E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > LR window moves in 2" increments after regulator replacement

08-01-2015, 09:30 PM   #1
Multibimmer
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

LR window moves in 2" increments after regulator replacement

Didn't see a category that quite fit, so this seems to be the closest one. Moderator, feel free to move it to a more appropriate location.

After replacing the regulator on the drivers side rear window of my 07 328i, the window moves about two inches when pressing the switch either up or down, then stops. When I press the switch again, it moves another two inches, then stops again. It continues this way all the way up and down. It isn't binding, making any noises, or giving any other signs of struggling, and it behaves this way whether I use the switch in the drivers door, or the one in the left rear door. And a warning light comes on for about a minute after starting the car with a yellow picture of a car door window. After a minute, the light goes off and stays off. It's as though it's stuck in some weird mode, but I don't understand how replacing the regulator could have caused this. I wonder if it went into this mode when the old regulator broke as a way to protect the motor from burning out. Any idea how to reset it? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2015, 10:52 PM   #2
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multibimmer View Post
Didn't see a category that quite fit, so this seems to be the closest one. Moderator, feel free to move it to a more appropriate location.

After replacing the regulator on the drivers side rear window of my 07 328i, the window moves about two inches when pressing the switch either up or down, then stops. When I press the switch again, it moves another two inches, then stops again. It continues this way all the way up and down. It isn't binding, making any noises, or giving any other signs of struggling, and it behaves this way whether I use the switch in the drivers door, or the one in the left rear door. And a warning light comes on for about a minute after starting the car with a yellow picture of a car door window. After a minute, the light goes off and stays off. It's as though it's stuck in some weird mode, but I don't understand how replacing the regulator could have caused this. I wonder if it went into this mode when the old regulator broke as a way to protect the motor from burning out. Any idea how to reset it? Thanks.
Just replaced my rear passenger side regulator today. Had the same issue. The solution is simple. Roll it all the way down and when it is down hold the button down for 15 seconds. Then roll the window up and when it reaches the top hold the button up for 15 seconds. That's it.
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2015, 09:30 AM   #3
Multibimmer
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

Well, like magic, it's working now. I didn't do anything else - just went to try holding the switch down longer to reset it (I had held it down about five seconds, per an earlier recommendation), and it went all the way down on the first attempt, and is working perfectly normally now. Weird.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 05:19 PM   #4
TTBadDog
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Old post but only one I found relevant. I just purchased a 07 328i and PO had paid dealer to replace passenger rear window regulator. Upon rolling rear window down (in automatic mode) it ran full down but refused to roll back up. I could see it start its way up but it was getting caught on something and then going back down. I was able to eventually place a wedge and guide the window from catching on the weather strip or whatever it was catching on.
Upon comparison when fully down it appeared to be deeper into the door than the other window. My assumption is that it simply is going down too far and falling into or interfearing with something on the way back up. If I run it down and stop at the same height as the passenger rear window it goes back up just fine.
What adjustment am I looking for? My redneck fix would seem to be put a stop block in there and see what happens. Is there a stop adjustment? I did read about putting it down in non automatic mode then holding the auto down for 15 seconds.
Links for how to correct this? As I don't know exactly what the issue is I am having trouble finding how to fix it!
Appreciate 0