E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > '10 335d @ 95k w/ no CBU cleaning sell or hold?

10-10-2014, 11:49 AM   #1
pondo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

'10 335d @ 95k w/ no CBU cleaning sell or hold?

I have a 335d i bought several years ago used with 40k miles on it and have loved this car but as i've seen many users express the same feelings - scared of the costs outside of warranty. It's currently a 100k CPO vehicle.

I've had relatively no issues with the car with only 3 visits to the dealer outside of routine maintenance.
1. HPFP failure @ 50k
2. Urea injection pump failure @ 85k
3. Dead battery @ 92k

I've never had the issue with carbon build up as many other users have and I'm unsure why? Am I rolling the dice with odds against me on injector and carbon buildup issues?

My service adviser is a buddy of mine and his advice, quietly spoken, was that the 335d in general has much less issues than other 3 series vehicles but owning any bmw outside of warranty is a huge risk. There's a good BMW shop down the street from me but they rarely ever see a diesel bmw...

Opinions please?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 11:56 AM   #2
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d

Quote:
Originally Posted by pondo View Post
I have a 335d i bought several years ago used with 40k miles on it and have loved this car but as i've seen many users express the same feelings - scared of the costs outside of warranty. It's currently a 100k CPO vehicle.

I've had relatively no issues with the car with only 3 visits to the dealer outside of routine maintenance.
1. HPFP failure @ 50k
3. Dead battery @ 92k

I've never had the issue with carbon build up as many other users have and I'm unsure why? Am I rolling the dice with odds against me on injector and carbon buildup issues?

My service adviser is a buddy of mine and his advice, quietly spoken, was that the 335d in general has much less issues than other 3 series vehicles but owning any bmw outside of warranty is a huge risk. There's a good BMW shop down the street from me but they rarely ever see a diesel bmw...

Opinions please?
It kind of depends on what your needs are as well as your wallet.

If the car is enjoyable, has nothing wrong with it, and you can justify a large repair bill as opposed to a monthly payment on a newer or new car, then I would keep it. My 2011 335d has lost $20-25K in resale value over 3 years. I doubt your repair bills will be more than that, while depreciation will continue at a lower pace.

My wife insisted I sell my previous car because it failed on her twice when driving away from home. It was my car and I wanted to keep it past 203,000 miles, but sold it to my mechanic and bought the 335d.

Drive safe and happy.

PL
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 12:06 PM   #3
PSEE
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d

you're asking this crowd?!?

I keep wondering about all of the 335d owners out there who *aren't* posting
about CBU and other issues...

this forum constantly hears from a small number of members...

Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 01:34 PM   #4
pondo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Most people don't have 100k miles on their cars either. Maybe mine was a Weds build instead of Monday/Friday.

In terms of depreciation I paid $29k for the car 4 years ago and I guess its worth ~18k now? Not terrible, granted it's the most i've ever loss on a used car ever!

I figure this board has many mechanically inclined individuals with opinions based on fact and experience. Most people are brought to forums to fix their troubles though which isn't very representative.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 02:10 PM   #5
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335D

I think if you arent capable of fixing small things on your car that go wrong yourself, and owning outside of warranty is causing you discomfort, you shouldnt keep it. Ive owned mine out of warranty for about 40k miles so far, but I am not concerned about dealership bills to fix things because I take proactive measures and do all work myself. If you can afford to switch, its not worth worrying about your car all the time
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2014, 10:02 AM   #6
Cliffj
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 11 335d

93K miles and no CBU issues. No other issues either except an iDrive screen replaced under warranty.

11 335d Sapphire/BLK/M-sport/PP/NAV/6FL/HK & SAT Radio
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2014, 10:02 PM   #7
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by pondo View Post

1. HPFP failure @ 50k
3. Dead battery @ 92k

Opinions please?
I'd like to hear more information about #1. I only recall one US 335d HPFP failure on the forums I've frequented, and that was from obvious water contamination based on supplied pictures.

Any information/data you could supply about item #1 would be appreciated.
      10-12-2014, 08:35 AM   #8
135i_vs_
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5, 135i, 335d, F10 550xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIwyse View Post
I'd like to hear more information about #1. I only recall one US 335d HPFP failure on the forums I've frequented, and that was from obvious water contamination based on supplied pictures.

Mine was changed under warranty; dealer suspected it had something to do with the injector failures. However, it had nothing to do with anything. In their report, they wrote "found very small metal shaving". Not sure if they wrote that in the report for their warranty claim purposes or not..
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 07:39 AM   #9
pondo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIwyse View Post

The vehicle would sometimes not start for unknown reasons. I was stranded 300 miles away for a few hours. Sometimes waiting an hour or two, the car would start right up. I brought the car to the dealer and they suspected I had let the tank level drop too low; however, I always fill the car before the warning light comes up at the least. They finally replicated the issue and replaced the HPFP and never had the issue again.
Appreciate 0