E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY Angel Eye Daytime Running Light

10-17-2013, 10:33 AM   #1
speedingtickets
Rep
Drives: BMW 2006 325i e90

DIY Angel Eye Daytime Running Light

Here is a simple DRL angel eye mod

This DIY is mostly for the people who doesn't want to spend money on coding their BMW or someone similar to me who's driving an earlier version of BMW without coding option (2006 e90).

In this DIY, you are basically building your own Dæos DRL Harness and this can be done within a 10 dollars budget and 20 minutes of your time.

Here are the list of things to purchase.

SPDT - 4 dollars on Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Absolute-RLS12...&keywords=spdt

Wires - Free telephone wires

10amp inline fuse - 3 dollars on Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A1IBW2HULNJLEY

Aside from Amazon, all items can also be purchased from your local hardware store/radio shack/auto store.

After spending an entire afternoon installing, the old electrical diagram didn't work, as my e90 would report lamp error on the dashboard.
Here is the electrical diagram for installation.

Red/white 12v wire tap is found in the ECU box under the hood.

Black/Green (Black/Blue - depend on the year of BMW) can be found on the headlight wiring harness

Yellow/Blue can be found on the headlight wiring harness.

With that been said, I have updated my electrical installation diagram.
Name:  20131022_195353.jpg
Views: 14331
Size:  95.5 KB

This version uses one more SPDT relay and added a 10 amp diode to compensate/fixing the dash error. The basic idea behind the wiring diagram is to draw up to 120 watts from accessory line (12v x 10a = 120 watts) when electricity isn't present on the original angel eyes hotline and switch off the accessory line draw when angel eyes hotline is hot.

12V Accessory wire from ECU box is Red/White line
12V Angel Eyes line from headlight harness is pin 1 on the harness (Black/Green or Black/Blue - depend on the year of BMW)
You can ground the relays on any bolt.

If you still need additional help on installing, you can follow the installation video for Dæos DRL Harness on youtube
Attached Images

Last edited by speedingtickets; 10-24-2013 at 11:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 09:57 AM   #2
Augster
Master Gunner
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sport

Garage List
Question

Thanks for putting together a schematic and parts list!

Do you have pix of your installation?

Where did you place the bulky relays, fuse, and diode? Somewhere along the wiring harness within the open engine bay, or inside the electrical junction box (seems to be a tight fit inside of it, last I looked)?

What is the purpose of the RTV?

On your handwritten schematic, the top 12V line, what is that code "AC"? Or is that "AL"? The wire color?

Regarding "coding," are you referring to activating DRL via the BC dash/iDrive menu? Or are you referring to a factory option to enable just the Angel Eyes? I have a 2008 non-iDrive and I have the DRL option on the BC dash which, of course, only activates the Halogen bulb and not the Halo's. Hence, the need for the DAEOS mod.

Or is this mod you've provided only for E90's that have no DRL option at all?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 11:47 AM   #3
speedingtickets
Rep
Drives: BMW 2006 325i e90

AC is my short hand for 12 volt accessory wire in the ECU box. It's a red/white wire which can be found on the installation video at 2:40 - 3:00 mark.

I installed my mod right behind my passenger headlight with some 3m double sided taps. I will post some pictures later tonight.

RTV? You mean the clear silicon sealant? clear silicone sealant is a common tool for electrical work. The silicone itself starts out as a smelly, sticky material but once exposed to the air it forms into a clear rubbery plasticine that's super easy to peel off and doesn't damages the surface it was placed on. It can also be used as water seal/electric firewall/and normal adhesives. You should have one in your tool box and it's cheap too. only 5 dollars on amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-80050...licone+sealant

What I mean by coding is that the newer generation BMW's can code their ECU chip to use angel eyes as DRL. You can ask your local BMW dealership to see if it's an option for your BMW. They usually charge anywhere from 80-200 dollars for coding. You can also do some coding yourself by purchasing a 50-130 dollar cable and some special software. There is a sticky on the DIY forum for that information.

If coding is not an option for you, the only way to make angel eyes as DRL is through hardware mod. - DAEOs Mod or my mod.

FYI: DRL comes as standard for all 2005 and up BMW's

Last edited by speedingtickets; 10-24-2013 at 01:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 01:46 PM   #4
Augster
Master Gunner
Rep

Garage List
There seems to be conflicting information posted on the various forums as some people with pre-LCI E92's factory Xenon's have chimed in saying that Angel Eyes can be set as DRL's with no other hardware for all E9x, but then there are other posts that state that pre-LCI E90's (Sedans) with factory Xenon's have special purpose halogens for DRL's that are activated via BC dash/iDrive, and the Angel Eye's only come on when the Xenon's are on or if the dedicated DRL's are deactivated and the light switch is set to Parking Lights (but this also turns on the side marker lights).

Since I have a 335i E90 Sedan with factory Xenons, this is the particular model I'm interested in enabling Angel Eyes only as DRLs. So from what I gather, if I just want the Angel Eyes to automatically come on by themselves (no side marker lights) as truly DRL's (and bypasses the factory DRL's), a DAEOS harness from either a manufacturer or a DIY harness as the one you've made is the only way to accomplish this (no coding required).
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 05:31 PM   #5
Augster
Master Gunner
Rep

Garage List
This is a follow-up to my quest to enable AE's as my DRLs. Since my vic already came with an FRM2 standard, I only had to code the NFRM by setting the following:
  • TAGFAHRLICHT_ECE_1 --> aktiv
  • VERHALTEN_DRL_TFL --> drl_s
  • DRL_TFL_MIT_SML --> aktiv

Voila!
      07-25-2014, 05:19 AM   #6
samies
Registered
Finland
Rep
Drives: E91

Hello

I'm sorry my English is not very good ... Can I get another SPDT terminal numbers? Where is the power (30) Remote (86) Where is the 87 and 87a?

thank you

Sami
Finland
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 06:55 AM   #7
danoelise
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

Carly - FRM1/FRM2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augster View Post
There seems to be conflicting information posted on the various forums as some people with pre-LCI E92's factory Xenon's have chimed in saying that Angel Eyes can be set as DRL's with no other hardware for all E9x, but then there are other posts that state that pre-LCI E90's (Sedans) with factory Xenon's have special purpose halogens for DRL's that are activated via BC dash/iDrive, and the Angel Eye's only come on when the Xenon's are on or if the dedicated DRL's are deactivated and the light switch is set to Parking Lights (but this also turns on the side marker lights).

Since I have a 335i E90 Sedan with factory Xenons, this is the particular model I'm interested in enabling Angel Eyes only as DRLs. So from what I gather, if I just want the Angel Eyes to automatically come on by themselves (no side marker lights) as truly DRL's (and bypasses the factory DRL's), a DAEOS harness from either a manufacturer or a DIY harness as the one you've made is the only way to accomplish this (no coding required).
Did you figure this out? Since you have an '08, you should have an FRM2. You could code it with Carly for BMW pretty easy, or get a cable as mentioned. I have an early model '07 unfortunately, so I either need to find a used FRM2 and code that to the car or do the hardware DIY.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 07:10 AM   #8
Augster
Master Gunner
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by danoelise View Post
Did you figure this out? Since you have an '08, you should have an FRM2. You could code it with Carly for BMW pretty easy, or get a cable as mentioned. I have an early model '07 unfortunately, so I either need to find a used FRM2 and code that to the car or do the hardware DIY.
I no longer have the 335i, nor any other BMW (for now, but someday...), but yes, I did eventually figure this out and was able to enable it via NFRM settings.

I believe these are the settings I used, according to the spreadsheet I had maintained of my programming:
  1. TAGFAHRLICHT_ECE_1 = aktiv
  2. VERHALTEN_DRL_TFL = drl_s
  3. DRL_TFL_MIT_SML = aktiv