E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Auto dip vs auto dim, heated side mirrors

11-17-2018, 06:44 AM   #23
mwalshjrma
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i xdrive

i have a 2010 328i xDrive with option: S430A Interior/outside mirror with auto dip.
question: what is "auto-Dip"?

thank you
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2023, 03:24 PM   #24
72GMC
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

dip = dim

The same way dipped headlights = low beams

Auto dip has nothing to do with the mirror tilting downward when you put the car in reverse.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2023, 03:48 PM   #25
Dx11
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93

About the heated side mirrors, asked the dealer about this once, he said they always heat up below a certain temperature (I think 5c) and you cannot manually turn them on/off. So no, when it rains while it's not cold, they won't heat up.

And the auto dimming mirrors are pretty hard to see, even when it's super dark out it doesn't really get as blue as older cars. But you CAN test it during daylight by covering the rear sensor of the inside mirror. If you don't have a clearly visible circle in the inside mirror, you don't have any auto dimming, if you cover the rear sensor, shine a light on the mirror, and only the inside darkens, you have only inside dimming, and if the sides also dim (they don't have their own sensors) you have all-dimming.

I also seem to remember the side-dimming comes in the same package with side-electric-folding.
Appreciate 1
Mike K322.00
      04-25-2023, 07:48 AM   #26
TyroneShoelaces
Captain
Rep
Drives: E91 N54 swapped

This is interesting about the heated mirrors need low outside temps to turn on. In FL we deal with heavy dew on the mirrors 8 months of the year since I park outside. I notice that the defroster used to clear the windshield doesn't turn on the mirrors like other cars I have. Makes life a lot easier to have use of mirrors for the first 5 minutes of the drive.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2023, 07:51 AM   #27
Dx11
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyroneShoelaces View Post
This is interesting about the heated mirrors need low outside temps to turn on. In FL we deal with heavy dew on the mirrors 8 months of the year since I park outside. I notice that the defroster used to clear the windshield doesn't turn on the mirrors like other cars I have. Makes life a lot easier to have use of mirrors for the first 5 minutes of the drive.
I also would prefer it if the mirrors would heat up at the same time as the back window, which does make sense. But I guess BMW thought: side mirrors you need every cold morning, rear window people don't always care about/defrost.

(I've driven a van for years, you kinda get used to not having it).
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2023, 10:38 AM   #28
TyroneShoelaces
Captain
Rep
Drives: E91 N54 swapped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dx11 View Post
I also would prefer it if the mirrors would heat up at the same time as the back window, which does make sense. But I guess BMW thought: side mirrors you need every cold morning, rear window people don't always care about/defrost.

(I've driven a van for years, you kinda get used to not having it).
I wonder if there is a coding option for this to change mirror defrost behavior? I'll look around in Protools to see. My back wiper doesn't work on my wagon since I swapped a sedan clockspring in but at least the defroster does to remove dew.
Appreciate 0