E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > "Cheap" Tuned 335D from Copart - Missing parts

11-19-2022, 02:46 PM   #1
blasta510
Registered
Rep
Drives: e90 335d

Thumbs down "Cheap" Tuned 335D from Copart - Missing parts

Hey, I recently purchased this wrecked 2011 335D from an auction as I have been looking for a new daily driver for a few weeks now. Was no local cars for sale and I have purchased a few cars at Copart over the years and the cosmetic repair is no problem.
One of the things that drew me to this car was the fact that I could see the rear bumper/ exhaust had some soot on it, upgraded intercooler pipe/ EGR delete and I figured id spend a little more since I wouldn't have to do the tunes and delete myself. Also had a Bimmerpost sticker and a few other stickers on the rear glass that made me assume it was an enthusiast who owned it.

Got the car delivered about 2 weeks ago, the first thing I noticed when pulling it off the transport trailer ( shipped from NV to Co ) was the downpipe and exhaust were missing. I was pretty bummed as the car had more damage to the oil pan /Suspension/ radiator support/ intercooler than I initially thought.

Just yesterday I had a stack of parts ready to install, intercooler, radiator, suspension, downpipe, and battery cable. Got everything installed and went to try and start it for the first time. Just cranked. Turns out that the car was missing the ECU.

Looking for advice on the procedure for replacing the ECU and getting a tune at the same time. Unless I could find the previous owner here, and buy the old one

With the cost of a new ECU $800+ and a tune of $1000+, plus a bunch of other parts I have not bought yet + time to replace/paint the parts id be close to 11k in the car, and I could have just bought a non-salvage title one ready to go for that

Debating on parting it out and starting fresh

Appreciate 0
      11-29-2022, 01:16 PM   #2
nictobin
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasta510 View Post
Hey, I recently purchased this wrecked 2011 335D from an auction as I have been looking for a new daily driver for a few weeks now. Was no local cars for sale and I have purchased a few cars at Copart over the years and the cosmetic repair is no problem.
One of the things that drew me to this car was the fact that I could see the rear bumper/ exhaust had some soot on it, upgraded intercooler pipe/ EGR delete and I figured id spend a little more since I wouldn't have to do the tunes and delete myself. Also had a Bimmerpost sticker and a few other stickers on the rear glass that made me assume it was an enthusiast who owned it.

Got the car delivered about 2 weeks ago, the first thing I noticed when pulling it off the transport trailer ( shipped from NV to Co ) was the downpipe and exhaust were missing. I was pretty bummed as the car had more damage to the oil pan /Suspension/ radiator support/ intercooler than I initially thought.

Just yesterday I had a stack of parts ready to install, intercooler, radiator, suspension, downpipe, and battery cable. Got everything installed and went to try and start it for the first time. Just cranked. Turns out that the car was missing the ECU.

Looking for advice on the procedure for replacing the ECU and getting a tune at the same time. Unless I could find the previous owner here, and buy the old one

With the cost of a new ECU $800+ and a tune of $1000+, plus a bunch of other parts I have not bought yet + time to replace/paint the parts id be close to 11k in the car, and I could have just bought a non-salvage title one ready to go for that

Debating on parting it out and starting fresh

Malone tuning and kassel tuning can both tune and ship a brand new ECU for not too much. if i were you. i would attempt to find a shop near you that can actually tune a 335D on a dyno. buy a new ECU, slap that sombitch in there and have them code through the error codes and then tune it for you. but with a missing ECU and aftermarket parts, you're gonna be spending some money getting it going again.
Appreciate 0