush with less than a liter of fluid.
Appreciate 0