E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > "Electrical System Failure" Dang It!

08-23-2018, 08:08 PM   #1
TooManyHobbies
Rep
Drives: 335d and an E46 325i

"Electrical System Failure" Dang It!

Start the car, every warning light in the dash turns on, iDrive screen goes blank, needles bounce around then I see that lovely message telling me there is an electrical system failure and I shouldn't drive my car.

I checked to see if my car was part of the battery cable recall, it is not. I did get a letter about the blower motor recall but have not had that done yet. I the car has somewhere around 70K miles on it. The USB power port in the console hasn't worked since I bought the car last year, maybe a short?

Before I start trying to diagnose this, I thought I'd check in to see what you guys think.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 08:21 PM   #2
dmanb2b
Banned
Rep
Drives: G07, F97, F30, E90, E46, E30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooManyHobbies View Post
Start the car, every warning light in the dash turns on, iDrive screen goes blank, needles bounce around then I see that lovely message telling me there is an electrical system failure and I shouldn't drive my car.

I checked to see if my car was part of the battery cable recall, it is not. I did get a letter about the blower motor recall but have not had that done yet. I the car has somewhere around 70K miles on it. The USB power port in the console hasn't worked since I bought the car last year, maybe a short?

Before I start trying to diagnose this, I thought I'd check in to see what you guys think.
Bad battery, ground or power cable, rdc or frm
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 09:45 PM   #3
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

Check battery voltage with multi meter. Things go coo coo at around ~11.9 VDC and lower.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 05:37 PM   #4
TooManyHobbies
Rep
Drives: 335d and an E46 325i

Thanks guys, I suspect it was the battery. I didn't check it but because I don't drive much in the summer and when I do it's to get something with my truck, I guess the battery was low. Now that I'm driving the car every day, I've not seen the warning. All has been well for a few weeks. Thanks again. Being kind of old school I wouldn't think a low battery would cause so many issues. It makes sense though.
Appreciate 0