E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Lil-pinki's e92 335d - Velvet Purple - Engine Problems Resolved

11-11-2014, 04:01 PM   #45
richk84
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: e93 330i

LCI rears look great, transforms the rear end
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2014, 04:19 PM   #46
themanthatcan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i MSport

Car is looking great bud..the LCIs work their magic on an E92 rear end again
      11-11-2014, 05:36 PM   #47
Lil-pinki
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ess View Post
Beautiful car, love love love the colour.
The tint is a huge improvement!
Also, in my opinion, there is a very good reason that wood trim is rare Good call on the piano black!
Are black grilles on the cards? And perhaps new wheels?
Haha cheers mate Yeah well I guess the wood trim is a bit like marmite!!

Black grilles... have you been reading my shopping list I actually ordered them the other day from SSDD so just waiting for them to come, will hopefully get them fitted at the weekend

On the wheel front... Would love to stick on a set of 20 inch Avantgarde M359 alloys in hyper silver... but i think that might have to be one to go on the christmas list £££
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2014, 05:43 PM   #48
Lil-pinki
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by richk84 View Post
LCI rears look great, transforms the rear end
Quote:
Originally Posted by themanthatcan View Post
Car is looking great bud..the LCIs work their magic on an E92 rear end again
Cheers lads

Yeah it's no wonder that it is such a popular upgrade!! Think once I've got the outside up to spec, the sound system will be next on the list to get some work. Have been reading up and found that I've got the base spec system, which is pretty average at best, so I'll be coming your way for some advice on that front!!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 08:58 AM   #49
dy63
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30

any chance of more pics on your black interior trim? torn whether to go carbon or gloss black. pic of it all in would be great not much of the close ups
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2014, 10:51 AM   #50
Lil-pinki
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupraraj View Post
any chance of more pics on your black interior trim? torn whether to go carbon or gloss black. pic of it all in would be great not much of the close ups
Yeah can do, will try and get some better pictures of it tomorrow. Saw your thread there, think yous would pretty epic with the piano black too, even with the light carpets I think it would be a nice contrast. It's not really that hard to keep clean, yes finger prints show up but I just keep a really really soft microfibre in the car to wipe them off
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 04:06 AM   #51
dy63
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

get some pics up also of the front black grilles if youve fitted them.

would defo get the rear boot lip spoiler put on. its a small mod but makes a big difference
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 05:28 AM   #52
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Very nice colour combo and some nice mods too.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 07:55 AM   #53
'V'
Captain
Rep
Drives: ~Carbon black F36

What a stunning car/colour
Black grills are a must! They'd look the nuts on this
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 07:52 PM   #54
Lil-pinki
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hi guys,

As was probably to be expected... the student loan ran out and so the plans had to be cut back slightly! Getting back on the bandwagon now over the summer so there should be a few more mods coming up

Unfortunately I've been having a few issues over the last few days. On Saturday whilst driving on a back road, out of nowhere the engine cut out with no warnings on the dash or no strange noises. That was the first time it has happened but it has got a lot worse last night and today, to the extent where it cut out 6 times in as many minutes on a main road as I was taking it to get it looked at. It seemed to only be with medium to hard acceleration at first but once the car has warmed up it cuts out with any real acceleration at all and only seems to happen when at speed.

When it cuts out it will not start again until the key has been taken out and put back in again but will then happily fire up on the first turnover. After trying and failing to get it to the garage I had to call in some outside help

The garage is going to investigate it over the next few days so it will be interesting to see what they come up with... and hopefully it won't be anything too expensive!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 05:03 PM   #55
Ash-335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F11 535i M Sport

Sorry to hear of your engine issues. Good luck getting it sorted!!

Otherwise that is a gorgeous e92. My e46 330ci convertible was Individual Velvet Blue and I loved it!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 07:00 PM   #56
Lil-pinki
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash-335i View Post
Sorry to hear of your engine issues. Good luck getting it sorted!!

Otherwise that is a gorgeous e92. My e46 330ci convertible was Individual Velvet Blue and I loved it!
Thanks mate it's in bad need of a good clean but it'll get there!

Yeah it's a bit of a pain! Haven't heard anything from the garage yet but they had hoped to get in on the computer today to see if it has thrown any errors when it has been cutting out, but i guess time will tell.

I had my heart set on a velvet blue e46 m3 a few years ago but the price of the insurance said otherwise!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 04:32 PM   #57
Lil-pinki
Enlisted Member
Rep

Just a little update but unfortunately not one to say that the car is now back on the road.

The car has been at a local BMW Indie garage where they have been trying to diagnose the cause of it cutting out. The initial thought was the crankshaft sensor or fuel filter however after replacing both of these the problem still remains.

From having the car on the computer, as well as running diagnostics whilst driving it is showing no errors or faults which is a pain as it leaves no definite route of inquiry to follow. The next step is to have the injectors checked to make sure they are functioning correctly, and so this will be done over the next day or two.

Any suggestions or similar experiences would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Lil-pinki; 06-17-2015 at 08:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2015, 02:19 PM   #58
ade146
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330d sport auto

Very little to go on. It is really unlikely to be injectors as they dont all fail at the same time and when one goes, its gone.
You havent said what happens when it cuts out but if you lose electrics like that fuse box issue they sometimes get. It may well not show any codes. Fuel pump etc would have thrown a pressure fault although dodgy fuel may not.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2015, 06:39 PM   #59
Lil-pinki
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ade146 View Post
Very little to go on. It is really unlikely to be injectors as they dont all fail at the same time and when one goes, its gone.
You havent said what happens when it cuts out but if you lose electrics like that fuse box issue they sometimes get. It may well not show any codes. Fuel pump etc would have thrown a pressure fault although dodgy fuel may not.
I would love to have more to go on but that's really all there is
It cuts out when driving normally (started mainly when accelerating but got worse), small judder before everything cuts out. No warnings on the dash and all power including power steering cuts out. When you hit the power button the car will then turn over but will not start until the key is removed and put back in when it will then start first time.

Yeah I'm thinking along the same lines of it not being the injectors but they have been removed to be checked anyway so I should know the outcome tomorrow. The car has been run on BP Ultimate Diesel so it shouldn't be a fuel issue.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 03:31 AM   #60
Iforb
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F31 330D/E92 335D

I'm afraid I'm in the camp of "no idea other guesses."

It sounds to be some form of ECU related problem, or even battery related, as a drop in voltage can completely stuff things up.

All I can really say is good luck with it. Fingers crossed it's something relatively simple.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2015, 08:42 AM   #61
Lil-pinki
Enlisted Member
Rep

Just after picking the car up from the indie there ad I'm very glad to say that the issue now seems to be resolved, touch wood!

After two weeks of investigations it was found that the cause of the car cutting out was the failure of not just one or two, but all six injectors. Specifically it was the main solenoid within the injector that had failed on each of them.
When the car was idling the solenoid was just about able to cope but when I went to accelerate it and the pressure increased it wasn't able to function properly, causing the engine to shut down as a precautionary measure.

I have only driven a few miles since but will get a good run out in the car this weekend to make sure everything is as it should be.

While it was in the garage I also got them to do a transmission fluid change and reset the gearbox adaptations, as well removing the swirl flaps and replacing them with the larger 32mm blanking plates. Even after only a few miles of driving I can feel a massive difference in the smoothness of the gear changes but will get a better idea after a few more miles
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2015, 04:24 AM   #62
ade146
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330d sport auto

All six injectors breaking at the same time was pretty unlucky. I'm glad they found the problem
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2015, 04:43 AM   #63
dm2583
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i | E36 M3

I had this same problem on my 335i. Engine would randomly cut out.

Took Bmw 3 days to get to the bottom of it, end result was 6 new injectors and spark plugs.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 04:14 PM   #64
bazz780
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 330d m sport

A relative of mone had the same issue where it cut out on motorway twice leaving not power steering or brakes (lucky he pulled over safely both times)

Bmw reset the ecu and he has not had the problem since

This was on a 07 320d
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 05:33 PM   #65
dy63
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

did u have warranty?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2015, 09:23 AM   #66
Lil-pinki
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ade146 View Post
All six injectors breaking at the same time was pretty unlucky. I'm glad they found the problem
Yeah it was a pain but what can you do I guess atleast now I've got some nice new injectors lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm2583 View Post
I had this same problem on my 335i. Engine would randomly cut out.

Took Bmw 3 days to get to the bottom of it, end result was 6 new injectors and spark plugs.
That is an absolute bummer too! Although 3 days to resolve it was pretty good

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazz780 View Post
A relative of mone had the same issue where it cut out on motorway twice leaving not power steering or brakes (lucky he pulled over safely both times)

Bmw reset the ecu and he has not had the problem since

This was on a 07 320d
Oh really? I definitely could have coped with it just being something relatively simple like that!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupraraj View Post
did u have warranty?
Nope unfortunately not so it definitely put a dent in the mod budget!!
Appreciate 0